AmbuLand build thread

Abitibi

Explorer
I'll have to check it out. I have two 80W portable panels on a flip stand that work great as I can park in the shade and place them in the sun (25' extension cord). Love that set up but the only place I can store them when not in use is against the door behind my driver's door. Problem with this setup is I want to install a window in that door so my kids can have more than just a "front" view... So the plan was to mount them as you suggested on the roof and find a smaller portable set.

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Wow... that must have been almost as big (or bigger) a leap than cutting the bottom out of a brand new hard shell RTT! I will hand it to you sir, you certainly are committed to this. Personally I think that this is a great idea. I love the Honda eCampers on top of the Elements, and this reminds me of that a lot. That or the Ursa Minor Jeep Hard Tops?

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks Greg.

I figured I wouldn't be the only one thinking its a good idea! And from idea to reality it wasn't bad at all. I'll have to post some pics but the RTT is now permanently mounted on the roof! Went really well, aside from having to work in the rain. I still need to convert the latches to operate from the inside, build the bed platform and cut/recover the mattress but at least I can use it as is.

One word... It's cavernous! Huge room, love it!

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

Mastersergeant

Hello, I like your project. I'm currently following an ambulance on eBay 1996 ford with a 7.3 but it has 120k miles. Was worried about all that idling time. Any thoughts? Right now it has no bids but starts at 9500$. Thanks

DzlToy

Explorer
Ford Fleet has determined that one hour of idling is equal to the engine wear of driving 33 miles. Assume that 50% of the time is spent idling. In 200 hours, the odometer may show 2,000 miles, but we have to add the idling-equivalent hours, which in this case is 3,300 miles, i.e., 100 hours times 33 miles.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Yes.... but how much do they idle Ambo's? IMHO more than your average car but relatively speaking..... extremely little.. but then again only guessing. Seems to me maybeeee only idle time is short wait at injury site..... load patient...... leave. Anything longer and it probably gets shut off. Some services may reqire allways shut off and take keys with these days.

Abitibi

Explorer
To be honest I think the fleet maintenance outweigh the idling hours...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
An ambulance should have an hour meter on it. Mine had above average hours when first decommissioned... 13k hrs and 170k miles. It now has 220k miles and 16k hrs. It couldn't be happier... although many ambulances owned by for profit companies aren't maintained with the spare no expense approach of our BC rigs.

Abitibi

Explorer
I was waiting to actually sleep in it while on the road before officially posting the pop-up roof :D

28cb9ffd5ebfd5dc72ead13a5a8860a6.jpg

Size wise, it's a queen mattress. With the roof down I still have like 6'6" or so of clearance.

d50aad16a3f1efd1af32d7ffb087a9cf.jpg

With the roof up its huge!
4534893bb98f666241739d19981da3c1.jpg

Now time to put all the cabinets back in place and do more finishing work. But really happy so far. Also got to test it driving in heavy rain, dry as a bone :)

Abitibi

Explorer
I just climb from the lower bed then countertop then loft. I also have a small light ladder but not really needed. There's 3 floor boards all about 25"x54" with matching mattresses on top. They just tilt up at each ends similar to my drawing a few pages back or can also stack on top of each other. In the picture there were no mattress (getting upholstered) s I used a thermarest. I should really make a video, would be simpler to explain, Hahaha!

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

patoz

Expedition Leader
So I'm guessing you just deploy the bed when it's needed, and put it away when it's not, right?

Abitibi

Explorer
Kinda. I didn't attach the bed panels to the roof frame so they can either be left in bed position or stacked up to create more headroom when roof is down. Very flexible :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94