I believe someone else previously posted, "WHen it rains, it pours...". Now it's...

m3 bavaria

Adventurer
UPDATE: The garage I trust a bit more ran a pressure test over night. When they came back today, the engine was hydrolocked. The #4 cylinder was full of water. They're saying the engine is toast and there's no point to fixing the head gasket. Thoughts?

As I see my options:

Used 4.2: $4-$5k and iffy reliability
New 4.2: $5-7k
New 4.6: $8kish

The truck is nice, but I really don't know if I should just abandon it or not. It has a new to it BW T-case with only 67,000 miles, new bilstiens all around, new brakes (calipers and rotors), a new custom exhaust, and an OME 2.5" lift with HD shock towers.

EricWS

Observer
Part out the nice parts and get a new truck if yuou have no strong attachment to that one. Call D&D and see what they are asking for a long block as well.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
UPDATE: The garage I trust a bit more ran a pressure test over night. When they came back today, the engine was hydrolocked. The #4 cylinder was full of water. They're saying the engine is toast and there's no point to fixing the head gasket. Thoughts?

As I see my options:

The truck is nice, but I really don't know if I should just abandon it or not. It has a new to it BW T-case with only 67,000 miles, new bilstiens all around, new brakes (calipers and rotors), a new custom exhaust, and an OME 2.5" lift with HD shock towers.

I would fix it, and go with the new 4.2. It's always tempting to get a different vehicle when something major goes, but then you lose all the progress and history you have with it. Unless it's a rust case, I say keep running it and making it better and better.

David

Eniam17

Adventurer
Does the shop have to sell you the used 4.2 or would they be willing to install one that you find yourself? If you could find one from a donor vehicle and make sure it's in good shape, I would think you could have much less than 4 or 5k into it. I lost the 3.9 in my classic and found a good 95 Disco 3.9 with 100k on it for under $500. Just trying to think of a way to help you keep the vehicle running without dumping $5k into the motor.

m3 bavaria

Adventurer
Does the shop have to sell you the used 4.2 or would they be willing to install one that you find yourself? If you could find one from a donor vehicle and make sure it's in good shape, I would think you could have much less than 4 or 5k into it. I lost the 3.9 in my classic and found a good 95 Disco 3.9 with 100k on it for under $500. Just trying to think of a way to help you keep the vehicle running without dumping $5k into the motor.

Their labor is $2,600. I'm open to used.

Eniam17

Adventurer
Their labor is $2,600. I'm open to used.

Might be a good idea to look for a vehicle that's totalled, rusted out, or has other issues, etc. and find a motor that's in good shape - maybe be into it for 3k +/- instead of 4 or 5.
If not, maybe part it out and move on to look for a new one. This is a bummer, hope it works out for you.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
That labor quote is crazy high. Even at $100/hr thats 26 hours to swap a motor in a classic! Swapping complete running engines takes one day. 8 hours max.

You really need to find a better mechanic.

m3 bavaria

Adventurer
This is the second shop I have been to. The other charged me 6 hours to swap the t-case and claimed it was an all day job. They made it seem like 2 hours was NUTS given all that had to come off.

rwhitmo04

As I see my options:

A relatively low mileage (as compared to the age of the truck) 4.2L can be had for not too much. I picked up a 4.2 to put in my '89 Classic from one of the parts distributors, put in a D&D cam, lifters, and timing chain kit for right around $1K. It sounds like you may not be up to doing this swap yourself, but getting a used engine is not a bad option. Getting a repair manual and basic engine building book will take you a long way if you're interested in doing your own work.

D&D Fab: http://aluminumv8.com/

Edit: I went back and read your original post again. Since you have a 4.6 already in it, I'd look into getting the pistons and rods checked. It sounds like the block is toast, but picking up a used 4.0 short block and throwing in your 4.6 pistons and rods seems like an option.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94