2008 4x4 trd toyota access cab/fwc build

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Nice work! Love the FWC/Taco combo.

Do the tie down chains on the side of the bed contact the sheet metal when offroad? Looks like it could scratch up the side of the truck?

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Thanks for the tip on the mudflaps. Mine are getting ready to fall off. I think I'll stop by a Flying J soon.

:Mechanic:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Very nice lq - :clapsmile

A smart use of that space and no added weight to the roof. I've thought about adding a couple of small metal tabs on the bottom front lip of the cabover to hold a pair of off-road lights. Your usage of round top bolts would work well for that too.

You have some original and unique additions to your FWC. Thanks for the detailed pics and posts.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
WOW nice set-up. Not only does your sliding mount protect the panel, it keeps it very low key when not in use. A great idea, and well executed!

suntinez

Explorer
kcowyo said:
You have some original and unique additions to your FWC. Thanks for the detailed pics and posts.

x2 !!

lq - I am really enjoying following this build, some great ideas here. I can't believe how much room you gained in the back of your access cab with this design - well done!!

lqhikers

Adventurer
2008 trd4x4taco another rear gas/propane rack

thought i would share another rear rack that i use when i plan on shorter and more difficult 4x4 trails. this set up gives more departure angle on rear plus takes some weight off rear of rig.as this is a mount that is on a fwc eagle shell it might not work for all models.the carrier is a standard gas can carrier that is welded to a frame made out of 1" thin wall tubing bolted to base of camper which is plywood with 3 mounting points,i also have a bracket that is hard to see, but can be seen in pictures that also bolts to camper jack mounts, this makes the carrier very stable ,lots of trips no problems.i leave gas can on and use a siphon hose to transfer to tank. the propane tank is moved to where i mount water can for longer trips (earlier post shows lower propane mounts) hope someone can put this to good trail use! drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

CLynn85

Explorer
Wow, Very nice setup. I like how you've been creative with your racks. Wish I'd had more time to setup my FWC like yours. I wish I'd been smart enough to remove the rear seats, they got some gnarly grooves in them from gear being stored in the access cab against them, and they ate up some valuable storage space.

I have to second the 05+ Taco and FWC as being an excellent combination. The 4.0 had no probelms lugging the extra weight around and the brakes never faded out. I opted to use D-rings and the front bed bolts rather than the external tie-downs and didn't have any issues. One difference being that I elevated my FWC ~3" to clear the bedsides and provide storage underneath,which mean I could squeeze my arm in from the outside to tighten the front tie-downs.

Gosh I miss that thing.
DSC03605%20(Medium).JPG

lqhikers

Adventurer
info to clynn85 on tie downs

the reason i went with the outside tie downs plus the inside mounting points is that on a trip following part of the Baja 1000 course when i had fwc on my 2002 taco i broke loose two mounts (tore loose from body of camper) was able to use rachet tie downs to secure.since then with double mounts no more problems! i got caught at the bottom of steep rocky wash (i did not check out before entering)and had to bang it to get out hince breakage! but that is why we have taco and fwc we use it!.drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

lqhikers

Adventurer
2008 toyo access cab 4x4 air compressor build

as i have been using my viair 200h compressor as a portable unit for a couple of years i went ahead and picked up parts to mount solid a i wanted to be able to air up easier and to be able to blow dirt off rear of fwc when setting up camp also to clean dual sport after riding. built a manifold out of standard fittings mounted to a 2"x2" alum angle mounted to wheel well.compressor is mounted to fender well.i used a arb pressure switch 85lb on and 105lb off.controlled by switch mounted to fender, 30amp inline fuse supplies 12v juice, air cleaner for compressor mounted to fire wall.air lines feed front quick connect fitting and feeds to rear tank(2-1/2 gal) which i mounted on drivers side forward of rear wheel between outside of fender and bed,tight fit but is out of way.rear quick connect is mounted near tail light at edge of camper.i find that i'm more likely to air down now that it is easy to air up at end of trip!drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior