Suspension for a working/traveling Tacoma?

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Sitting in line at a stoplight last week in Roseann's Tacoma, minding my own business, I heard the sound of screeching brakes behind me. With nothing possible to do except mash my foot on the brake and watch my mirror, I saw a full-size Dodge pickup slam into the station wagon behind me, which in turned slammed into me, sending me, even with wheels locked, smartly into the Eagle Talon in front of me.

Marvelous.

The Tucson Police Department, true to their reputation, showed up one hour and thirty five minutes later. Fortunately, aside from a shaken up passenger in the station wagon, no one was injured, and the responsible party was insured and abjectly apologetic. He and I actually spent the time discussing the relative merits of Glocks versus HK USPs . . .

Damage was extremely limited. The rear, stock chrome step bumper was smashed and pushed under the bed of the truck, but no sheet metal was affected, nor was the frame. The front bumper was bent upward on one side, again with nothing else affected.

So, we have an insurance check coming, and have decided to make lemonade by doing some modifications.

First on the list is an ARB front bumper, which we have wanted for some time given our remote location and the many cows and other large mammals on the road at night. Plus it would be nice to have a winch on the truck as well as the Land Cruiser. We're just installing a black step bumper on the rear for now.

So we'll need new springs and shocks up front. And our rear springs are shot, thanks to having a Four-Wheel Popup camper on the truck for several years.

So here's the conundrum: We need a working suspension with the capacity for controlling the extra weight up front, plus the shell that is now on the bed, plus the construction materials we often haul out to our house, which is five miles down a washboarded dirt road. We don't have the funds for the whole coil-over Donahoe front/custom Deaver rear setup. On the other hand I don't want to slap in add-a-leafs, spacers, and KYB shocks. We don't want more than an inch or two of lift, to avoid CV issues on the front axles, and because we intend to keep the stock, 31x10.5 tire size for reasons of fuel economy.

So far the best setup to me looks to be the Old Man Emu medium kit, which I have on the LC and like. I could save a bit by using Bilstein shocks instead of the OMEs, but I'm hesitant to mix and match.

Any advice from the group? Thanks in advance.

Scott Brady

Founder
Jonathan,

I believe, that for your application (the requirement to carry additional weight, yet still provide a quality ride), the Deaver Add A Leaf (AAL) would be the most economical solution, while still providing good performance.

Deaver AAL

For the front, I would recommend a heavier rated OME coil set:

So the coil set would be OME882 and the shocks would be OME91s

Or, you could install a set of Tundra struts, and replace the top mount. They are heavier rated springs, and can be found pretty cheap.

Here is a good source for OME (great service reputation) Wheelers

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks, Scott. I would consider a (quality) add-a-leaf set, except our stock springs are so stressed out I'm not sure they could be re-arched first. I might take them by the Tucson spring shop and see what they say.

We once tried inexpensive AALs on our old truck (single short leaf), and quickly cracked both in Mexico. A friend had the same experience with the same set. The Deaver three-leaf pack looks much better.

I agree about the front springs and shocks--you obviously remember our driveway well!

Incidentally, how are your coilovers holding up to the ARB and winch?

Scott Brady

Founder
I could not speak higher of the Deaver units. For your application, a 9 leaf would be ideal. They can also custom tune the lift heigt.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
expeditionswest said:
I could not speak higher of the Deaver units. For your application, a 9 leaf would be ideal. They can also custom tune the lift heigt.

Deavers are great! Keep in mind towing with a softer spring might require yet another modification to keep you rear up :shakin: when towing heavier load frequently. They are the best springs you can get, and highly recomended by many Toyota owners.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I third the Deaver recommend - my only regret is I went 8 leaf instead of 9. My though is now to go for the 9 complete set, then sell the 8's this way I start off new once again - The regret came into play once I loaded the rest of the truck with adventure gear which I had not planned on in the beginning i.e.; the roof top tent and tube rack to hold it...

I do like very much the Donahoe coils in the front, and the Bilstein 5150;s in the back - however I had a shock eye come loose and had to weld it until the replacements come in... The thread are fine and not quite long enough into the eye mount. All and all I do like the ride I have now :D

Attachments

• IMG_5190.jpg
    IMG_5190.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Camp2.jpg
    Camp2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Camp1.jpg
    Camp1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 3

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks everyone for all the input. The Deaver springs are on my long list, especially if we buy another Four-Wheel Popup camper. For now I had to watch the bottom line very closely. (I did talk a better-financed friend into a set for his '90 Toyota pickup, so at least I sent them some business!)

I found a vendor on the TTORA forum selling a complete OME set for an excellent price. Springs, shocks (your choice of rate), bushings, exhaust bracket. That combination should work well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior