AmbuLand build thread

Abitibi

Explorer
I'll let you know John how she does when I pick her up from my buddy's place. I just loaded the new tunes and she idles great but I need to put insurance back on before going for a drive. I'm really curious to see how much of a difference it will be, I bet it will be very noticeable! I went with Hydra tunes this time and absolutely no regret so far for the ease of input, so easy! Download their app/platform and upload their tunes (you decide which ones you want) directly to the chip. Or in my case I got custom tunes emailed to me and since my chip was already installed I just brought my laptop to the truck, plugged it in and downloaded my tunes on to the chip.

As for the winch, I got in touch with Warn. I'll need to get a new motor and that should take care of it.

And on a side note, I figured (& fixed) why my steering was so hard to turn when not moving (or slowly moving). It was so simple and caused me so much headache over the last couple years! All it needed was a proper bleed, should have known... but now she's a 1 finger wonder! :D

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'll let you know John how she does when I pick her up from my buddy's place. I just loaded the new tunes and she idles great but I need to put insurance back on before going for a drive. I'm really curious to see how much of a difference it will be, I bet it will be very noticeable! I went with Hydra tunes this time and absolutely no regret so far for the ease of input, so easy! Download their app/platform and upload their tunes (you decide which ones you want) directly to the chip. Or in my case I got custom tunes emailed to me and since my chip was already installed I just brought my laptop to the truck, plugged it in and downloaded my tunes on to the chip.

As for the winch, I got in touch with Warn. I'll need to get a new motor and that should take care of it.

And on a side note, I figured (& fixed) why my steering was so hard to turn when not moving (or slowly moving). It was so simple and caused me so much headache over the last couple years! All it needed was a proper bleed, should have known... but now she's a 1 finger wonder! :D
One finger :D I’m glad you figured it out

What’s involved in doing a proper bleed? Is it more than cycling side to side with no load on the wheels?
My steering is fine, but I don’t think quite one finger. Sometime I’ll flush the fluid and need to bleed it well.

Abitibi

Explorer
Basically. First flush at the return (low pressure) with van running, just like you mentioned for bleeding. Then bleed with cap off, motor running, wheels up, press brakes while fully turning, repeat...

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Abitibi

Explorer
Got some visit yesterday from a dear friend...

Then a rainbow showed up above my other ambo...

Good life!
:D

6a4b64cf0dc9fd7018e75c20eec0d010.jpg

d546f8e94fffab01ec5fcabb8074c559.jpg

6401f264167e774759926acaf3091fe6.jpg

cjken

Explorer
Is your friend’s truck the same size as your new one.
Mine is about the same size as your old one. Every once in a while I wish it were bigger in the back, but I’m not sure I want to give up the nimbleness of the smaller truck.

Abitibi

Explorer
Is your friend’s truck the same size as your new one.
Mine is about the same size as your old one. Every once in a while I wish it were bigger in the back, but I’m not sure I want to give up the nimbleness of the smaller truck.
His (blue stripe) is the same size as my 4x4 one (both minimods). Here's a better picture of it. (He's since lowered the front by 3" with smaller leafs).

We are each building a larger identical version and that extra 5" width and 14" length (and longer wheelbase) is sure noticeable when trying to park in a parking lot! Going down some of the trails will also be interesting...

But I figure I'll quickly get used to it just like I did with the 1st one. I know I won't look back at the extra space ;)
bee5af041727fd7d695dec400e2a9158.jpg

Abitibi

Explorer
And it's now official, AmbuLand is for sale! I've even reduced my earlier price down to $50,000usd which I believe is an awesome price considering all the depth of this build and all the recent upgrades. Too bad that Covid19 will get in the way but hopefully our borders won't remain shut down for ever!

motox181

Hello, had a look at your build, awesome, nicely done! Just wondering where it fits in regarding the gvwr, and it currently weighs about 10,000 lbs? thanks

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks Motox181, glad you like it!

The GVWR sticker shows 10,700lbs although the front GAWR is 4600 and the rear GAWR is 7500 for a total of 12,100lbs. I've also beefed up the front and rear ends during the 4x4 conversion so that might come into effect as well. There's a lot of SMB heavier than my ambo, I wonder what their GVWR is... And I'd be curious to weigh it again now that it's totally empty, gotta be under the 10k mark... The last time I weigh it we were heading out on a 3 weeks road trip, fully loaded (gears, water, fuel...) with 2 adults and 2 kids and we were still under the 10,700lbs mark.

This is an interesting post on a sister forum. Check post #8...

Hope this helps!

Cheers
David

Last edited:

cjken

Explorer
Thanks for the GVWR thread. I’ve not seen that before. Interesting, my truck has a GVWR if 11,500. I have not weighed it as of yet. Very curious as to what it actually weighs.

ChopperChuck

Hi David. Not sure if you are still using this thread but I was wondering if you sold the Ambuland? I’ve been looking into such a conversion so now can appreciate how much effort went into this build.
Mark

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Hi David. Not sure if you are still using this thread but I was wondering if you sold the Ambuland? I’ve been looking into such a conversion so now can appreciate how much effort went into this build.
Mark
It has sold... and not to me. Hope to see more of it from the new owner.

ChopperChuck

When can I buy it?! ?
No, guess I’ll have to build one myself.
I am in BC though so thinking it would’ve been hard to buy the Ambuland anyway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles