4x4 Truck or 4x2 Truck?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Assuming questionable terrain is involved - 4x4 all the way.

A 2wd with a limited slip differential, a locker, or traction control system will make up some ground when compared to a 4wd - but if you add those very same options to the 4wd, you're even further ahead.

Often overlooked is the speed control gained from the two speed transfer case (low range). It makes pretty much everything easier in rough terrain. Easier on the truck, easier on the driver, easier on the trail . . .

Of course, you always need to keep in mind what your anticipated use will be. If it involves nothing rougher than maintained dirt roads & well established campsites, there isn't much call for any of the above - so a 2wd may fit the bill just fine. When I was a kid, we didn't have any 4wd vehicles, & didn't have any problems getting to our favorite campsites & fishing holes.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: You must be younger tnan me-

When I was a kid we used 4-hoof drive and only had to carry (OATS), instead of gas !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

-Dan

Observer
As an off road enthusiast my opinion may be bias but I would recommend a 4x4 vehicle. If you have 4 wheels you might as well have power to them.

What if a rock or some other force of nature (or driver error) breaks your rear driveshaft and you don't have a spare?

idn88

I have owned both 2wd and 4wd, and I am in the category of not often using my 4wd and probabley really don't need it - however I will never buy another rig without it. In fact there are two in the driveway right now - wife likes hers too!

Back in the day 4wd were heavy, burned way more gas, and rode like lumber wagons. We never had them when I was growing up for that reason, and we seemed to do OK with 2wd, However they solved all those problems 10 years ago. The one time you need 4wd you will wish you had it. Even in situations where you may have enough traction for 2wd to work, its really nice to have the steering wheels driven. Often on a slick road or the sand with 2wd you will need to back off to let your front wheels catch to turn, and will get stuck then. You don't seem to have that problem with 4wd, even without lockers.

I don't know if your looking at new or used, but the other benefit is a 4wd will pay for itself and then some on resale. Its really easy to sell a used 4wd.

The only downside I can possibly see is that there is slightly more maintenance, and the extra un-sprung weight on the front end will wear your ball joints and such in the front sooner. Very small price to pay in my opinion. Just the confidence knowing the 4wd is there is I need it is well worth it to me.

Goober

Adventurer
If you get the 4x2 there'll come a time when you want to go off the beaten path and then you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Back in the day 4wd were heavy, burned way more gas, and rode like lumber wagons. However they solved all those problems 10 years ago.

Ironic isn't it, that right around the time they "solved" all these problems, new ones cropped up? Like all the lightweight parts they put in place of the heavy fuel eating ones wearing out with very little use!

Your argument for 4x4 is spot on. When you need it, you usually REALLY need it!

surlydiesel

Adventurer
For the 1 to 2mpg I'll take the security and parking flexibility of a 4X4. My friends with 2wd full sizes get towed off wet grass by me a few times a summer at BBQs and such. A mid afternoon thunderstorm makes a dry grass hill un-driveable in about 3 minutes. Oh and 2 low is amazing for parallel parking on a steep hill in a downtown.

-jorge

truck mechanic

Adventurer
I could most likely live with out 4x4, but never will. I just like the idea of being able to pull a lever, and ease my way out of where i am.
just my .02
Paul

duneyeti9

At least your thinking about it before hand, not when your sitting on a slippery boat ramp in a 2wd with a crowd of people waiting to use the ramp.

I drove my daughter's Dodge 2500 around southern Co last week.

Many times the back end hopped around on the dirt in 2wd...a quick shift to 4wd and all the dancing stopped.

Oh...and that low range bit is pretty handy too.

I had started to wonder the same thing. This trip answered it for me pretty quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz