2M Antenna Recommendations?

Klierslc

Explorer
No experience with most of those antennas but the comet csb is a stiff antenna with a fold-over hinge at the base. It doesn't take kindly to hits but can be folded down to get it out of the way. Doesn't work well when folded though.

Demo243

Thank you very much! I have compiled a list of antennas from Comet and Diamond that are all 1/2 waves. Was unable to find a website for Larson. Out of this list, any favorites? Not on this list? Are they all able to take hits well or does one stand out? Would prefer black to match the radio antenna but by no means a deal breaker. Is there a preferred mounting location between front fender, tail light, tailgate hinges or bumper? looks like the club is getting us licensed in 2 weeks!
View attachment 422640

I've run the comet ss-680sbnmo on a tailgate mount on my Tacoma - had it mated to a baofeng with decent results. Then I put a shell on the truck and needed some extra height to get the antenna tip up above the shell and went with the diamond 770 which I now have mated to a Yaesu 100dr

The diamond seems to perform better for me - it's taken a number of branch strikes and keeps ticking. I keep the comet in the truck just as a spare

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I don't recommend the Comet SS-680SB. Two people in our club (including me) have had them fall apart on us.

I went to a Larsen NMOWB150B half wave (black, BTW) and have been very happy with it. The whip is taller than a center-loaded antenna, but is reliable as a rock and cheap to replace if needed. The aforementioned is NMO mount, there is also the Larsen MHW-150B which is PL-239 mount if needed.

I have mounted Larsens on the front bumper of the Trooper, and also a tailgate hinge mount on the FJC. Neither are great for ground plane, so the half wave is a good choice. I have conversed over 15 miles away with this setup, so I'm happy with it.

Last edited:

prerunner1982

Adventurer
If you are looking for something more budget friendly you might look at the Browning BR-180-b (https://www.amazon.com/BROWNING-Ama...pID=21q6DghvL7L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch). I have run them on my Jeep for the last 4 years and ********** them on tree limbs multiple times a day every day and they have held up fine and they are less than half the price of the fame Larsen.

With some RF Bonding (connecting part of Jeep with braided ground strap such as hood to tub, tub to frame, and exhaust system to frame) you could run a 5/8 wave on the front fender such as the Larsen NMO-150b. It's more than flexible enough to survive.

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
For NMO antennas, I highly recommend the Laird C27 for CB and the Laird C144/440C for 2m/70cm.

I also have the Larsen NMO270, but the construction feels a lot better on the laird antenna. The center ground pin on the Laird NMO is a nice spring-loaded brass plunger rod, as opposed to the Larsen, which is a flimsy tab of mystery metal.

RF performance is probably identical, but I wanted to put a good word out there for the Laird antennas.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I use the Larsen NMO27 and NMO2/70 that sonoronos mentions. I also have a NMO150. All have been solid for me, highly recommended. The springy blade may seem crude but it works fine and has no moving parts to fail. On mine it appears to be tinned brass. It's definitely nonferrous anyway and there's a reddish color under the coating. Larsen has been making their antennas this way for decades and it hasn't been a problem.

Billoftt

Another shorty option is a Larsen NMO2/70SH, which is a stubby dual band with a spring. I have one for low hanging trails.

4127.jpg
I have this antenna mounted straight into my roof. a great performer and very durable. Also, Pulse-Larsen sells those springs individually so if you see an antenna of theirs that you like that does not have a spring, you can add it on, just make sure you throw an analyzer on it to get it tuned up right.

As a matter of fact, all of the Pulse-Larsen parts are replaceable, in case you bust a coil or an element or whatever, you can just replace the one part.

DaveInDenver

For NMO antennas, I highly recommend the Laird C27 for CB and the Laird C144/440C for 2m/70cm.

I also have the Larsen NMO270, but the construction feels a lot better on the laird antenna. The center ground pin on the Laird NMO is a nice spring-loaded brass plunger rod, as opposed to the Larsen, which is a flimsy tab of mystery metal.

RF performance is probably identical, but I wanted to put a good word out there for the Laird antennas.
Wanted to mention that @sonoronos some time ago mentioned preferring Laird to Larsen for the spring loaded center pin. At the time I didn't agree, arguing that the springy tab of the Larsen is fine. And it had always been for me (and still does on my NMO2/70).

But I had an issue with poor contact on an NMO150 recently. It seemed like it was working but after being bounced and banged on trails I would stop getting APRS packets out. So remembering what he said I took a chance and bought a Laird BB1442N, which is a 2m 1/2 wavelength no ground plane single band antenna. The NMO150 is a 5/8 wavelength so the experiment wasn't so much to test gain or matching but more about the spring loaded center pin.

I gotta say, the Laird has been stone cold reliable now for about 6 weeks. I may be a convert due to his recommendation.

I am just getting into ham and am having some issue with a mobile antenna for the ht in my Land Rover 110. Alum skin on roof.
I have a fire stick for my cb mounted on antenna tab on front brush guard. I have 1/4 (144 MHz)/ 5/8wave @430MHz mag mount .but no steel to mount it, except the roof rack, which isn’t grounded or solid sheet, like a roof.

I don’t think I have any ground plane with the rack or alum roof. Not opposed to drilling another hole in the roof if it would work. Not height challenged , Just lack of steel, it seems.

Any recommendations or advice welcome.

Last edited:

prerunner1982

Adventurer
The roof rack may be fine. VHF/UHF don't need a whole lot of metal to work well. It's close proximity to the metal roof may be an issue...may not.
If you aren't opposed to drilling a hole that would be the best option.

GMAS

I have learned with CB that the antenna is an often overlooked part of the setup, and that the best radio will be worth nada without a good antenna.

So, as I venture into 2M land... what type of antenna can I get that will mount to the tabs on my rack... and do the job well without breaking the bank, while also being durable enough to handle "hits" from trees, urban obstacles etc.?

BTW, I'm looking to replace my Firestik II CB antenna too so maybe I can get two that are of similar construction/length etc. for mounting up front on my rack?

Suggestions?
FOR THE time being.. go to get a 2 mtr mag mount.. it will stick anywhere on the roofline... then when you get home you can address enlarging the hole in the rack to accept a NMO mount for the antenna... etc... G>M. WA6CDE

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

1659279130093.png

Best 2 Meter antenna you can build. Plans are on line I'm sure.

However, I posted this pic to show a J Pole, but don't mount one like this strapped to a metal pole. Use a PVC pipe as a sleeve to insulate the antenna from the mounting hardware. Pretty simple build.

DaveInDenver

Dave Bennet said:
I have learned with CB that the antenna is an often overlooked part of the setup, and that the best radio will be worth nada without a good antenna.

So, as I venture into 2M land... what type of antenna can I get that will mount to the tabs on my rack... and do the job well without breaking the bank, while also being durable enough to handle "hits" from trees, urban obstacles etc.?

BTW, I'm looking to replace my Firestik II CB antenna too so maybe I can get two that are of similar construction/length etc. for mounting up front on my rack?

A J-pole is a very fine antenna but doesn't seem like it would meet some of the OP's and many of the subsequent posting member requirements for a mobile antenna other than cost and naturally performance? Even as a portable antenna it's not the most packable when built with soldered copper tubing, although there's roll up other options to make it so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste