MB Vario Diff Lock

andylod

Tea Drinker :-)
Hi All

A few pictures of the diff and diff lock conversion. Just doing a bit of a dry run on the bench before final assembly. I will post all of the parts list etc as soon as its fitted and proved to be working properly.

Andy

photo copy 2.JPG
photo copy 3.JPG
photo copy 4.JPG
photo copy 5.JPG
photo copy 6.JPG
photo copy.JPG
photo.JPG

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Great stuff Andy, looking forward to the final fit up and first test run!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Andy,

When you install the new set up, are you doing anything with the springs/hangers? I'm sure i read somewhere that you can turn the hangers upside down or something to get more ground clearance a la the 4x4 varios.

andylod

Sorry been a bit quiet ....
Spent a bit of time building the unit on the bench to make sure it was going to work, then stripped it, torqued everything up and rebuilt it. Then positioned the crown wheel against the pinion using engineers blue whilst making sure to keep the desired preload on the bearings.
Its a bit of a lump to fit (approx 100kgs) but quite straight forward to fit. I saved the old oil when i took the old unit off, so just reused this with a small top up once the replacement was fitted

Latest update is that everything is fitted and working perfectly :wings:
Took it for its first test run just to a local farm and managed to get stuck in a muddy rut in 2wd...... once the diff lock was engaged it just drove out out easily.
We went down south to Devon and Dorset last weekend so gave it a good road run( approx 500 miles), next job is just to drain the oil and add new fresh EP 80/90.
Heres a few pictures of the final fitment.
photo copy 7.jpg
photo copy 8.jpg
photo copy 10.JPG
photo copy 13.JPG
photo copy 14.JPG

I will get round to posting the parts lists and other bits and bobs soon.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
CONGRATULATIONS! That some fine work right there. I am, I have to say, super jealous you now have a diff lock, but at the same time very grateful you worked out how to do it and are willing to share with the rest of us.

Looking forward to the write up, will it include a rough how to? Fittings for the air system look good too, bet running the pipes to the cab was a pretty ****ty job though!?

andylod

We had an event at Hop Farm in Kent last weekend. We had had a fair bit of rain in the few days before to the event site was very boggy in areas. This was the first time we had to use the Difflock in anger and it was brilliant. Got us much further in the mud than without it, but towing a 3 ton trailer through mud does hold you back a bit. once we stopped, unhiched and turned around it was very simple to winch the trailer towards us untill it was on dryer ground. We hitched back up and was on our way again, No drama's, it was great.
I promise i will get round to posting the HOW TO guide as soon as a get a chance.
Andy

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Andy!

Any closer to getting a guide put together for this? Just while it is all still fresh in your memory!

Thanksm

andylod

Hi Anton

Funnily enough I only dug the paperwork out yesterday :) .... Are you planning on coming to the Overland Show ? because I had thought i would collate the info I have, make some copies and bring them along to give out to anyone interested..... If your not coming then no probs and i promise i will get round to posting them :)
Andy

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hi Andy,

Unfortunately I cant make it to the show, which i'm gutted about! I hope to catch it one year, maybe next year! I'd be keen to get a copy of the guide when you get a minute. How is the truck, any updates?

Thanks

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hey Andy, just been looking at your photos again, and notive you have this front out diff. I think I have the rear out diff on mine. Do you know if that means the parts/process will be completely different for this conversion, or if its even possible at all on this type?

thebigblue

Adventurer
Hi Anton

Funnily enough I only dug the paperwork out yesterday :) .... Are you planning on coming to the Overland Show ? because I had thought i would collate the info I have, make some copies and bring them along to give out to anyone interested..... If your not coming then no probs and i promise i will get round to posting them :)
Andy

I would really appreciate any further info on this, as I´m looking at a 614 4x2 and would need a diff-lock conversion if I where to go this road ;) - Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94