AmbuLand build thread

eporter

Adventurer
Ok, now I'm jealous! 4WD Ambo camping trip at Baker?! I'm afraid to take my 2wd ambo up in the snow... Maybe for some spring riding on Hood. That Baker road is treacherous with snow on it!

Have you seen this cool art by Adam Haynes? He does a lot of cool art for all sorts of beer/ski/outdoor companies. I could pull this one off right now with my '83 FJ60

"Mt. Baker Park & Ride"
https://asymbol.co/products/mt-baker-park-ride
exp1.jpg

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
dang it, you were in my town! heck if i had known, would have loved to see your rig. one of my absolute favorite on this forum. i don't drink beer anymore, but Boundary makes some good brew.

java

Expedition Leader
Very cool! Baker is a chill spot for ski bumming. I'll have to keep you in mind for Skifari next year, we did Baker, Sasquach and whistler for two days this year. Generally the greater PNW area, ski bum road trip!

Abitibi

Explorer
It never crossed my mind that we should have posted ahead of time our trip to Baker, would have been great to meet you guys along the way or up on the mountain! Next time for sure NorthernWoodsman, and glad you like the rig!

That's a great art piece eporter, nice to see what people come up with!

Sounds good java, if I can free myself I'm always glad to escape the city!

Talking about escaping, the same group with whom I went to Baker is taking off around March 16 for a roady down to California. We have just shy of 3 weeks to go and explore. No fix plans yet but would be nice to catch some warm weather and a mix of villages and wilderness.

Trying to decide if we should drive like mad and go as far as possible the first day then slow down, enjoy... or just go nice and easy from the get go. Both have their merits, just not sure yet.

Will probably hit Yosemite, seems like a cool place to be in the spring!

And on a side note here's a few update on the ambo, after all it's a build thread :)

1st pic is a neat Solar motion sensor from Wallymart. Cheap and practical, just need to remember to turn it off when driving at night, lol.

2nd is how I sorted out my exhaust tip. Looks way better than just the pipe sticking out. I got it from eBay, came from Russia. I was concerned when I ordered that it might never show up or the quality would questionable. Turns out I was worrying for nothing. Great quality and 1/4 of my local price.

How about a nice yellow sticker! It sums up one of my best mod on the beast!

Last pic is the enclosed airtronic. This way there's no chance of damaging it with all the gears I store in this bench area. There's an air intake that can't be seen... The two coolant hoses on the picture are waiting for my Hydronic to get installed. No more hard cold start after that!

So, anyone wants to join in the trip next month?

e96e997447e51242a015d5edb02e5ec5.jpg
c2db65e1f98ac398e80b446b7872923b.jpg
fdfcdb1bf581c0bb7be7b1409e391879.jpg
5b40c509806b57ffebfcb2f2b93be9f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Looks good! Maybe I should do that too.... I have a through hull like that, and my pipe is just sticking out.... Hmm

How do you like those step/handles? Are they actually usable?

Abitibi

Explorer
Loubaru, you got it. Exactly where it is but we weren't the one who did the digging. Might have been a class cause they had 5 or 6 all nearby. Would have made for a nice warm night in one of them if it wasn't that I wanted to test the Webasto :)

And Java, those step handles work great but I installed back up plate to spread the load. I use them all the time!

Cheers
David

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Thank you! I was thinking of doing them on my rear door hinges which are nice and beefy.

Abitibi

Explorer
Thank you! I was thinking of doing them on my rear door hinges which are nice and beefy.
Do you have pics of where they would mount? Pics would help to make sure there's enough support...

java

Expedition Leader
Do you have pics of where they would mount? Pics would help to make sure there's enough support...

On the hinges to the back door. They are ~3/8" thick alum, so drill and tap should be fine. Spacing might be a little big for the steps though.

37585358780_263b1a1324_b.jpg

Abitibi

Explorer
OK that should be thick enough or close to the corner so that you have extra strength from the angle.

Good looking truck!

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
On the hinges to the back door. They are ~3/8" thick alum, so drill and tap should be fine. Spacing might be a little big for the steps though.

37585358780_263b1a1324_b.jpg

Why not get a ladder from a van or RV and use the bolts on the hinges to attach it then you have properly spaced steps? Then it would open with the door as long as you never bolted it to the box.

java

Expedition Leader
Why not get a ladder from a van or RV and use the bolts on the hinges to attach it then you have properly spaced steps? Then it would open with the door as long as you never bolted it to the box.

Eventually things will get mounted to the doors, and I don't really need access to the roof much.

Abitibi

Explorer
Haven't been very active on the forum lately but still playing around :)

Thought I'd catch up and post a neat update...

I use a 100w remote solar system so I can park in the shade while still having my solar panel in the sun. I made a 20' extension and modified an electrical outlet to plug in my cord directly in my order wall.

I had to trim the Anderson plug a little to make it fit then drilled a pilot hole in the middle to screw in a bolt to secure the plug inside the black outlet. Been using it for a while and works great! How about some pictures to clear things up ;)

Cheers
David
bff830a81188fbc4f11634ef5b41fdba.jpg
1ee265fc6cdfe4ccf3f063371d0250d5.jpg
94f3064a91a2649bd7f26c23965952f8.jpg
fc7d414c32734f26b968feec0a83f2e1.jpg
c27716766f432d7b28fa11023d857f92.jpg
55844717c201a00cc70e89b9420db0ab.jpg
777413365b536090cffd8830ceb288f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads