Anyone use a Series...

Adventurer
as a Daily Driver here? I would really like to get my hands on one and temporarily use it as a daily driver while the D1 gets worked on.

Im specifically interested in a IIa 88'

KingSlug

Observer
I drove my S2a MOD ambulance 66 miles a day in LA traffic for over 2 years. Right now I am driving it half time about 15 miles round trip. Its very doable. I was making over 120K a year so I was just personal choice rather than the vehicle of last resort.

KingSlug

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
The only drawback that I can see is that like (and probably more than) most older rigs, Series vehicles leak. In a daily driver situation, it's easy to become complacent about checking fluids, and that could buy you a very expensive part. They also require extra maintenance (valves and points come to mind) that might not make them attractive to someone looking for easy and reliable transportation. Finally, Series rigs in good shape cost as much or more than older Range Rovers and Discos, without all of that comfort.

However, it's a lifestyle thing and I can't really question your desire for one.

Adventurer
Thank you for your response Mike. My desire for one is based on my attraction to Rovers in general and simpler, older vehicles. Leaks dont bother me and checking fluids is something I do on a daily basis anyway. Comfort is really not much of a priority but obviously nice on long trips. I'm sure a good reupholstered or aftermarket seat can take care of that. So a IIa just seems to be right up my alley.

Adventurer
Slug, yours is the type of driving experience im wanting to hear about. Im guessing that with an ambulance, you couldnt really turn your head to check your blind spot hu?

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
01001010 said:
Thank you for your response Mike. My desire for one is based on my attraction to Rovers in general and simpler, older vehicles. Leaks dont bother me and checking fluids is something I do on a daily basis anyway. Comfort is really not much of a priority but obviously nice on long trips. I'm sure a good reupholstered or aftermarket seat can take care of that. So a IIa just seems to be right up my alley.

Can't argue with that. As long as you know what you're getting into (I'm still not sure I am), good hunting! It will make a nice addition to the quiver.

KingSlug

Observer
Mike,

Driving the series and much more so an LR ambulance is just routine and exercise in relaxation. I destress in my ambulance. Driving is quite easy, it just takes time.

I walk out to the ambulance 5 minutes before I start off, then I hop in back and change out of my shirt, tie and trousers in to some more comfortable clothes (really a bonus for an ambulance). Then I start off, a quick check of the brakes, mirror positions (2 mirrors on the hinges with fisheyes and 2 mirrors on the fenders and I am off. I drive about 3 or 5 miles depending on the direction I am heading, listening and strecthing into the seat. At last the final light beside the on ramp to the freeway and I push the pedal down on the 2.25 to move the 2.3 tons. Merging into traffic isnt a big deal you just get some speed up and slide in, I will never beat 55mph as a top speed so just roll. Once on the freeway I motor at 55 mph then into traffic slowing to 5 mph to 55 again for the next 1 hour of so with 2 more freeway inter-changes. I tend to stick to the through/truck lane usually one lane in from the right, even if people are passing, honking, waving or flipping me off because the danger is in people sliding in front of me too fast and braking hard. I just drive and listen to the rover, no radio. I get home and I am happy.

After driving a rover for a daily driver you will develop a routine. You know how far to follow, how its better to let drivers in front of you, how check mirrors, gauges and listen for good and bad sounds, down shift a NS tranny fast.

It is really fun to drive a rover, most people wave or smile, everyone at work knows who you are and chicks really dig it. I really love the reactions of kids.

My wife has a FJC and doesnt like me driving it because it doesnt require the focus I am used to in a rover.

If you rover can handle daily driver duties what use is it taken it into the wild. Your rover has to be something you love to drive, I like driving it and as much as my bicycle and 240D MB.

KingSlug

Last edited:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I can completely relate. It's not for everyone, but there is a certain zen state when driving one of the old rigs.

Who needs a radio?

JackW

Explorer
I daily drove a Series IIA for over twenty years. You really learn to relax and watch the scenery go by. You'll get a lot of friendly waves and gas stops take a lot longer because of the questions you'll get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94