Upgrading 96 tahoe

BBsound

Adventurer
Due to an addition to the family in august I am going to be keeping my 96 2 door Tahoe a while longer than expected.
I drive a company vehicle so the Tahoe only gets a few thousand miles a year. Its primary duties is towing a 19' hybrid camper that weighs in at about 4500 pounds.
It has 175,000 miles on it now.
My plans are to replace the saggy rear springs and replace the rear axle with a semi floater and disc brakes.
I know that there is a factory rear end that will bolt into this truck and has the same 6 lug bolt pattern, but I don't know what kind of truck to look for to find this axle.
I am also looking for input on the springs. Manufacturer info and recommendations on rates.

billy bee

Adventurer
I had a set of Deaver springs on a Ford Sportsmobile. They can get you pointed in the right direction on rates. Not sure about the axle.

bb

I put a 14 bolt semi float axle from a heavy half ton pickup in my 95 yukon 2 door. I think it was from a 97. Converted it to disk brakes and put a master cylinder from a new body style truck with disks in it. The heavy half says 2500 on the door but has 6 lugs.

WanderingJim

Check out 2002-2008 GM 1500 series trucks. They came with 6 lugs and rear disk brakes. Look in the glove box lid for the build codes. "G80" indicates that rear axle is equipped with the Eaton auto locking differential.

86cj

Explorer
Due to an addition to the family in august I am going to be keeping my 96 2 door Tahoe a while longer than expected.
I drive a company vehicle so the Tahoe only gets a few thousand miles a year. Its primary duties is towing a 19' hybrid camper that weighs in at about 4500 pounds.
It has 175,000 miles on it now.
My plans are to replace the saggy rear springs and replace the rear axle with a semi floater and disc brakes.
I know that there is a factory rear end that will bolt into this truck and has the same 6 lug bolt pattern, but I don't know what kind of truck to look for to find this axle.
I am also looking for input on the springs. Manufacturer info and recommendations on rates.

The axle is a 14 bolt 9.5" semi-float not the more sought after 10.5" full float 14 bolt. I think my nephew had one in his 96'-00' 1/2 ton pickup with the 255 HP Vortec and heavy towing package, his was not the LD 2500 that is also 6 lug. I hauled a heavy 12' truck camper around on one for years with zero issues, a good axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior