Terrafirma Springs/Shocks

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I've been looking at the Terrafirma springs/shocks packages and trying to decide which one would be best for my application. They have the TF207 (light) and two medium setups (TF202 & TF208). I have a 1997 D1 300Tdi but don't plan on adding a winch in the near future but might add a factory brushbar. In the summer I run a Frontrunner roofrack with an Autohome tent and ARB awning. I'm also running 235-70-16 tires right now and would like to go a bit bigger and narrower.
I'm leaning towards one of the medium sets but wonder how this will impact my drive in the months when the rack and tent are off the truck as I commute about 95 miles round trip Monday to Friday.
Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Daryl

Adventurer
I have the HD setup (springs and shocks) on my otherwise unmodified '98. It definitely rides like a "truck" now when unloaded. It reminds me of my 1 ton pickups that I've had in the past. Totally acceptable to me for the normally short distances it's used for and completely worth it for when I've got 500 lbs of stuff in the back (rides GREAT then) or when I'm towing.

I don't think I'd want HD springs if my primary concern was commuting, but if I needed it for other reasons and most of that trip was decent roads/highway I don't think I'd have an issue with it.

I obviously can't speak directly on the medium springs, so take what you can from that info.

mowerman

Adventurer
I have Terrafirma HD +2 springs with +2 Pro Sport shocks on the rear of my '96 D1, with HD rear bumper, tank guard/tow kit and weight in the back.
They are very balanced on-road, and handle like the anti roll bar (sway bar) is still fitted. I use it as my DD and do around 20,000 miles per year.
I am very pleased with the springs because all the other ones I tried deformed to much under load.
I have Scorpion +2 springs and shocks on the front and still have the front sway bar fitted, as this stops it diving when braking under cornering.
The HD +2 rears actually lifted the rear of my truck more like 3 inches than 2 - very happy with them, and no sag yet after nearly 2 years.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I ordered the medium package - TF202 - with the standard, not pro sport shocks. TF018 & 023V springs and TF116 & 117 shocks. Hopefully it will be a happy compromise of good on road commuting but up for carrying my gear when we wild camp. I'll likely add the steering damper as well. Once installed, I'll look at tires. Likely I'll go back to BFG All-terrains, 235-85-16 to give it a higher profile. The compromise BFG's (Rugged Terrain) I bought last spring when I purchased the D1 have not performed like other BFG tires I have had in the past and are wearing quickly.
I'm hoping the package doesn't raise my truck so much, I can no longer get it in the garage with the rack and tent on it.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
I ordered the medium package - TF202 - with the standard, not pro sport shocks. TF018 & 023V springs and TF116 & 117 shocks. Hopefully it will be a happy compromise of good on road commuting but up for carrying my gear when we wild camp. I'll likely add the steering damper as well. Once installed, I'll look at tires. Likely I'll go back to BFG All-terrains, 235-85-16 to give it a higher profile. The compromise BFG's (Rugged Terrain) I bought last spring when I purchased the D1 have not performed like other BFG tires I have had in the past and are wearing quickly.
I'm hoping the package doesn't raise my truck so much, I can no longer get it in the garage with the rack and tent on it.

That's what deflation kits are for!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman