The Muddy Mudskippermobile

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Flounder said:
I had a near brush with a cheap SD rack. I stopped a lady in a parking lot to ask if she'd sell her SD rack. She said, "love to so I can get in the garage!" I offered $300 and she jumped at the offer. 3 hours later I met her at her house to find her husband sanding in the driveway shaking his head. No dice. He quickly bumped the price to $900. So, I keep looking.

......always travel with tools and a check book!!!!!

Oh man sooooooooo close to the deal of a lifetime.

bovw said:
I just gave 800 for mine, with accessories thrown in.

That's pretty much the going rate for a used authentic rack. I got mine for $500 bucks from a guy that had a D90 and a newly acquired Series IIA. His Disco was dying and he didn't want to put any money into it. Fortuitous for me.:wings:

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
FourByLand said:
I would like to see it with the Swamper LTB's if you have any of those photos.

Ask and you shall receive. I'll even throw you a pic of my truck with Dunlop Mud Radials and a lift a month after I got it.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
FourByLand said:
We are still recovering... How did you guys make it on the drive out?

Nice skid plate by the way!

Nice pics! We made it home by 2:45 in the afternoon and it was a leisurely drive until we hit Randsburg Rd. Here came the wind and there went my speed and gas mileage. I had a great time.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Well I changed by ARB front bumper for the Safari Gard bumper in the fall of 07 but never mounted the control box for the winch. While I like the SG bumper better than the ARB, the SG does not give the user a dedicated spot to mount the winch box so I had to come up with a location.

ARB
DSCN0849-1.jpg

There are three light tabs on the bumper for lights. Since I wasn't mounting three lights on my bumper I had contemplated using the center tab to mount the winch control box. While the center light tab would have worked, I did not want to block the airflow to the radiator any more than I already had with the other two lights. I also felt that locating the winch control box on the center tab would have been a little unsightly.

SG
DSCN3490-1.jpg

I did some research to see what other Disco SG bumper owners had done and none of them would work for my application. Most moved the control box in front of the airbox behind the driver's side headlight which I couldn't do because the air compressor for my lockers is located there. So what I decided to do was mount the winch box behind the skid plate.

DSCN3498-1.jpg

DSCN3499-1.jpg

This was easily done as there were holes that already existed for a factory splash guard. I didn't have to make a bracket either as I still had the one used to mount the control box to the ARB, which had slotted holes that lined up. Once I mounted the box I had to relocate the control plug. I drilled out the rivets that were used to attach the plug to the box and then mounted the plug to my grill.

DSCN3501-1.jpg

DSCN3487-1.jpg

To ensure a good waterproof connection on the wire extension I used red (18-22 Ga.)Wurth Crimp/Solder/Seal connectors (#1559). Once the wires are crimped you use a heat gun which melts the solder and shrinks the plastic casing making the connection true and waterproof. The Wurth connectors are typically used for marine applications and are well worth the extra cost.

I mounted the control plug behind the main hoop of the brush guard so it would be a bit less conspicuous.

DSCN3488-1.jpg

So there you have it. Everything is where I want it to be and the winch now lives. I plan on switching over to synthetic winch rope eventually.

Last edited:

SMD

Adventurer
Very nice. I love the installation for the controller plug.

Have you done any additional waterproofing of the control box? Ever had a need to?

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Funrover said:
Looks good man!

Green96D1 said:
sweet.

we need to have like a green disco wheeling event!:jumping: :exclaim:

you guys want to drive north.

Thanks guys! I think that the Discovery holds the record for a production being available in the most variations of green.

One of these days I will make my way up north in the Rover, but hey, we could always meet in the middle.

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
SMD said:
Very nice. I love the installation for the controller plug.

Have you done any additional waterproofing of the control box? Ever had a need to?

Thank you. The only additional waterproofing I did was to heat shrink the ends that come out of the loom from the box and from the plug. I really did not think it would be necessary to do it to the box since it is a location very similar to the ARB and less exposed to the elements. I have an idea for better waterproofing if needed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles