'02 vs. '03 Montero...how different do they feel?

merrion13

Curious to know people's thoughts here. I know that the engine is different, and that the '03s+ have the stability control, but for those of you who know Monteros well, how noticeable is the power delivery between the 2 years in everyday driving? If you were looking for a do-everything vehicle to be used on road trips out west, do you think it's mandatory going with '03s?

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I'm also interested in this. I have an '01 Limited and, with the larger tires I have (and the inevitable overloaded pile of stuff that we haul as a family of four), I really note the lack of power, especially on the highway, higher altitudes, in strong headwinds, etc. I'm considering swapping up to an '03 for the power, and would like to hear the thoughts of those who've had the experience with them.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
If you were looking for a do-everything vehicle to be used on road trips out west, do you think it's mandatory going with '03s?

IMHO, no it's not mandatory to go with the later model Gen. III.
However, if you're in the market for a Gen. III and a nice later model comes along...grab it.
If a nice early model comes along...grap that.
We use our '02 for exactly what you are planning for, and the rig has preformed very well.
I've never driven the 3.8L, but other folks say there is a noticeable difference on the pavement- especially on the hills.
(Luckily, I'm not the type of driver who is looking for power when on the pavement- just get me to the trailhead.)
Good luck on your search.

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
I own a '03 on 32" tires. There is enough power to merge and overtake on the highway at max load so I'm happy. It could use more, but so can every vehicle :)

Monstero

Adventurer
driven both,and own a 3.8L. Definately get the 3.8 if you have a choice, no question. There is a difference that is very apparent IMO. I am glad I have the 3.8L cause i wouldnt want the 3.5L....lol....Like was said above it could use more power but hey it is a great little motor IMO.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
I've owned both an '01 XLS and now the '03, neither for want of more power. I used to shuttle two 15' ocean kayaks from here to the central coast with the '01 with the aerodynamic drag of a parachute and always had plenty of pedal, nothing that'll pin your ears back, but the powerband was smooth. I now run 33s on the '03 and any concerns I had about evaporating torque due to the additional unsprung weight are gone. I love the 3.8, but wouldn't look a gift 3.5 in the grille.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94