XP Camper

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Here is just a hint of what is to come:

XPCamper.jpg

http://www.xpcamper.com/pages/about.html

A friend has been working hard for some time now on a new expedition camper design. It is a hardside pop-up designed for a full size pickup equipped with a flatbed.

Personally I am pretty excited about this project. They intend to sell complete campers equipped with top of the line components (think mini Earthroamer) and also unfinished shells that can be completed by the DIY type. 3 prototypes are currently being built at an undisclosed location in Northern California. Anyone interested in getting more info can put their name on an e-mail list at the website linked above.

Disclaimer: although the owner of XP Campers is a friend, I have no affiliation with the company, I just thought I would share the news.

Cheers
Mark

kcowyo

ExPo Original
OutbacKamper said:
Anyone interested in getting more info can put their name on an e-mail list at the website linked above.

Done!

Thanks for posting the link Mark. A very interesting looking concept...

VikingVince

Explorer
Thanks Mark...I added my name to the email list as well. I really hope they succeed. I want one! It would be nice if they could bring it in well under Earthroamer prices.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Hello everyone

I have had the chance to meet Mark's friend and I can testify of his complete dedication to this project. We spent a few hours discussing this configuration and I can assure you that he is very well aware of our needs.

I think we are going to like the final product - personally I can't wait..

:)

boblynch

Adventurer
Mark,

Any idea when the first prototype will be ready for testing? Is it being designed to fit a specific truck platform OR be flexible enough to mate to any full size truck? Also, do you know the projected fresh water tank size?

Can't wait to see the progress.

Bob

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
boblynch said:
Mark,

Any idea when the first prototype will be ready for testing? Is it being designed to fit a specific truck platform OR be flexible enough to mate to any full size truck? Also, do you know the projected fresh water tank size?

Can't wait to see the progress.

Bob

Bob;
I don't know the answer to any of these questions with 100% certainty. I do know that the original design called for a 60gal water tank, and that the flatbed and camper would be designed to fit any full size truck, but these specs are obviously all subject to change.

I would expect to hear more about the first prototypes in the early spring.

Cheers
Mark

Ruffin' It

Explorer
Pass through?

If that thing has a cab-to-camper pass through, I think it'd be about perfect. That's my big hand up right now. Being able to let my dogs roam around back and still come up and say "hi" to me is at the very top of my list of non-negotiables.

boblynch

Adventurer
I think the plan is for the camper to be removable so that the truck and flatbed may be used w/o the camper. Not sure about cab-access windows and/or pass thru options. We travel with a large dog (95+lbs) and are very interested to see the XP prototype.

I’ve also been researching pass-thru options for a removable camper. Bimobil in Germany (bimobil.com) offers this type of setup. Not sure of any others.

Bob

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I did some daydreaming about demountable truck campers a while back. I also want a full-sized pass-through, and one thought I had was to attach a sleeper to the flatbed that would mate to the cab in the same fashion as the camper.

Just a thought.

boblynch said:
I’ve also been researching pass-thru options for a removable camper. Bimobil in Germany (bimobil.com) offers this type of setup. Not sure of any others.

Bob

Bob, I've been on bimobil's site a few times, and haven't seen any pix of the pass-through. Can you tell me which model it was on?

Thanks,

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Ruffin' It said:
If that thing has a cab-to-camper pass through, I think it'd be about perfect. That's my big hand up right now. Being able to let my dogs roam around back and still come up and say "hi" to me is at the very top of my list of non-negotiables.

I would think that the only type of pass-thru possible would be thru the truck cab window and thru a front window on the camper, just like any conventional truck camper. This may be ok for a small dog but not very easy access for an adult except in an emergency.

Cheers
Mark

Octamog

Observer
Xp-xxl?

I contacted Marc at XPCamper to see if he would let me come by and see the progress he was making on his camper. I knew he was somewhere in N. California. When I asked where in N. California, imagine my surprise when I found his shop was (according to Mapquest) 2.1 miles from my house!

He invited me to come visit and I took the opportunity yesterday. We spoke for quite awhile and explored the possibility of building a custom version for the Octamog. I've been thinking about the possibility of using a "production" camper for the Octamog to expedite the completion of the truck. Marc and his crew seem to think that building a "stretched" (in multiple dimensions) of the XP Camper would be possible. We coined it XP-XXL and I took a little time to redraw a rendering of the Octamog as it might look with an XP-XXL camper in place of the composite box it currently has:

before:
24483124-M.jpg

after:
243962272-M.jpg

The camper would have to be lifted considerably off the bed to clear the cab of the Octamog, but it would provide a basement for extensive external storage and additional water tanks. It would also shorten the total length of the truck by two feet and height by 18 inches, but by virtue of having a cab-over sleeper the usable interior volume would increase. I'm excited at the possibility and will keep an eye on Marc's progress in the future!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles