Northstar flatbed popup

Dave

Explorer
Tom, one question for you in regards to using a tray mounted FWC. Would the FWC sit higher on the truck since the platform/tray it's mounted to is above where the wheel wells would be on a normal truck bed? I'm assuming it would.

theMec

Adventurer
Mark, thanks for the new flatbed/tray link.

A rear trundle drawer is not hard to add if the company doesn't provide it. You just add extra C-channels or I beams to allow for more clearance (before the bed is installed). Then add the drawer slides etc. I saw how they did it yesterday when I checked out the Home Depot aluminum flatbeds/trays in Boulder. (There was no manufacturer tags on these but someone on another thread id'd them as being made by Tafco / Scott, I believe.) In any case, while the trundle drawers are handy they increase the height of the bed and your center of gravity.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
One thing to keep in mind with any sort of true flatbed is truck scales. A 1 ton flatbed truck must stop in California scales while a 1 ton with a pick-up bed does not. I don't know about lighter than 1 ton, could be exempted and maybe not.
In any case, it would be a good idea to investigate this in your state or province. Now if the 'flatbed' has non-removable sides (whether they hinge down or not), then you might be able to claim "pick-up bed".
FFT anyway.....

Four Wheel Tom

Hi Dave...

yes... the camper/tray set up will ride higher... depending on the tray and suspension, some will ride higher than others.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior