'01 Tacoma Front Bumper

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I am in the Market for a new front bumper for my '01 Taco DC. I have narrowed my search down to my top 3. What are your experiences with these manufacturers?

In preferential order:
1.) Bentup (bentup.com)
2.) ARB
3.) TMJ

I am not a huge fan of the pre-runner style bumpers, and want a bumper that will handle a winch in the near future. Any input?

bluerunner

Adventurer
Wil, I personally would go with the ARB for strength, I ran the arb on my cherokee and it was super tough.

I currently have the TJM on my Runner and it just doesnt seem to measure up. I know there are more people on here with different experiences, so i look forward to seeing where this goes!

Arb = heavy

Tjm= lighter

prerunner style will still let you put a winch in there and it will be lighter, good luck!

I dont know anyone who has anything from bent-up, but from the photos the look pretty good and I havent read of an complaints. :lurk:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
An ARB can't be beat as a winch mount. I saw a Warn 6,000-pound winch bend a Warn through-the-grill brush guard/winch mount when the pull was too far off center. That's not going to happen with an ARB. But you certainly need to beef up the front suspension to handle the combination of ARB and winch--even Scott's sub-50-pound version.

Scott Brady

Founder
I agree with the ARB statements, though you need to keep in mind, that with the ARB and TJM, you will loose some angled approach clearance.

The main reason to install an ARB (or TJM) is for the following requirements:

1. Animal Strike
2. Winch

If those needs are not present, than there are better solutions. Jason Demello even made a slick hidden winch mount for the 2001-04 that uses the factory bumper.

flyingwil

Thanks for all the input! I think I am going to end up with a bentup front... I love this one and am going to see if AJ can make one almost just like it..
I think my budget and pleasure will benefit more from this, However I do like the crsh cans on the ARB, just incase I would need them!

Attachments

• IMG_7308.jpg
    IMG_7308.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_7305.jpg
    IMG_7305.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_7306.jpg
    IMG_7306.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 138

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Wow! Talk about minimalism! That's a sweet bumper. If we didn't have such a high risk of deer/vehicle encounters I'd seriously consider something like that.

Nice and clean.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
That's a great looking bumper, and huge clearance.

One more reason to install a strong bumper: Solid jacking point.

Attachments

• Wade and Camp June 2011.jpg
    Wade and Camp June 2011.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 3

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I know that there are alot of guys running that bumper, but I have to say that When my buddy got his I was not overly impressed. I think it looks good and really helps cleareance but I do not like the lack of reinforcment. Since there are no supports for the corners of the bumper it doesn't take much to fold it if you hit something, as my friend found out. The over all assembly is good but I would add some mounts to reinforce the corners of the bumper back to the frame to make it stronger.

All in all good bang for the buck.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I've heard good things about AJ, from a guy who had Bent Up custom fab a front bumper for his T100.

I'm lovin' that black dbl cab taco with the solid front axle. BOING!!

Check out Rockware and Badland Bumpers too for the style you're looking for.

A big consideration should be, if you add a winch to your front bumper, is how easy the winch will be to service if need be and if you'll have to cut your grill insert to allow room for the solenoid. Different bumper manufacturers have set ups that will allow easy access to the winch without having to pull the whole unit out.

Attachments

• IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC01795.JPG
    DSC01795.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC02096.JPG
    DSC02096.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC02097.JPG
    DSC02097.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

flyingwil

That rock ware one seems to leave the radiator a bit to exposed for that one rock overlooked or not seen it might create a big problem... Still looking though, I will keep you posted with my findings and research!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
The BN Guy said:
The Badlands linky no worky. But I'm digging the Rockware Toyota bed!
Looks like they're down for awhile. Good thing I'm a pic saver. Here's a shot of their front bumpers -

Badlandbumperlineup.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
They also have a tube style bumper I have seen in person. It is stout, and looks real good. It has alot of reinforcement and good clearence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier