Any Pro's and Con's regarding SuperWinch versus Warn

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well, I am 90% going Superwinch 11.5, the largest Warn that will fit my bumper is the 10k. This is going on a 2012 JKU had a lot of people saying anything more than 9500 is a waste for a JK but there is not a lot of price difference so why not go as big as I can?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Well, I am 90% going Superwinch 11.5, the largest Warn that will fit my bumper is the 10k. This is going on a 2012 JKU had a lot of people saying anything more than 9500 is a waste for a JK but there is not a lot of price difference so why not go as big as I can?

I can support your approach here. I have a buddy who recently put a Warn VR12,000 on his 5th Gen 4Runner when all he really needed was a VR10,000, but he got the 12 for the same price as a VR8,000 so he figured why not have more winch for the same money?! I don't think you should have any concerns going with the Superwinch.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor

Most of our 10K winches are the same size as our 12, for what it's worth (ZEON, ZEON Platinum, VR).

Andy

HAFICON

Adventurer
Do your saying your 10k winch is mostly the same as your 12k? If that's the case why sell a 10k?

plh

Explorer
The Warn HS9500 has been with us for about 10 years. Was on my 2003 Rubicon and now is on my son's 2000 TJ. Countless pulls of all types, from vehicle recovery, to work on our land. Cannot even count how many pulls, trees and jeeps this winch has helped with. Survived the vehicle fire that killed my 2003 Rubi. Replaced cables and solenoids and bang... operated like brand new. Most significantly, my son recently had a BAD stuck a sand bottom of a stream. Long story short, that Warn was under water for 5 - 6 hours. In the end, despite my Rubicon LJ, despite the Ford tractor and front end loader... The warn saved the day.

I will buy warn when my superwinch dies.

John
I also have a Warn HS9500. Bought it used more than 5 years ago, guessing its 15 years old or more. Awesome winch, don't think they make them any more. Old used ones go for $850, but be careful, they are stupid fast. I also have a Superwinch 8000 something - works fine, not half the winch the Warn is thou.

Last edited:

cmorrow

I think he just meant dimensionally. But FWIW, I think the biggest different between 10 and 12k winches is usually internal gearing. The 12k models are usually a little slower bc of this.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
After being part of a 4x4 club for 14+ years and then going exploring across Canada and parts of the US my first choice will always be Warn. Personal experience from watching trucks getting floated across creeks and buried in snow/mud was that the Warn products we the best in Quality, Reliability, and user lifespan. Personally had the Warn high speed 9500 for years and would love to get another for my current Xterra.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
FWIW...

Warn, Ramsey, Superwinch, all pretty much same high quality design and performance. Construction from the two former could be US or China. I only know of only one model of the Superwinch not made in China, the Husky (Made in UK and its like $2K). Some people are ok with sending their money to China, some are not. I run US built Warn electric and Mile Marker hydraulic. I have not heard any performance isses with Warn, Ramsey, Superwinch made in China. A buddy has a Warn 10,000VR (China) and says it has been far more reiable that his M10,000

Smileyshaun

Observer
When choosing a winch look into the warranty and customer service to.If you do have an issue with it saving some money on a cheap winch will not be worth it if the warranty doesn't cover anything and you have to buy another one.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Any thoughts on the Superwinch Talon or EXP series? Definitely appreciate any comments on these specific winches.

racer3822

Observer
It's worth mentioning I have a superwinch talon series and when using it noticed it wasn't braking well when not on. Emailed their customer support and they sent out a new winch after confirming invoice. That's great customer service and is worth something, especially considering the price of these winches!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles