2M Antenna Recommendations?

4RunAmok

Explorer
Surprising how many people have mounted antennas without any consideration given to the ground plane, which dictates the entire effectiveness of any antenna.

Contact Comet Antennas @
NCG Companies Inc.
15036 Sierra Bonita Lane
Chino, CA 91710

Toll Fre: 800.962.2611
Phone: 909.393.6133
FAX: 909.393.6136

And let them know you're mounting this to a tab on an offroad roof rack.

You may also wish to check how well that rack is grounded to your vehicle, if at all, my friend mounted his to the tab on his basket, and it was secured to his roof with rubber grommets in between and was not grounded he had almost zero transmission and had to install ground straps. You don't want to spend good money on an antenna and find that it doesn't get out because you didn't investigate your ground.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
4RunAmok said:
Surprising how many people have mounted antennas without any consideration given to the ground plane, which dictates the entire effectiveness of any antenna.

Contact Comet Antennas @
NCG Companies Inc.
15036 Sierra Bonita Lane
Chino, CA 91710

You may also wish to check how well that rack is grounded to your vehicle, if at all, my friend mounted his to the tab on his basket, and it was secured to his roof with rubber grommets in between and was not grounded he had almost zero transmission and had to install ground straps. You don't want to spend good money on an antenna and find that it doesn't get out because you didn't investigate your ground.

Very good advice, thank you Sir!

PhulesAU

Explorer
4RunAmok said:

Contact Comet Antennas @
NCG Companies Inc.
15036 Sierra Bonita Lane
Chino, CA 91710

Put this on the should have learned while preparing for the test, list. Basic electrical theory.

Azrocks

Adventurer
Over the last few weeks I did three installations for Yaesu radios. I put a FT7800 in a Toyota Tacoma, an FT8900 in a Dodge Ram truck, and an FT8900 in a Dodge Durango. I have been using the Dodge Ram radio with a mag mount 1/2 wave antenna in the center of the cab roof. It seemed to work very well and have been pleased with the results.

In conjuction with the installations, I did a "through the roof" mount in all of the above using the Larson NMO mount. It was a whopping $13 including the coax. I went through the dome light for all the installations to route the cable. The hole size required was 3/4" and I used a hole saw to cut it. You don't have direct access to the underside of the hole for the install. The mount seals against the sheet metal with an o-ring.

Anyway, I just have to say that the difference in TX and RX between the mag mount and through the roof mount is pretty amazing. For those of you who cringe about drilling through your roof, there are ways to plug the hole for when you resell the vehicle. It is also very nice to not have cables running all over the place and looks clean.

If anybody has questions on what is involved with this, let me know.

4RunAmok

Explorer
You don't need a steel roof to have an excellent ground plane with a "through-roof" mount.

All you need is a copper sheet, about 18"x18" (inches, not feet, you don't need a stonehenge size sheet) in size. Some good electronics shops will have this. It's thicker than regular foil, but thinner than a penny, and it's pliable.

Secure the copper to the inside of the roof above the headliner, and install your antenna mount through the middle of it.

I have been told it's not necessary, but you may wish to ground the copper sheet to the vehicle with some good insulated copper wire. If I was to do this, I'd probably ground all 4 corners of the copper sheet just to make sure I have a good ground on all sides.

By the way, here's how clean the outside of your vehicle looks with a through-roof mount:

AndrewP

Explorer
Copper sheeting would work fine, and grounding it to the body and chassis will increase the net size of your counterpoise. All good. Just ground it with copper braid, even 1 corner will do fine at VHF/UHF frequencies. Then run a 5/8 wave antenna and you will have a nearly optimum set up. If you have a metal roof, though, none of that is necessary.

Azrocks

Adventurer
I didn't have the heart to do it on my own FJ40, but I have seen the copper sheet method used on a fiberglass top on another and it worked very well.

AndrewP

Explorer
Azrocks said:
I didn't have the heart to do it on my own FJ40, but I have seen the copper sheet method used on a fiberglass top on another and it worked very well.

Since you are talking FJ40's, you need something when the top is off too. I went with a 1/2 wave Larsen and a home made bracket that uses an NMO mount and a Larsen antenna. I also have an antenna tab on my rear rack, which I could use if I had the top on.

Angel?

Adventurer
alvarorb said:
As for the 2m setup. I have Comet's heavy duty K400C and a short SBB1 rubber ducky antenna for every day use (parking in my garage) and tight trails. For desert trips I have a much longer antenna (better gain). I'm not at home right now.

I am with Alvaro - consider a lipmount. Similar to Alvaro, I have a Diamond K400 lip mount, yet for an NMO, Part#K400SNMO. To it is attached a Comet SBB-5NMO 38" 1/2 Wave 2M and 2 5/8 70cm dual band antenna. If I am running with overhang nearby, I will drop to a SBB-1 17" flexible dual band that Alvaro has installed.

Here's a pic:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12031&d=1194715985

Azrocks

Adventurer
AndrewP said:
Since you are talking FJ40's, you need something when the top is off too. I went with a 1/2 wave Larsen and a home made bracket that uses an NMO mount and a Larsen antenna. I also have an antenna tab on my rear rack, which I could use if I had the top on.

I'll add pics of my setup with and without the top on my FJ40. I used a Wilson lipmount that I can put either on the rear body or ambulance door. I used groundstrap to the body and it reallys seems to help. I usually use the 1/2 wave antenna but also carry the SBB1 flexible antenna inside the hardtop "gutter".

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
2m antenna mounting recommendations

TACODOC said:
So, as I venture into 2M land... what type of antenna can I get that will mount to the tabs on my rack... and do the job well without breaking the bank, while also being durable enough to handle "hits" from trees, urban obstacles etc.?

Another great thread!
There seems to be a few recommendations for the Larsen. Looks like they are a solid choice.

I'm not sure if this should be covered in this thread (dedicated to antenna selection) vs. a dedicated thread for antenna mounting. Seems to be two separate topics but they are closely related.

I'd like to see some pictures and part numbers for the guys who have mounted 2m antennas to their rigs (other than what was already posted).

I'm very currious about where the Tacoma owners have mounted their 2m antennas. In my neck of the woods, I need to semi conceal the antenna (i.e. back of the truck) due the tight trails and many branches. I had started with a CB radio mounted to the driver side fender similar to BajaTaco's solution here but after 20 minutes on the trail I removed the antenna for fear of ripping it off the fender with continued abuse! It is now mounted on the rear bumper and half protected by the truck but at the expense of optimum performance.

Cheers,
P

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Tacoma hood mounting solutions.

I noticed that many folks are mounting their 2m antennas in the hood region.

Mr. Brady used a larsen antenna with a larsen hood mount as posted here.

Does anyone know what the part number for that hood mount is? I searched for a good picture, but did not come up with anything yet.

Cheers,
P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles