The Muddy Mudskippermobile

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
The MuddyMudskippermobile

Hello everyone!

I stumbled upon this site doing an early a.m. Google search for nothing in particular and was quite fortunate having done so. The ExPo is awesome and has everything I like and then some!:wings:

Well this is my second Disco. My first one was rolled a few times on the freeway which I was lucky enough to walk away from unscathed. I had big plans for the first one but never got around to modifying it. Needless to say my short time with the first truck gave me the fever so I searched for a suitable replacement which ended up being a very nice bone-stock truck with 45,000 miles on the clock. I have owned many-a-form of wheeled transport but my Rover is by far one of, if not the best vehicle I have owned as it has facilitated all sorts of memorable lifetime experiences.

Here's the skinny:

Owner: Richard B.

Make: Land Rover
Model: Discovery SE7 (minus 1)
Year: 1997

Engine: 4.0 V8
Trans: ZF Auto (Stock)
T-Case: LT230 (Stock)
Front Axle: 4.10, ARB Locker, Great Basin Rovers double cardon front driveshaft, Rover Tracks HD Tie Rod, OME steering damper w/ relocate kit
Rear Axle: 4.10, ARB Locker, Great Basin Rovers HD rear axles, swaybar removed
Lift: OME N44 Front shocks w/ 751 springs, 1.25” spacers
OME N76 Rear shocks w/ 762 springs, 1.25" spacers
Tires: 265/75-16 Toyo Open Country M/T's
Wheels: 16x7 Land Rover NATO Wolf steel wheels

Additional Modifications:

Scorpion Racing 1.5" lowered front shock turrets
Scorpion Racing 2" lowered rear shock mounts
Expedition Exchange rear upper and lower spring retainers
Rockware rear trailing arms
Rockware frame sliders
Safari Snorkel w/ 7" Donaldson pre-cleaner
K&N air panel filter
2.25” exhaust tucked high with 40 Series Delta Flow Flowmaster
Safari Gard front bumper w/ skid plate
Safari Gard rear bumper
Warn M8000 winch
QT Services frt & rear diff guards
Rock Sliders made by The Chad
Land Rover adventure roof rack
Land Rover dog guard
Land Rover waterproofs
Land Rover rubber footwell mats and cargo mat
Rack mount Hi-Lift and shovel mount
6 PIAA 580 Series lights
1 PIAA 510 back up/utility light
15lb. onboard air tank w/ Source SupeFlo regulator
Optima Yellowtop
40 Channel Cheap-O CB
Outback Expedition Antenna Mount
Hood blackout
Spare tire mount bottle opener (oh yeah!)​

Scott Brady

Founder
Awesome to have you here. Looks like we have more than a few things in common!

Your disco looks great too. I will likely have some questions for you on it over the next few weeks. I am assembling the gear to do a mild up-kit to my 1995.

Hopefully we will see you on the trail

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
datrupr said:
Welcome to ExPo!!! Nice Disco!

Thanks Aaron!

expeditionswest said:
Awesome to have you here. Looks like we have more than a few things in common!

Your disco looks great too. I will likely have some questions for you on it over the next few weeks. I am assembling the gear to do a mild up-kit to my 1995.

Thank you Scott! It appears we do have a few things in common (pick the 640 Adventure!:D). I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about either.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Overland Hadley said:
Hi Richard.

Welcome to Expedition Portal.

Very nice looking rig you have there. What did you use for your hood blackout?

Thank you Nathanael!

I used a semi gloss paint and sealer like the kind they use for "sueded" hot rods/rat rods. A bit more expensive than buying the pre-made stickers they have for the discos but way less finicky, permanent, and straight. It was only $60 to have it done incuding paint and materials.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
MuddyMudskipper said:
Thank you Nathanael!

I used a semi gloss paint and sealer like the kind they use for "sueded" hot rods/rat rods. A bit more expensive than buying the pre-made stickers they have for the discos but way less finicky, permanent, and straight. It was only $60 to have it done incuding paint and materials.

Thanks, and a big thanks for the photo. Looks good.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Hey Richard, small world! Okay, it's killing me, what canyon are those photos from? I know I've been there, but I've got a mental block on it.

Cheers,

NW

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Well hello there!

nwoods said:
Hey Richard, small world! Okay, it's killing me, what canyon are those photos from? I know I've been there, but I've got a mental block on it.

Cheers,

NW

Mr. Woods!

It is indeed a small world. I recognize a couple names here on ExPo. That little trail is one that you should be very familiar with...recently familiar to be exact. Those photos were taken in Last Chance Canyon a week after the SCLR Nightmare Gulch run happened, which I would have gone on but I had already committed to leading a tour through the area months before. I would really like to do a big loop with Last Chance, Nightmare, and Opal Canyon sometime soon though.

Cheers!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
MuddyMudskipper said:
No problem. Is it for a Rover project or your OverTaco?

It would be for my Tacoma. I have lights on my rack, but it would also look good. Form follows function.

Did you do the painting yourself? And if you did, was it your first vehicle painting project?

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Overland Hadley said:
It would be for my Tacoma. I have lights on my rack, but it would also look good. Form follows function.

I had never paid any attention, but the hood on the Tacoma lends itself nicely to a blackout and I think it would look very nice. IMHO dechoming the grill would blend nicely.

Overland Hadley said:
Did you do the painting yourself? And if you did, was it your first vehicle painting project?

No I didn't do any of the painting on this. Typically I get relegated to prepping stuff but lucky for me this was a completely hands off endeavor.

My first painting project is happening very shortly. I have a whole new tank and set of plastics for my advbike that I am squirreling away in case I ever need them which has afforded the opportunity to paint the less than perfect stuff on the bike. I'd like to say that I am skilled enough to never fall off the thing but who am I kidding, it's an advbike....everyone falls. I will be painting the bike military drab olive since I was never particularly fond of the "look-at-me" green pearl factory orange anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles