Rocinante

meatblanket

Adventurer
Nice pics, thanks for posting. Looks like a good time! The truck looks great, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The "Defender" badge is surprising. I didn't think MOD would do that.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
great story and truly a perfect way to start a vehicle relationship.
congrats on getting a great ride....

can we have some spec's for those of us who aren't Rover fanatics? :)

Scott Brady

Founder
I like the plan to keep it stock for a while. I enjoyed the read, especially the blow-by-blow at the port.

8668138013_b27c306d32_b.jpg
I even like the top and 3-door configuration.

alexcivick

Observer
I've seen it in person and it is quite a sight. It definately suits Chris and his goals. Great trip glad I got to hang with you on your inaugural journey.

gm13

Adventurer
Looks great, congrats. If you got that where I think you did, I'm surprised you were able to get pics sent of a particular truck, I tried on numerous occasions to no avail.
It needs a Sancho Panza trailer...

chris snell

Adventurer
Do you mind sharing approximately how much it cost to get that 110 all-in?

Thanks,
-Dan

I don't want to get into exact prices because this thread isn't about the money but you're looking at about $15-17K to get the truck through a US port. You'll need at least a few grand in the bank in case something goes wrong.

In the end, you'll end up with a MOD 110 and it's important to set your expectations properly. You may luck out and get a nice truck like this one but you're definitely not getting the typical consumer-focused Defender. There are many funky military-specific things; for example, the truck has military-style light switches which may be confusing to the unexperienced at first. My truck is an FFR ("Fitted For Radio") truck, meaning that it has a massive (in size) 90A 24V secondary alternator, along with a big battery cabinet in the back. I'm going to remove the cabinet because it chews up much of the rear tub and I'm never going to fit military radios to this truck. On the plus side, it has the two side lockers that hold two NATO fuel cans each. The truck has a nice Defender dash but it came without a lot of the interior trim that the civilian trucks have. There's no dome light and there are no door cars to hold speakers. It's a very spartan setup and perfect for what I do.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I don't want to get into exact prices because this thread isn't about the money but you're looking at about $15-17K to get the truck through a US port. You'll need at least a few grand in the bank in case something goes wrong.

In the end, you'll end up with a MOD 110 and it's important to set your expectations properly. You may luck out and get a nice truck like this one but you're definitely not getting the typical consumer-focused Defender. There are many funky military-specific things; for example, the truck has military-style light switches which may be confusing to the unexperienced at first. My truck is an FFR ("Fitted For Radio") truck, meaning that it has a massive (in size) 90A 24V secondary alternator, along with a big battery cabinet in the back. I'm going to remove the cabinet because it chews up much of the rear tub and I'm never going to fit military radios to this truck. On the plus side, it has the two side lockers that hold two NATO fuel cans each. The truck has a nice Defender dash but it came without a lot of the interior trim that the civilian trucks have. There's no dome light and there are no door cars to hold speakers. It's a very spartan setup and perfect for what I do.

Thanks very much for the info, it's greatly appreciated. It sounds like $20k is a good "safe rough estimate" then. Perfect.

The "spartan" setup you describe sounds absolutely perfect for what I want too.

Where can I find out more about these MOD Defenders?
Being in Canada, I imagine I can go all the way up to 1998, if they exist that new.

-Dan

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Does this get you a truck that is reliable for the forseeable future, or one that needs a rebuild pretty quickly? Nice truck by the way. No frills is the way to go IMO.

mowerman

Adventurer
congratulations on your truck, its great to see you enjoying it so much when there are so many here all over the place, and a great write up aswell.

chris snell

Adventurer
Does this get you a truck that is reliable for the forseeable future, or one that needs a rebuild pretty quickly? Nice truck by the way. No frills is the way to go IMO.

My truck went through the MOD's Tithonus life extension program. I'm not sure if they replaced the speedometer when my truck went through the program but it came to me with 43,000 km on the clock. It runs like a champ, the interior is very nice and things like the heater and windscreen wiper controls work a lot better than the ones in my 94 NAS did. I suspect that a lot of this stuff was replaced during the refresh. I'm going to be making some changes to this truck eventually but it's good enough to travel with right now. I drove it off the ship in Houston and all the way to Colorado and all I had to do is add some motor oil and hose down the transmission brake linkage with PB Blaster.

You can learn all about the Tithonus program from these videos:

psykokid

Explorer
Thanks very much for the info, it's greatly appreciated. It sounds like $20k is a good "safe rough estimate" then. Perfect.

The "spartan" setup you describe sounds absolutely perfect for what I want too.

Where can I find out more about these MOD Defenders?
Being in Canada, I imagine I can go all the way up to 1998, if they exist that new.

-Dan

Being in canada you can get a lot newer vehicle, of which there are plenty of. Here's a 1998 wolf spec 300TDI on witham's mod sales page: http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,25,103,/51604/Land_Rover.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94