AmbuLand build thread

patoz

Expedition Leader
... Some people worry about ambulances being clean, when I look back at how mine looked after years of being used by contractors, I'd take disinfected any day over 1/2" of grease & crud.

From a medical standpoint ambulances are actually pretty clean when you get one. Since they're like small mobile Emergency Rooms, they are cleaned inside and out several times a day, and especially the interior after any kind of incident that may evolve bodily fluids contacting the inside surfaces. Most 'bugs' will only survive outside the host body for 24 hours anyway, and a fresh solution of 10% bleach to water in a spray bottle will make sure of it. Be sure to wear a good pair of rubber gloves when cleaning and especially if you have any open sores or cuts on your hands.

The biggest threat is finding needles and other 'sharps' in cracks, under cushions, etc., the hard way. Even though every vehicle is required to have a 'Sharps Container' on-board, these items do get dropped occasionally and roll into places out of sight, especially when you're bouncing down a two lane highway at 65 mph in some rural area somewhere.

GBCAmbulance.gif

tmo2460

Observer
Hey David, do you happen to still have any of the original mirror arms? I've got one a lower one with a ding in it, and would like to find a replacement. I saw some replacements at the auto parts that were paper thin... Not though like the originals... They could practically hold the rig up.

Dang I wish I would have know someone out there actually wanted those. I ended up scrapping mine. I hate throwing stuff out that someone can use.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
No worries. Mine are still decent. I'll eventually find a replacement of the same quality. It's not like the rig doesn't have plenty of wear and tear on it after 10 years and 13k hours service as an Ambulance.

I found that the 3/4" round stainless steel arm is solid stainless... They really built these rigs to be rolled over and keep on going. The flattened out oval 'pipe' sections are about 3/16" thick.

You can't keep it all... I've got a 1/2 of 2nd Ambo worth of spare E350 parts. I'll likely end up scrapping the Radius arms, I-Beams, coils, rotors, exhaust, and a whole bunch of other parts. Unless I have the radius arms bent for a 2wd lift.

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Sorry bro, just like tmo2460 I scrapped mine long time ago!

Here's a "cute" picture :)

0b66b02df580edaeefb3af22c383255a.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks for letting the wife and I poke in this weekend. Truck looks really great in person!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks guys! Was great meeting you all and hopefully you can make it to the BC rally this weekend!

I really wanted to hit some of the trails but after working crazy hours I was just glad to finally sleep in, relax and enjoy good company. I did test the little playground though, gotta love to be Agile :)

3a5930d3862edaeb412e4ff3fdf0eed9.jpg

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
That's awesome! Not sure how you found this link but it's pretty cool. There's also a couple SMB in those pictures :)

Awesome build and you have inspired me on my ambo build(94 Ford E350 4x4 7.3 class 3).

Where did I miss the info on the angle chop on the rear and the awnings build part...went though all the post and must have missed it.

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks Punisher, always good to hear when other members appreciate your work! For some reason I thought I posted about the bobtail job or awnings but seems like I missed it. Are you looking for something specific? I could try to dig some old pictures if needed...

For the bobtail I didn't like the straight cut across. It gives good clearance, maybe even more than mine directly behind the rear wheels but I didn't like the look as much as the angled one. My van was pretty straight forward, no storage area in the way so I simply had a good look for clearance, drew a line and used my skilsaw with an old blade. Probably took me less than 10min for both sides...

The side awning started above the rain gutter but once my van got lifted it was getting a pain to use. So I sealed the old holes and re-mounted it directly against the body panel with a good dose of sealant at each bolts. Bolted right through the body panel, nice and flush!

Went to the NWOR & BCOR these last two wknds, got to put a few more faces to the names :) Good time!

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Thanks Punisher, always good to hear when other members appreciate your work! For some reason I thought I posted about the bobtail job or awnings but seems like I missed it. Are you looking for something specific? I could try to dig some old pictures if needed...

For the bobtail I didn't like the straight cut across. It gives good clearance, maybe even more than mine directly behind the rear wheels but I didn't like the look as much as the angled one. My van was pretty straight forward, no storage area in the way so I simply had a good look for clearance, drew a line and used my skilsaw with an old blade. Probably took me less than 10min for both sides...

The side awning started above the rain gutter but once my van got lifted it was getting a pain to use. So I sealed the old holes and re-mounted it directly against the body panel with a good dose of sealant at each bolts. Bolted right through the body panel, nice and flush!

Went to the NWOR & BCOR these last two wknds, got to put a few more faces to the names :) Good time!

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

What kind of awning did you used? As for the back mine has cabinets on both sides.....guess I won't cut them, love all that dry safe space.

Abitibi

Explorer
They are ARB awnings. Decently priced, simple and efficient. Rear one is 6'6" and side is 8'.

Hobietony did cut his boxes for clearance, lots of work!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Rovobay

Amazing build. lots of wonderful ideas. I'd love a video of you showing how the bed in the roof works for the kids. I have a vague picture in my head. I have been looking for the right ambulance for my own project but happy I came upon this forum to get amazing ideas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior