Need Tire Advice...

Zaphod

Adventurer
As we all know, the BFG AT KO is pretty darn popular around here. I had already decided to get mine when I ran across these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare2.jsp?resultsNumberSelected=Y&displayResults=10&shipquote=N&compare=true&partNumber=&make=&model=&clarifier=&width=265%2F&ratio=75&diameter=16&sortCode=&type=T&newCompare=true&autoMake=&autoModel=&autoYear=&autoModClar=&compareList=0%2C4%2C5%2C6&RunFlat=All&goWhere=%252Ftires%252FCompare1.jsp&AddToUser=true&performance=ORAT&startIndex=0&sortValue=1

As you will see, the Bridgestone tires are rated far better than the BFG's.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, can anyone identify the differences between the Bridgestones that would justify the price differences? Is it just load and speed rating?

Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
The link you provided doesn't work for me. It seems to be dependent on cookies from your machine (?).

I have not tried the Bridgestones. Can you post the tires you are looking at? Probably the Dueler AT's?

flywgn

Explorer
zaphod,

Jody Campbell at www.4X4review.com has this to say in his comments about the tire, "...but for light trail duties on a mostly stock truck, the new Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo is a perfect match."

Seems to me here the operant words are "light trail duties on a mostly stock truck."

Just another opinion about the tire.

I don't think the Dueler has a 3-ply sidewall, which is important to me in that we are constantly airing-down when we make our trips south of San Felipe (average 10 rd/trips/yr, therefore over 2000 miles of around 18# psi...and that doesn't count the miles in this country at low psi). When I pulled these OE tires (BFG Rugged Trail T/A) off our F250 with only 44k on them there was plenty of tread, but I don't trust the sidewalls beyond that.

You might check on the sidewall construction. From that link to Tire Rack I can't tell. Maybe I didn't read the review well.

Zaphod

Adventurer
I will say this. Saving $135 for a higher-rated set of tires strikes me as something of a good idea.

The Bridgestone seems hard to beat.

UncleChris

Adventurer
Zaphod said:
I will say this. Saving $135 for a higher-rated set of tires strikes me as something of a good idea.

The Bridgestone seems hard to beat.

I have the Revos on my Taco.

I originally got them because my truck was going to be a daily driver(yeah right).

The Revos are excellent on the road commute. They drive well, don't make a lot of noise and handle superbly.

We drove to Milwaukee for Christmas and hit snow around Salt Lake/Evanston Wyoming. The Revos had absolutely no problem in the snow on the freeway. We did have to kick it into 4 when we pulled into Evanston(both ways!) and the roads were unplowed (out) and glare ice(back).

I have had them offroad and I feel that they are much better offroad than my old BFG ATs were on my XJ, but that is not a valid comparison.

Last time we were atHollister when we got hit by torrential(slushy) rain. The trails all turned into a slimey clay. Justin was having problems with a normally easy trail that had turned into a grease pit. Once he got stuck, we were even having problems walking. The Revos had no problem in the section where he got stuck, did as well as could be expected in the downhill portion(it was really slimey). They did an excellent job for an AT tire.

Also did a Cal4Wheel snow run and only had problems when I hit a snowbank with enough momentum to lift the truck. I have had them on icy roads with a minimum of problems.

My only issue is that I got the PMetric version. I don't know if the durability will be up to the C or E ratings, although from the load, it appears that it is in between the two. Does anyone know if the P Rating affects the construction of the tires?

I will be getting a set of Muds, but will keep the Revos for Winter/everyday use.

The Revos are definitely a buy!

Last edited:

Zaphod

Adventurer
UncleChris said:
My only issue is that I got the PMetric version. I don't know if the durability will be up to the C or E ratings, although from the load, it appears that it is in between the two.

Uh..... What does all that mean? :smilies27 :smilies27

ETA: Never mind! I found it! :D

Just placed the order for the Bridgestones. Should have them mounted up this weekend. :D

Last edited:

UncleChris

Adventurer
Cool,

You will really like them!

Zaphod said:
Uh..... What does all that mean? :smilies27 :smilies27

ETA: Never mind! I found it! :D

Just placed the order for the Bridgestones. Should have them mounted up this weekend. :D

The Revos come in the following flavors for 265/75-16(from the TireRack.com)

265/75RR16 E - 123/120R Max load of 3415lbs
265/75RR16 C - 112/109S Max Load of 2470lbs
(P)256/75SR16 - 114SL Max Load of 2601lbs

The Es are Heavy Duty, the Cs Light, the Ps(D??????).

The Ps have a slightly narrower tread, and a whole bunch of buzzwords, BUT nowhere could I find tread ply ratings for any of them.

The Cs and Es have slightly more tread depth(16 vs 13 for the Ps).

So unless you are shopping for 265/75R16s, you won't care about the differences.

Also check out;
http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/02august/bridgestone_revo.asp

Zaphod

Adventurer
I got the 265/75SR16's. They will be more than adequate for anything I plan on doing, and the price could not be beat.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
So tell us how much you like them, any pictures? I had the revos before, but return them under the 30 days! Bought some ******** Cepeck a very good tire but noisy....Now I just purchase Geolanders AT II, because of their on road manners and off-road attitude, however I like the way they look stock from the side and a very agressive tread.:ylsmoke:

Zaphod

Adventurer
DOH! Forgot! :eek:

The first thing I noticed was a FAR better ride. Much, much smoother than before, but that could be just because I got new tires. I haven't tried them off-road, yet. May be a while.

They do look GREAT, though!

Before:

IMG_0390.JPG

After:

IMG_0393.JPG

Zaphod

Adventurer
Thanks!

Oh, yes. Much taller. I had stock 29's, and these are 32's. Good enough for me to now be debating whether I'm going to lift it at all, and even if I do, I'll only do an inch or so.

Justin

Observer
Thought I might chime in since you're on the Revo subject. I was boucing the BFG idea around and finally decided on the Revos for many reasons. I wanted to be different, and the feedback on the tires was good. Pricing was less than the BFGs for me as well. I have had them for about 6 months and so far so good. They're excellent in the rain and just as good on dry pavement. In the desert and on moderate rock crawling they've worked great. They provide a lot of grip wherever you need it, and they're not excessively loud on the highway. My only regret is that I didn't go with the 265/75s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online