AmbuLand build thread

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks again!

Yup the tail was modified with just a regular skilsaw, grinder would have worked too.

We just got home and glad I can say our ambo was again nothing but pure reliability! We had a great time, met a bunch of great people along the way, discovered new areas and just had a blast.

What do you guys think? Fully loaded with fuel, water, gears and family of 4, we were 10,600lbs. Cruising at 60mph we averaged around 14mpg. Best we managed was 15.8mpg between Bend and Portland which is probably due to the altitude drop. Worse was about 11mpg while cruising at 75mph or stop and go. Sounds OK? Wish I could improve for sure though!

That economy is pretty damn good! I'm averaging 9.1 so far... But I'm a brick and a bit heavier

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Coachgeo

Explorer
That economy is pretty damn good! I'm averaging 9.1 so far... But I'm a brick and a bit heavier

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
national economy scares me in the run longrun overall.. cause my Ambo box will be on a truck that gets between 6 and 7 mpg... aggggggg...... granted it will go offroad where few Ambo's could ever venture... which is the goal. buttttttt.....

hope to live in it for say 3 months to see how it works out.... then rent out my house and live in it only. Maybe take a month or more vacation after renting house...... ifffff I can do that without loosing my job.

Anyway....... I'm hijacking your thread.... my apologies.

Back to Ambuland Build Thread.

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Did you weld up an aluminum frame inside the newly modified rear overhang and re skin it?
No, there was already a 1"x1" frame following the wheel arch and the bottom part. So I just left a foot of frame at the bottom and started cutting at an angle. I didn't feel the need to build a new frame for the angled part...

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

Abitibi

Explorer
national economy scares me in the run longrun overall.. cause my Ambo box will be on a truck that gets between 6 and 7 mpg... aggggggg...... granted it will go offroad where few Ambo's could ever venture... which is the goal. buttttttt.....

hope to live in it for say 3 months to see how it works out.... then rent out my house and live in it only. Maybe take a month or more vacation after renting house...... ifffff I can do that without loosing my job.

Anyway....... I'm hijacking your thread.... my apologies.

Back to Ambuland Build Thread.
If my wife was up for it that would be my plan as well!

Cheers
David

DzlToy

Explorer
Cruising at 60mph we averaged around 14mpg. Best we managed was 15.8mpg between Bend and Portland which is probably due to the altitude drop. Worse was about 11mpg while cruising at 75mph or stop and go. Sounds OK? Wish I could improve for sure though!

Pick up a quart of Howe's Diesel Treatment (or something similar from one of a dozen other companies) and run a few tanks of diesel through your truck.

On the first tank, I saw an 8 MPG increase (16 to 24) and on the second tank, a 6 MPG increase to 22 MPG.

The downside is that it will clean out EVERYTHING, including your tank, so be prepared to change a few fuel filters in the near future.

Once I get everything sorted, I will buy a gallon to see if the fuel economy stays up with everything clean.

Abitibi

Explorer
I'll give that a try for sure! I'm doubtful I could get such great results but even a few increase in mpg would be worth it (plus the clean up of tank, fuel lines and injectors)!

Cheers
David

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
It certainly couldn't hurt anything. That said those numbers are very good. I had one highway jaunt of a couple hundred miles on the highway where I broke 21 mpg (us). That said your's is lifted, 4WD, and running larger tires so it'll be less.

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
21mpg?!? Can't see myself getting close to that number but maybe I can tweak a few things and get closer.

Keep it rolling!!!

Abitibi

Explorer
I used a table saw for the straight cuts (I slowly crank up/raise the blade at on end and push the board till the end of the straight line, makes sense?) the curves are jigsaw. I also use a thin finishing blade (Diablo or the like).

Went wheeling this past weekend and put the big girl to the test! Went through a big puddle then down a very tight rocky trail (kind of a bed creek) and surprised the crap of all the campers at the end of the trail. We had a great time with a good mix of Jeepers, Nissan's and a nice Chevy, quite the mix. Right on the water, big bonfire and shared food!!! Ruined a tire on my way back though. Frustrating part is that it happened on the easy forestry road, go figure! Small cut in the sidewall in my almost new BFG A/T. Makes me wonder if I should have gone with Toyo...

c2e120a5b16d840bf02ec361666edf7a.jpg

526cabd416bfc199daa000ccb54937b3.jpg

5e4801b316293d7d5ab3adcd3f6675f7.jpg

b8b0d3d7d6def7ede4a7a330d97430f5.jpg

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Went wheeling this past weekend and put the big girl to the test! Went through a big puddle then down a very tight rocky trail (kind of a bed creek) and surprised the crap of all the campers at the end of the trail....Ruined a tire on my way back though. Frustrating part is that it happened on the easy forestry road, go figure! Small cut in the sidewall in my almost new BFG A/T. Makes me wonder if I should have gone with Toyo...

https://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks! That makes perfect sense. You did a great job, Im not sure my jigsaw skills are up to par.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Thanks! That makes perfect sense. You did a great job, Im not sure my jigsaw skills are up to par.

I'm glad you asked him that question, because I was wondering also. I kept looking and thinking, 'Where are his starting holes, and if he used different wood to make the doors, how did he get the grain to line up so well?' :confused:

Now we know! :agree:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online