Any Pro's and Con's regarding SuperWinch versus Warn

zonker

Adventurer
I am considering a winch and would like to make the best choice that I can. I will be installing it on our '06 Ram diesel that has a FourWheel camper. I am looking at a Superwinch Talon 12.5 or 14.. or maybe even one of the discontinued EP12.5's that are still available. On the Warn side the Zeon or Endurance equivalents. From what I have read in the research that I have done.. they seem pretty similar in quality. Any thoughts?

crismateski

American Adventurist
I have a factory warn on the powerwagon, and a tuffstuff 12.5 on reciever hitch mount. The warn looks nicer, but there has been no difference in use or dependability. You can get a tuffstuff 12.5 with everything needed to get started for less then 400 from truckandwinch.com. I bought mine through there ebay store 5 or 6 years ago

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I have experience with Warn HS9500, Superwinch s9000 and Milemarker.

The Milemarker I had limited experience with. Owned for a short time. Did some pulls but nothing strenuous. Seemed solid although slow. Does not matter much to me anyway.

The Superwinch is a solid winch. Also fairly slow in comparison to the HS9500. Did well with Steel wire... doing well with synthetic. I have used it for some very significant pulls. The only time I felt like it was overstressed was pulling a 15 foot by 18 inch diameter red oak log from the woods, up hill, deadweight. Got hot, but did indeed pull the log.

The Warn HS9500 has been with us for about 10 years. Was on my 2003 Rubicon and now is on my son's 2000 TJ. Countless pulls of all types, from vehicle recovery, to work on our land. Cannot even count how many pulls, trees and jeeps this winch has helped with. Survived the vehicle fire that killed my 2003 Rubi. Replaced cables and solenoids and bang... operated like brand new. Most significantly, my son recently had a BAD stuck a sand bottom of a stream. Long story short, that Warn was under water for 5 - 6 hours. In the end, despite my Rubicon LJ, despite the Ford tractor and front end loader... The warn saved the day.

I will buy warn when my superwinch dies.

John

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Warn is usually considered to have better service if you have problems, and their motors are a little faster/efficient. That's why I bought Warn. That said, they are more money, so if that's an issue, and you don't mind the slower speed, my second choice would be Ramsey. I've seen a friends hold up pretty well over the last 5 years. We did have to replace his solenoids after going under water a few times, and the ones on another friends Warn were fine, but there are a lot of factors that could have been at play there, so it's not a very solid comparison.

Don

-

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
I have a factory warn on the powerwagon, and a tuffstuff 12.5 on reciever hitch mount. The warn looks nicer, but there has been no difference in use or dependability. You can get a tuffstuff 12.5 with everything needed to get started for less then 400 from truckandwinch.com. I bought mine through there ebay store 5 or 6 years ago

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

I have the same 12.5 and it does great. People ask about it whenever they see it work and think it is one of the high dollar winches. I would never waste money on just wanting a name brand on my winch.

onetraveller

Adventurer
The Superwinch Talon series has the best warranty in the business.

I own both a SW Tiger Shark 9500 on my Jeep and a SW Terra 35s on my ATV. Haven't used the Tiger Shark yet. The Terra gets used heavily and is a great winch.

Mike

HAFICON

Adventurer
Digging up an old thread, I am in the market for a winch and reading this only makes me question even more my choices. So far I am limited to Warn of Superwinch, Warn 10k is the largest that will fit my bumper, but Superwinch 11.5k will fit my same bumper. I have not looked at Ramsey but I am going to do that now. Anyone have any updated opinions on Warn , Superwinch and Ramsey?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Digging up an old thread, I am in the market for a winch and reading this only makes me question even more my choices. So far I am limited to Warn of Superwinch, Warn 10k is the largest that will fit my bumper, but Superwinch 11.5k will fit my same bumper. I have not looked at Ramsey but I am going to do that now. Anyone have any updated opinions on Warn , Superwinch and Ramsey?

I have owned all three as well as Smittybuilt, the two I will never buy again are the Ramsey and Smittybuilt. Ramsey makes excellent industrial/commercial grade winches commonly found on the back of flatbed tow trucks, but their mid-size frame winches have always left a lot to be desired IMHO. Smittybuilt always gave me issues, the warranty is excellent, but it doesn't factor in when you are constantly using it to replace bad electronics and messed up clutches.

Between Superwinch and Warn I'd say it's a pretty close race. I prefer Warn as that's all that I have purchased in recent years and it's what's going on the new truck here in the next month, but I wouldn't hesitate to give a Superwinch a try either. Another winch that is getting lots of attention are the Come-Up Winches, I know very little about them, but I've read and heard good things. My only advice is to buy more winch than you need and go with synthetic line.

HAFICON

Adventurer
I plan to go synthetic line, as bad as I want to stick with steel, I am going to go synthetic simply for weight reduction. My bumper, Pronghorn Overland A/T C5 is limited to certain winches, the largest Warn that will fit in the slot is the 10k low mount, sumpewinch tiger shark 11.5 low mount will as well fit. Not looking to buy today maybe after the first of the year or later depending on where I relocate to.

Superduty

Adventurer
I vote Warn. However, I have never had a SW. I have used an HS9500 for many years and it has served me well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles