XP Camper

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Octamog said:
before:
24483124-M.jpg

after:
243962272-M.jpg
That looks like a good possibility! I like it!

rideglobally

Adventurer
building an expedition camper

OutbacKamper said:
Here is just a hint of what is to come:

XPCamper.jpg

http://www.xpcamper.com/pages/about.html

A friend has been working hard for some time now on a new expedition camper design. It is a hardside pop-up designed for a full size pickup equipped with a flatbed.

Personally I am pretty excited about this project. They intend to sell complete campers equipped with top of the line components (think mini Earthroamer) and also unfinished shells that can be completed by the DIY type. 3 prototypes are currently being built at an undisclosed location in Northern California. Anyone interested in getting more info can put their name on an e-mail list at the website linked above.

Disclaimer: although the owner of XP Campers is a friend, I have no affiliation with the company, I just thought I would share the news.

Cheers
Mark

here is my link http://web.mac.com/sinag/globalcruiser/globalcruiser/globalcruiser.html i am currently trying to find someone that can build the camper shell, i have already send him an email. wonder what is the cost of finish and unfinished shell. what is a DYI?

boblynch

Adventurer
DIY stands for "do it yourself". It sounds like the XP Camper will be offered as a completed unit and also as a DIY shell. Depending on final dimensions and requirements either might be a fit for your cruiser. If not you may consider one of the popup truck camper (Outfitter, Hallmark, etc.).

The XP-XXL version discussed for the Octamog might make a nice standard model for the Fuso, Mog, etc.

How far along are they are on the prototypes? Any impressions on the roof system or other major features?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Octamog said:
...We coined it XP-XXL and I took a little time to redraw a rendering of the Octamog as it might look with an XP-XXL camper in place of the composite box it currently has:

That looks like a really good rig.

I'm curious, though about the tilt cab, and how that would work with the over-cab sleeping area?

I don't know much, but it seems to me you wouldn't want to have to demount the camper every time you need to access the engine. The slickest approach I have seen was one for sale in Australia* that had the camper mounted on a tilt tray. That way you could tilt the camper back far enough to allow enough clearance for the cab to tilt forward.

Here's a thread I started on it.

*Aren't most of the cool rigs in Australia?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
Australia or Arizona from what I've seen.

Or WalMart.

I just saw a rig from Germany parked in the local WalMart parking lot. Sorry, didn't have my camera. :(

geodasher

Observer
XPCamper prelim specs published

A section for the XPCamper has been started in the NATCOA forum with some details. Production may start around May. A promising concept!

haven

Expedition Leader
my take

Now that Marc Wassman has gone public with more information about his XP Camper, here is my take on this exciting new product.

The XP Camper is a plastic composite shell with pop-up top. The camper provides seating and sleeping space for two to four people.

The pop-up has permanent hard sides except for the cab-over. The cab-over has fabric sides attached so you can raise and lower the top without letting dirt and water in. Three hard panels can be swung down from the ceiling of the cab-over to cover the fabric when you want more protection.

Wet weight of the camper is estimated at 2000 lbs. That number does not include your gear, food, and toys. I think the flatbed and side boxes will weigh more than a pickup box, as well. So I think it's wise to consider a 2500-series truck to carry this much weight. (sorry, Tundra fans!)

The XP Camper is designed for a full-size, long bed truck. Dimensions are marginally bigger and 300 lbs heavier than the Four Wheel Campers "Keystone," 4WC's largest model. The XP Camper is noticeably smaller than most other manufacturers' models for full-size trucks. (This is a good thing!)

The camper is 8.75 ft long, so it should be carried on an 8 to 9 ft long flatbed. The camper is completely self-contained, and can be removed from the truck quickly and easily. Sealed storage boxes mounted below the sides of the flatbed add significantly to storage space.

The camper will have diesel powered cooktop, cabin heat and hot water. Onboard water capacity is 60 gallons fresh, 25 gallons grey, and a cassette toilet. The camper will have the capability to filter and treat its fresh water intake.

Camper electric power is provided by a bank of AGM batteries. An inverter provides 110V AC for devices that need it. An alternator will recharge the batteries, with solar panel assist. The refrigerator is 12V DC.

Price tag, including installation of the flatbed and storage boxes, is expected to be $60,000. I think this is a bargain considering the first-rate materials and equipment used in the XP Camper. Add $35,000 for a new 2500 series 4x4 truck, and you have a world-class expedition camper for a total just under $100K.

Chip Haven

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Chip;
A very well written and concise summary of xp camper features as we have come to expect from you.
However I think one fact needs to be clarified. Although the latest specs and drawings from XP show an 8'9" flatbed, this is actually mounted on a short box truck (look at the amount of rear overhang). Until recently Marc had planned to have a removeable section at the rear (approx 1'9" IIRC) to return the truck to a short bed when required. However I don't see any mention of this in the latest specs.

normal_XP_Specifications_08_03.jpg

I think the lighter coloured portion at the rear with the 45 degree angle is intended to be removable

Cheers
Mark

haven

Expedition Leader
center of gravity

Here's one example of a Four Wheel Camper "Eagle" model, which is designed for a full-length bed, installed on a short bed truck. Notice how much of the camper sits behind the rear axle.

bigcampersmalltruck1.jpg

This particular setup seems to work OK. There are more photos of the truck and camper in action at http://www.mrjohnson.org/FWC.html

The XP Camper is almost twice as heavy as the "Eagle" model, and we don't know the weight distribution. If you want to put an XP Camper on a short bed truck, you'll need to be careful that the center of gravity is in front of the rear axle!

Chip Haven

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
haven said:
If you want to put an XP Camper on a short bed truck, you'll need to be careful that the center of gravity is in front of the rear axle!
Chip Haven

Very true, but there are other even longer and heavier campers on the market for short box trucks, such as the 8'11" Northern Lite Queen Classic Special Edition (dry weight: 2050 lb + options)

811seqclassic.jpg

And the 8'9" long XP could be mounted on a long box truck if you were concerned about the weight distribution, since the bottom is completely flat, unlike the NL pictured above.

Cheers
Mark

boblynch

Adventurer
There are a few shortbed TCs that fall into this category. In most cases the weight distribution of the inside components is low and forward. The bigger problem would be all the heavy stuff folks lash to the outside (e.g., jerry cans, extra propane, bikes, spare tires, folding stairs, etc.).

Bob

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I emailed Marc a few times over the last week or so, and he mentioned that the first prototype would be finished within "weeks".
He said that they tooled the shop to be ready for production basically as soon as the proto is done.
Which i thought was both pretty cool for the market, and a smart business decision. :D

I'm really looking forward to seeing the end product, and the reviews by the first few buyers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94