Ford, Mercury and Mazda Owners: Let's see your Rigs

4x4junkie

Explorer
My RBV:

15839195_large.jpg

1990 Bronco II, Explorer axles (HP D35 + 8.8"), extended radius arms (home-built), Skyjacker XJ front coils w/12" Fox 2.0s on F-250 shock towers, Skyjacker rear leafs w/10" 2.0s, sitting on 35" GY MT/R-K tires (pic was with BFG MTs), + much more.

A little wheelin'

Camp setup:

More in my sig link
\/ \/

Paul!

'91 Explorer Sport

Okay, here's mine . . .

Live in the Pacific Northwest, but favorite four-wheeling spot is Moab ! ! ! Been attempting to transition to more "expedition style" adventures - - you know off the "beaten path" without "beating up" the rig, but no significant overland journeys lately.

Here's my Sport on Moab's SteelBender Trail, May 2010:
DSC02001_zps000d23a1.jpg

We are known for our wintertime rain in the Puget Sound area, but add a thousand or so feet of elevation and there's plenty of snow wheeling to be had. Lonesome Lake area near Mount Rainier, December 2011:
SnowSM_zpscb3360a9.jpg

Back to Moab, intial stages of the Cliffhanger trail, also from May 2010:
CliffHanger_zps96537495.jpg

Alvord Desert, Oregon May 2008:
AlvordExplorerSM_zps83008b6a.jpg

Good Stuff on the Sport:
ARB Lockers (front & rear) - installed 1999
Con-Ferr Roof Rack - installed 1999, attached to rig as needed
Hybrid Rancho/SuperLift Suspension Lift, (5", rear SOA) - installed 2000
Ramsey REP 8000 winch "hidden" in James Duff non-winch compatible pre-runner bumper - installed 2002
Swing-Away tire carrier with full size (33"x12.5") spare - 1st iteration installed 2002; current version 2010
Atlas II Transfer Case - installed 2005
ViAir compressor with tank - installed 2009
Safari Doors (for those of us "Built Low to the Ground") to aid in tire placement - installed 2010
Outback Solutions Drawer System (fabbed the shelves, and added side storage acess) - installed 2012:
AnchorsInSM_zps8c57d975.jpg
and,
ARB 37 Qt Fridge/Freezer - installed next week (en-route from distributor)

Happy Trails ! !

Paul!

nb11

Here's mine. Not much to it. Its a 2003 xl, meaning manual transmission, windows, locks, vinyl seats/floors. 2wd, 2.3l. Only things I've really added are some better looking wheels, 235/75 Duratracs, and a Hi-Lift. It gets me around for now, and averages 24mpg.
IMG_0037.jpg
DSC04764.jpg
IMG_1647.JPG
IMG_1661.JPG

Up next for it is hopefully a transfer case, so I can bump around in low range.

Tbars

Adventurer
..XL's rock..

..My 4wd XL came stock with twin sticks and the highly sought after 4:10 gears..:D

gas4blood

Observer
My 91 Explorer -

View attachment 156396

View attachment 156395

I built the bumpers, sliders, skid plates and my own front suspension. Rides on 32" tires.

Wow, I'm really digging up an old thread here but I just saw this rig on the latest episode of DIRT EVERY DAY. So cool to see an Explorer get some recognition! Looks like Fred really digs your build too.

I have always thought a first gen Explorer would be a great build. I have been tossing around the idea of another XJ, but the lack of a frame just eats away at me no matter how hard I try to get over it.

gas4blood

Observer
Okay, here's mine . . .

Live in the Pacific Northwest, but favorite four-wheeling spot is Moab ! ! ! Been attempting to transition to more "expedition style" adventures - - you know off the "beaten path" without "beating up" the rig, but no significant overland journeys lately.

Here's my Sport on Moab's SteelBender Trail, May 2010:
View attachment 156683

We are known for our wintertime rain in the Puget Sound area, but add a thousand or so feet of elevation and there's plenty of snow wheeling to be had. Lonesome Lake area near Mount Rainier, December 2011:
View attachment 156684

Back to Moab, intial stages of the Cliffhanger trail, also from May 2010:
View attachment 156685

Alvord Desert, Oregon May 2008:
View attachment 156686

Good Stuff on the Sport:
ARB Lockers (front & rear) - installed 1999
Con-Ferr Roof Rack - installed 1999, attached to rig as needed
Hybrid Rancho/SuperLift Suspension Lift, (5", rear SOA) - installed 2000
Ramsey REP 8000 winch "hidden" in James Duff non-winch compatible pre-runner bumper - installed 2002
Swing-Away tire carrier with full size (33"x12.5") spare - 1st iteration installed 2002; current version 2010
Atlas II Transfer Case - installed 2005
ViAir compressor with tank - installed 2009
Safari Doors (for those of us "Built Low to the Ground") to aid in tire placement - installed 2010
Outback Solutions Drawer System (fabbed the shelves, and added side storage acess) - installed 2012:
View attachment 156687
and,
ARB 37 Qt Fridge/Freezer - installed next week (en-route from distributor)

Happy Trails ! !

Paul!

Love this build! So many great ideas to pull from it. I am curious what flares you are running on this Sport?

gas4blood

Observer
I read that article. It was awesome! I still have that issue saved at home somewhere. I have been into the RBV scene for a few years now. My first 4x4 was a Bronco II. I had big plans for it but my college student budget at the time put those dreams to rest. Haha. I had found a first gen 5 speed/manual shift t-case Explorer back home that I really wanted to buy, but I was already full bore into my Wagoneer build. I am currently on the lookout for my next project and think the Explorer may be a great option. All of the points that have been brought up in this thread are spot on to what I have researched. These rigs are definetly under rated.

Last edited:

jturkey69

Observer
I need to update my pics, and prolly sig, but I really want to sas our 98 5.0 awd explorer.. I have the 4406, and front driveshaft, now just need the rear, and u joint conversion, and get after it! Already have swing out tire carrier, and built bumpers, dual exhaust, custom 3rd seat..etc

SteveG

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of TTB EXplorers and have owned a handful of first generation (hands down the best gen for off road). Even is stock trim, it is a brute that fares well when abused.

The supply of good first generation is dwindling but there are still some gems out there. I recently bought a 4 door with a manual trans, transfer case and hubs and, although I'm a high-speed desert racing junkie, am building it for slower-paced expedition/touring use. Of course, it will include enough high-speed goodies to make sure it can handle being opened up in the rough... I can't leave my roots entirely behind! The purchase price was $1400 and I've probably got another $1,000 in mostly parts (including $350 for some used (like-new) 31" tires) to make it just about perfect. I'm not just fixing the major stuff. All the little stuff that most people let go on an older car are being fixed or replaced. I want a sound, comfortable ride, not a beat up old car. Suspension mods will be minimal but very strategic. I estimate I'll have around $600 in suspension parts. So, for around $3,000, I'll have a very reliable ,relatively economical (fuel-consumption) and capable off-road car/daily driver. Another noteworthy benefit of the platform is a readily available supply of parts... available and any parts store in the U.S. and Mexico.

Here's a photo of my first Explorer (Mom's old ride).

explorerdday(5)1.jpg

brian90744

American Trekker
2006 ranger 4x4

Here's mine, will be selling the 2006 ranger FX4 soon, I don't get to use it enough.
brian

Attachments

• raptor style 2.jpg
    raptor style 2.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 67
  • camper1.jpg
    camper1.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 72
  • duel batt2wiring words copy.jpg
    duel batt2wiring words copy.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 66
  • camping pallets.jpg
    camping pallets.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 67

KeepOnExploring

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L

IMG_0674.jpg

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L with 245/75/16 (stock was 255/65/16) BfGoodrich KO2 Tires, Upgraded led's/hid's all around and hopefully getting a RTT soon :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles