The rock test this weekend

1leg

Explorer
Took the JK out with the new tires (255/85/16 bfg) for a rock crawling test. My bro went with in his 4 Runner.
Place
Anza Borrego Coyote canyon.
2152824489_daa0084e38.jpg

2152818071_f50a0a77e9.jpg

2153612600_97b93fec89.jpg

2152821307_1288f66129.jpg

2153606656_e48eeab7b1.jpg

2153605104_49f11ea158.jpg

2152823689_976cc92b77.jpg

Pictures always make it look easier then it is. I'm very pleased with the JKs performance in the rocks. I only have a LSD in the rear and front is open. I only had the back up and change lines twice all day

7wt

Expedition Leader
I think I should start a no Coyote Canyon picture policy since I can't readily go there anymore! Torture. Nice pics by the way.

jl8088

Adventurer
did you visit the little cabin at the end of the trail? I plan on doing that trail in the next few weeks. Thanks for the recent photos of what to expect.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Jerry,

Nice trip.......thanks for sharing!

We need to meet out in Anza~Borrego one day.

While I was out there at the head of the trail waiting for TacoDoc and crew........a Park Ranger drove by. She Loved my 4Runner! She stayed and talked for a while. I just know she thought I was cute and just kept flirting....but couldn't admit it
cause she could get fired!........hehe:eek: :cool: :costumed-smiley-007 ........hehe ....Just Kidding!:shakin:

I asked her about the Cabin and if we can get to it from this side. She said no....you have to come down from the "Anza" side.

I did not think this was correct....but I didn't want to argue with...the boss!

I want to visit that cabin one day. What's the deal on getting to the cabin?

Dontcha think we are about due for another San Diego Meet/Greet/Eat~n~Wheel....>?!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

1leg

Explorer
To get to the cabin now you must come from the north. Here is a trip report from adventure 4x4 They didn't make it to the cabin but you can tell from the report some trail maintenance is needed. I did this complete trail before they closed 8 or 10 years ago. It has changed allot.

SWR. A meet and greet + wheeling would be good. I don't have any plans for February yet. I really want to do the Bradshaw trail and camp at the river.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

1leg said:
To get to the cabin now you must come from the north. Here is a trip report from adventure 4x4 They didn't make it to the cabin but you can tell from the report some trail maintenance is needed. I did this complete trail before they closed 8 or 10 years ago. It has changed allot.

SWR. A meet and greet + wheeling would be good. I don't have any plans for February yet. I really want to do the Bradshaw trail and camp at the river.

Jerry...........

Let's do the Bradshaw!

I have a Planning thread for that somewhere......including the river. I will post it up if I find it.

I finally found one of my Bradshaw planning threads.....but it's over here.......

http://www.adventure4x4.net/waiting/showthread.php?t=620

My truck kept breaking....so I couldn't go back then.

Last edited by a moderator:

1leg

Explorer
I think I have a three day weekend in Feb. I will post the date.
I will PM you my E-mail.

jl8088

Adventurer
"To get to the cabin now you must come from the north"

So how far can you take the south route up? Does the trail just end in a wash somewhere. I take it that the rains moved everything around because it was supposed to be a loop if i'm reading my trail book correctly.

I'd like to park at the end of the existing southern trail and then hike to cabin. It shouldn't be that far from the end i bet. The GPS will help regardless (thanks santa).

And count me in for another San Diego group trip. I missed the last one because of a wedding.

1leg

Explorer
From what i understand it's about a mile hike or so from the south end gate( Middle willows) to the cabin. I was at the south end gate Monday and it would be a nice place to camp. The middle willows is cloesed in the Summer time i Belive.

jl8088

Adventurer
Got it! Thanks a ton for the info. I wonder what that water crossing you did will look like after all the rain (2+ inches) we're supposed to get this weekend. It looked decently deep when you did it on Monday. I wonder if it would even be possible this weekend.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
jl8088 said:
Got it! Thanks a ton for the info. I wonder what that water crossing you did will look like after all the rain (2+ inches) we're supposed to get this weekend. It looked decently deep when you did it on Monday. I wonder if it would even be possible this weekend.
Just past the entrance (where the pavement turns to dirt) there's a short section that can turn into deep mud. I don't think my truck ('05 Taco) could get through immediately after a good soak. There might be a bypass to the east. Last time it was wet I was solo so I turned around and went somewhere else.

I'd also be interested in hiking to the cabin. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier