Northstar flatbed popup

haven

Expedition Leader
American manufacturer Northstar ships flatbed-style popup campers to Australia. I don't have a good photo of the popup model. Northstar also makes a full height hardwall camper for a flatbed on a full size pickup:

840825_43_full.jpg

This photo of a standard slide in camper shows the amount of enclosed storage space you gain when the side walls of the camper are extended down to the flatbed.

nortstarflatbed.jpg

It's also possible to add several storage compartments below the flatbed.

You might have to change the shore power inverter from 220V to 110V for North American use, but otherwise I think the Northstar export models could be sold for use in USA.

Chip Haven

boblynch

Adventurer
Chip,

I've contacted Northstar several times on this issue. They have confirmed that all models sold in the US may be ordered as a flatbed model from US dealers. All the interior floor plans stay the same. They simply enclose the sides and create exterior storage compartments (as shown in your picture).

The two downsides to this method IMHO are (1) the flatbed truck doesn't have the storage boxes when the camper's off and (2) locating the storage boxes on the outside does not provide the interior improvements that a "true" flatbed design would offer.

However, I still like them alot. I'm leaning heavily towards a Northstar hardsided model with 12v fridge and acrylic windows.

Any other forum members with Northstar experience please send me PM with thoughts.

Bob

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
A flatbed model camper is exactly what i would be looking for.
That's unfortunate that they don't expand the interior room though, because i see that as the primary benefit of this setup.

And is there anyone out there that makes a flat-bed model with a pop-up top?
That would be the ultimate setup IMO...

Four Wheel Tom

Hi All...

Four Wheel is exporting flat bed campers to Australia now. Basically, we've widened out the floor pack and added in cabinetry for more storage. The Aussies are manufacturing excellent flat bed units, called "trays" to replace the American style "tub" truck beds. Very well made, and very cool.

We have made flat bed Grandby, Eagle, and Ranger models for them - and they look good on a flat bed. The lower portions are "skinned" out in white sheet metal.

Don't confuse this with a utility bed American truck bed - totally different creature.

Thanks...

Tom

Four Wheel Tom

Hi, Dave...

For the moment, check out the pics on the topic "new Four Wheel model" alsoonthis forum. They are of the unit built for the Americanmarket - and the unit is almost completed in these pictures. Cabinet doors haven't been installed, but otherwise complete. As you can see, the kitchen cabinet reaches to the front wall, as opposed to the Eagle where a short gap provides a bit of storage space for stuff bags, etc.
I'll see if I can snap a few pics tomorrow while I'm at the plant.

Tom

Dave

Explorer
Four Wheel Tom said:
Don't confuse this with a utility bed American truck bed - totally different creature.

Thanks...

Tom

Hi Tom,

Do you have any more details on the Aussie made "trays"? With a smaller box like on my truck, I think it'd be better off to build a tray and have a flat bed FWC then try to compromise with a Finch or a Falcon.

Thanks and welcome to ExPo!

Dave

theMec

Adventurer
Dave, as far as I can tell - a tray is just an aluminum flatbed. There is one Australian company making Aluminum flatbeds in the US (Ute) but there's a lot of American companies. Here's my list of aluminum flatbed companies in the US. Ute is the 3rd from the bottom of the list.
My aluminum flatbed list -> http://del.icio.us/mestdagh/flatbed

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
mestaghman said:
Dave, as far as I can tell - a tray is just an aluminum flatbed. There is one Australian company making Aluminum flatbeds in the US (Ute).....

I believe there are several differences between an American "flat bed" and an Aussie "Ute Tray"

1) A "flat bed" is typically designed for heavy duty/industrial use, as shown in many of the photos in the links you provided. A "ute tray" is designed for lighter duty recreational/light commercial use.

2) A "flat bed" does not usually have folding sides or a tailgate, while most ute trays have these as options as well as "trundle drawers". The sides and tailgate make the tray much more useful IMHO.

Also there is another Aussie style tray on the market in North America (they are imported from Oz):
http://oztray.com
05.jpg
12.jpg

Cheers
Mark

Four Wheel Tom

Howdy all...

Mark's pictures are pretty accurate for the Australian tray. Apparently ther are afew companies is Oz making these, but one company makes a majority of the units. From what I have seen over there, they are well made, and used by the "tradesmen" for commercial use... hard duty and hold up well.

As far as putting a tray Four Wheel on an imported tray conversion... sure, great idea, and we can do it... hard part is getting the tray and installing it... then we'll build a camper for you. remember... the tray units vary in height and appearance depending on your truck frame and suspension - some of 'em look kinda weird... but still work great. The standard American Eagle or Finch is great... but the Falcon has very tight quarters... it's generally a one person camper ( to my perception and liking).

Dave... thanks for welcoming me into the group! This is new for me, so please bear with my forum "innocence'. By the way... yes, I'm Tom from Four Wheel Campers, and I'll do my best to give everybody straight scoop from my experience and perspective.

Thanks...

Tom

kcowyo

ExPo Original
OutbacKamper said:
Also there is another Aussie style tray on the market in North America (they are imported from Oz):
http://oztray.com

Great link Mark.

With that amount of usable space possible, the Oztray is a great option. Nice to see some Aussie like trays available here now.

I would love to mount my FWC on something like that and build storage boxes around the base. Very versatile and less weight than a utility box bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior