AmbuLand build thread

Slicky72

Adventurer
I always look down your alley when driving past , going to have to make the effort to stop by one day and say hello. I need to see this thing in real life , great job !

Abitibi

Explorer
It's almost a perfect fit (could be longer but not wider). I like how it ends where the rounded roof edges start. But yes, that tent is massive! So glad I decided not to use my small Airtop and wait for the right deal to come around. On the length I cut as much as I could and it basically opens up all the "walking/working" area from where you enter from the side door to where the raised dinette floor starts (which is no biggies as I just sit or sleep there).

I cut the tent foam today and dropped it to be upholstered with Sunbrella (excellent outdoor material). Still have a bunch of stuff to do before I can take a break;
- cover the interior roof opening
- cover with carpet the 3 floor boards
- cut a new hole and re-mount the roof vent
- re-insulate
- cut and install new ceiling panels
- re-install all the upper cabinets
- finish painting the interior.
These are the tasks I want to finish before driving to Arizona 2nd week of March.

There's other projects to complete but they can wait a few months. Yup, still need to mount my front LED bar, finish the transition wall between the cab and the box, relocate and complete the installation of my Espar and finally, finish my veggie conversion including 2 new fuel tanks. No wonder my wife complains I don't spend enough time working on our house ;)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Looks like a nice fit up there for sure.

What did you use to seal it to the roof, I think I missed that? Some type of urethane sealant I imagine, like Boat Life or Sonnebourne NP1 or something? You still have the Airtop?

Abitibi

Explorer
I used Sikaflex, kinda nice they now sell it at Homedepot... It's a different version (for construction) but works great. I also used a strip of 1"x1/4" closed cell foam. And I sold the Airtop a while back

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

Abitibi

Explorer
Thought I'd post a few updated interior pictures now that it's finally coming together.

Still got a few projects to deal with (we all know they never end) but just finishing a 2 weeks trip in Nevada with the family and I'm stoked with how it all worked out. Anyway, here's a few shots, cheers!

d3ab6781350f92123cae283b676ebc00.jpg

88b3850c207f5451b6dedae069a64442.jpg

8ba98b9daa516e66ef52fa2fb8502a18.jpg

e53db4aeb1ca61bda289389f0c467f9c.jpg

8d80a54f0504083ad6597fe410ff5225.jpg

f042394ab99d5108601da0dee6f2fd5a.jpg

c10ecfcf3cb7b6d0088be1aa41cf4206.jpg

b7e2df3e410f30f40b649a98f077fbf0.jpg

2fec02bf05656e417d72b2c6fffc37b9.jpg

Last edited:

smbguy

This build is amazing. I would love to find one of these ambulances with the bobbed tail like yours. What is the model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Looks like an amazing trip! Tent makes a nice addition, tons of interior space that way

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
This build is amazing. I would love to find one of these ambulances with the bobbed tail like yours. What is the model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Model: Crestline 'New Era'
Dimensions of Box: 148" x 88"
Modified by: Abitibi
4WD by: Agile Off Road

:D

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks again!

Yup the tail was modified with just a regular skilsaw, grinder would have worked too.

We just got home and glad I can say our ambo was again nothing but pure reliability! We had a great time, met a bunch of great people along the way, discovered new areas and just had a blast.

What do you guys think? Fully loaded with fuel, water, gears and family of 4, we were 10,600lbs. Cruising at 60mph we averaged around 14mpg. Best we managed was 15.8mpg between Bend and Portland which is probably due to the altitude drop. Worse was about 11mpg while cruising at 75mph or stop and go. Sounds OK? Wish I could improve for sure though!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior