New Four Wheel UTE Flat Bed Model Coming Soon ...

Denny@fwcjh

Observer
I like the idea of storage under the flat bed. There will be lots of great ideas I am sure including extra batteries and so forth. Overland Hadley you should give me a call I bet we could get you into a flat bed pretty reasonable!

Denny@fwcjh

Observer
Weight:
Ute Flat Bed for Tacoma or other Mini Mid Size Tuck 6ft bed dimensions is right at 250 lbs with headache rack and drop sides. The drop sides weigh in at 55lbs and I am not sure on the headache rack. We can get the bed without drop sides and without a headache rack as well. If anyone knows the composite bed weight on a Tacoma please let me know!
Thanks,
Denny
FWCJH

contento

Observer
100-150lbs of jacks up high on the vehicle doesn't sound appealing to me once you factor in the weight of jacks. Since this is for a ute bed, you'd be better off working to put them between the frame rails under the bed. There is a 4" or so tall gap between the bottom of the bed and the normal ute cross members, the only tricky part is the member across the rear of the ute bed comes down a couple inches so it doesn't provide straight on access, however a modified rear member could solve that one (or they might be able to slip up in there as is). You'd need to make up a compartment to hold them securely and shield them.

You can sorta see what I mean in these shots. The entire area between those channels is open except when you get to the back of the bed you can see how the rear member covers about half.

Yeah they'd definitely be better on the underside of a flatbed, where you could fab up all kinds of cool storage, I was talking about always wanting to store them on the underside of the bed on a regular FCW camper.

Someone, forget their name now, has a diamond plate shelf/storage area they build where they keep rotopax gas tanks. I'm happy with my stock 34gal fuel tank but I do need a place to keep the jacks and there is really no where else on my silverado. I even thought about putting an access door on the outside of the bed, because of all the wasted space between the inner/outer bed skins but it's not a long enough space for jacks. Things like an air compressor or extra battery would fit nicely.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
This is a really great development, I've always thought slide in truck campers 'wasted' so much space in comparison to Ute types.

Perfect! I have always wondered why no one has put the dinette aft (light weight). Are the UTE trays from http://www.uteltd.com/ in Seattle? Is there going to be any weight savings from the bed to Ute tray swap? Being a slightly larger camper how much more weight are you expecting it to gain? Subscribed!!!

Mike

Waygoner

Observer
I've been planning a custom trailer build and this unit matches my plan perfectly. Mount this on a trailer frame and leave enough room on the front to hold one ATV or 2 dirt bikes. Give it good clearance with some off-road tires and I think you'd have the ultimate adventure trailer.

haven

Expedition Leader
I'm glad to see the entry on the side of the camper. It helps keep the interior clean. The rear of the camper is always coated with road dust.

Here's how the camper and flatbed might look on a full size truck. I think this example is a custom unit built by ATC.

ATC-flatbed.jpg

rotti

Adventurer
I'm glad to see the entry on the side of the camper. It helps keep the interior clean. The rear of the camper is always coated with road dust.

Here's how the camper and flatbed might look on a full size truck. I think this example is a custom unit built by ATC.

ATC-flatbed.jpg

That camper and truck are for sale by a member here and the founding father of Wander the West.
Great deal for someone:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7185/

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Patiently waiting pics of it on the truck, but running out of patience. I have been waiting for something like this. Just give me a teaser pic!

Denny@fwcjh

Observer
Mike,

Yes, I get the Ute Trays from Seattle. They are imported from Australia and Four Wheel Campers Jackson Hole is a dealer for them. I don't have an official weight for the Tacoma bed but the ute was significantly lighter when we lifted it off.

Keyne

Adventurer
Awesome. Looks great and I really like the layout. Especially the dinette seating with I am assuming a window at the rear? However, just wondering... the grate for the shower... any reason not to put it in the entry door space instead of the dinette? Also, can it be used off the truck (maybe with some blocks underneath for support)? Cant wait to see the final build photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online