First ever bike, very overwhelmed, leaning towards KLR650 or GS ???

RHINO

Expedition Leader
for what it sounds like you want to do, a bike like the versys and weestrom would be very well suited. the cb500x is looking like a great platform to fill right in with both the others.

I just started looking at the versys on a recommendation from a previous post. I'm actually really liking it. Watched a couple YouTube videos were they added parts for mild trail riding. I defiantly might be heading this route if I can track a green one down. I know 2009 came in green still looking to see what other years have the Kawasaki green.

fullofdays

Wondering Wanderer
PLUS 1 - CB500X is a great machine.
for what it sounds like you want to do, a bike like the versys and weestrom would be very well suited. the cb500x is looking like a great platform to fill right in with both the others.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Whatever you do, I strongly suggest you do not buy new. The depreciation curve on a new motorcycle is a cliff.

My advice for any first motorcycle purchase: Small, Cheap, and Used.

The internet is full of stories of guys who spent upwards of $10k on that shiny Harley they'd been dreaming about since high school and they're heartbroken when they dump it in the parking lot on the way home before they've even made their first payment. Remember that your first motorcycle will be your "starter bike." There's about a 95% chance you'll drop it within the first few months of riding - it happens to all of us (I've been riding over 30 years and I've dropped every motorcycle I've owned except for my current one - knock wood! :D )

Another recommendation from someone who's been there - stay away from 'boutique bikes' unless you want to spend a lot of money. When I dropped my 2001 Triumph Thunderbird and broke a headlight bracket, the replacement part was about $60 - if it had been a Honda it would have been about $15. BMW, Triumph, Ducati, Moto Guzzi and the like cater to customers with lots of disposable cash, and parts and service are priced accordingly.

Honestly I think a 650 is probably more bike than you need. A 250cc - 500cc dual sport thumper (1 cyl) or twin should be more than adequate for any beginning rider. Don't listen to the people who say "you'll outgrow a 250." Unless you're doing a lot of high speed road riding, that's just not true. Look around the world and you'll see that on most of the planet, a 250cc is considered a 'big bike' and people ride all over the place on 125cc - 200cc thumpers.

IMO 450cc - 500cc is the perfect size for a beginner bike in the US, unfortunately there aren't many bikes in that size category to choose from. The Suzuki DRZ-400, or an older DR-350SE (SE = electric starter) have plenty of power but not so much weight that they overwhelm you.

Scan Craigslist and Cycletrader for used bikes in your area, and if you have a friend who is knowledgeable about motorcycles, take that friend along to check out any bikes you are interested in. Unfortunately, this is the worst time of the year to buy a motorcycle (although it's the best time to sell a motorcycle) because when the weather gets warm people get "bike fever."

Frank

Explorer
I miss my old KLR but I do think that it needs A LOT of work to make it a great bike. It's good in stock form and I would recommend one to anyone who just wants to ride a motorcycle.

My entire build thread is here in the motorcycle section. My thoughts on the bike are in that thread.

BlackdogGS

Observer
One of the bike rags just did a comparo on the KLR, KTM 690 and Husvarna 650. ( Cycle World?). Hands down, I would take the Husky.

Idahoan

Adventurer
I had a KLR and thought is was crap off road and very limited with what I could find upgrades for. Dumped it and bought a VRod and an XR. Don't have to have just 1. If I were going to get another giant dual sport it would be a KTM. Road a friends and it was pretty decent in the hills. Still not a dirt bike...

SMBsprinter

My roommate had a 1987 KLR650 back in the day. Had so much fun with that motorcycle, and it wasn't my first. I had a 1987 Hurricane sport bike and we would swap at will. I think the KLR is a known quantity, cheap and has been around quite literally forever in motorcycle dual sport history and should be easily sellable if it wasn't the right fit or you got bored. The KLR certainly is not cutting edge nor modern technology.

At the higher price levels, Triumph Tiger and Ducati also have dual sport options, but you mentioned budget is a concern. The higher end dual sports are quite unique and capable on the street and weights have come down as well, which certainly helps manueverability offroad.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
It's funny what Martin said about dropping every bike he's owned. My first bike, a Honda 450 Nighthawk (25 years ago) got dropped on a regular basis. Granted I was 16, but that poor thing took a pounding.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
One of the bike rags just did a comparo on the KLR, KTM 690 and Husvarna 650. ( Cycle World?). Hands down, I would take the Husky.

I have been riding the Husky recently. At the Journal we get to ride a bunch of different bikes so it's fun to compare.

I really wanted to like the Husky, but I didn't like the power delivery (not as smooth as I expected) and I didn't like the riding position that the stock stepped-seat forced me into. It made me sit far forward, which is good when you want to attack a turn in the dirt, but sometimes you just want to sit back and relax on the pavement.

The big thumpers (XR, KLR, etc) are good all purpose bikes but you will feel the fatigue with a lot of highway riding.

Ask around from friends and dealers, and try to test ride as many types and styles of bikes as you can so you can figure out what you like before you buy.

My regular rides are the XR650L as a DS, and a YZF250F for dedicated trail riding. Both are fun, neither is a great street bike.

I am thinking of getting a Triumph Scrambler as well. Not as a trail bike, because it isn't one, but as something that I would be happy with on the street, and that I could still take up a fire-road with a tent on occasion. A decent used one is about 5 or 6 grand. It would also be a good bike to keep up with a bunch of Harleys.

I've had a bunch of Triumph's so I am not worried about maintenance and parts, but it's definitely quirkier than a Japanese bike.

Anyways, lots of options. The worst thing that will happen is you buy a bike, don't really like it, sell it, buy another one, and chalk it up as a learning experience.

I agree to buy used. You WILL drop your bike.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
By the way, don't forget to budget for riding gear. You can easily spend more on your riding gear than the bike itself. It's also good to adopt the ATGATT protocol. That's All The Gear All the Time. Motorcycle injuries are seldom minor.

Profwest

THE bike you are after is the DL650. VERY capable on-road, and holds it own on the dirt appropriately set-up. Can handle two-up riding with luggage, will lose the Harleys (easily) in the twisty stuff, and is much better value than the BeemersIMG_1346-001.jpg

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I also agree about cheap and used and that things will change. I oriented way more towards dirt and am pretty happy about it... But it took me 2-3 bikes to get there..

bahndo

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
I started on a XR250 when I was 17, that bike had plenty for me for a good long while. I moved to a GSXR 750 (heavily modded) which was really fun and incredibly comfortable at speeds over 80 mph. Took a break from powered bikes for while but got back into it last year. I picked up a used KTM 620SC last year, great bike bike for fire/forest service roads but a little squirely on the road over 60-65 mph (due to the knobbies). The bike was cheap, ran great for a while but I worked on it off and on all winter. I recently picked up a F650GS that has been built basically into a dakar (suspension, wheels, tires, lots of touratech stuff). I have to say the GS is sweet. I do ride mostly on the road with some forest road travel and although the GS is a heavy machine I am pretty happy with it. It cost me $4750 with an extra set of wheels (stockers with road tires) and an extra set of knobbies for the stockers as well. All that said, if the GS had been my first bike I would not have liked it as much. It was really nice to have something a little smaller and more "flickable" in the beginning. If all your buddies are on HD's then I would buy some 250-500cc bike and get really comfortable on it before I tried to keep up with them. If you learn to ride well you'll be able to keep up with the HD's on pretty much anything (as long as it's not straight wide open hwy/interstate). Just my experience/opinion....

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
I went through similar a few years ago, and ended up buying a 2001 KLR for $1100. I learned to ride on it, learned what I liked and didn't, and sold it for $1700. Pretty easy to do with a KLR. If I had it to do over, I'd do the same, and when thinking of buying a bike, despite desiring a BMW GS, I still like the KLR and would have another again without feeling less for it.

My reasoning is if I crashed the KLR, the loss was minimal compared to a $5K BMW. I had a few oops on the KLR and repairs were near nothing. It never left me stranded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94