First ever bike, very overwhelmed, leaning towards KLR650 or GS ???

Longtallsally

Adventurer
You've received a lot of intelligent input here. I'll add a couple thoughts:
- Hardley's are not motorcycles, they are an image. Flame away, but I think they are dangerous: slow, can't stop and can't turn. I personally think you're nuts if that is a long term desire, but to each his own.

- I actually started my adventure bike penchant on a GS1200 (already about 15+ years of riding). I'm still hooked with my GSA. But, for a "proper" dirt bike I got a KLR at one point. It's not a dirt bike. It's a cheaper (much) version of a GS. My point is the KLR is a great machine to start out with for a number of reasons:
1- Price
2- You will learn how to work on a bike
3- Capable of freeway speed, but not sportbike fast
4- Mildly dirt capable (probably more dependent on your skill)
5- It will sell instantly if you price it KLR style

The XRL is too buzzy and personally think the Weestrom is a POS, and I know I'll get killed for saying that, but I think they're junk and as capable off road as a Ducati with about an inch of suspension travel and cast wheels to bend the first speed bump you hit too hard.

So to finish out my obnoxiousness, get the KLR, get good with it, get tired of it, and then move up to something more long term, of which the choices are growing each year: Yamaha, KTM, BMW...

805gregg

Adventurer
Check out the Suzuki DR650, much better off road than a KLR, lots of aftermarket parts, I just did 1800 miles in Mexico to Copper Canyon and back, the DR was perfect for the on road and off road riding, BMW and KTM are yuppie dual sports

deminimis

Explorer
No follow up here? Did you buy? Still looking? Every get any miles under your butt? If all your friends ride "Hardlys", then get new friends. Ha! If you now have some skills, I loved my KTM 950 Super Enduro. Rode every bit as good on the pavement as a GS, but so much better than a GS on the dirt. Hard to find and they are thirsty beasts (requiring an expensive larger Safari tank), but great bikes. Of course, the KLR is much cheaper and pretty much like a good ol' Ford N8 tractor (not sexy, but goes and goes and goes). If still a beginner, then KLR would be my rec, for what it's worth. The KTM needs some wrenching and mod to make it just right, so perhaps not the best idea at this time.

CavTrooper

Observer
My first bike was a 2013 800gs and I'm loving it. If you are looking at the 650gs might as well pick up the 700 instead. I suggest go out on a test ride and get a feel for all of them, then do the math. They all have their pros and cons. Best of luck!

Cody1771

Explorer
The XRL is too buzzy and personally think the Weestrom is a POS, and I know I'll get killed for saying that, but I think they're junk and as capable off road as a Ducati with about an inch of suspension travel and cast wheels to bend the first speed bump you hit too hard.

to each there own, I have a wee and have done some trails that most wouldn't do on a KLR. just check out my youtube page. the wheels are extremly well built and strong. and the suspension is very easy to tweak and get a good ride on.

Explorer
GET A 250!

If you get a big bike, you will learn to ride defensively, meaning you will ride scared and be learning all sorts of bad habits. Some of these habits cannot be unlearned, they are survival habits.

If you get a little bike, you will start learning how to ride aggressively, this has nothing to do with you, its just the nature of the game.

Every formula one driver learned how to milk every ounce of performance from a go-cart before getting into the next biggest machine.

Get a used 250, ride it for a while, and then move up. There is no shame in riding slow on a little bike, but watching a beginner not utilizing a big bike looks ridiculous.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
GET A 250!

If you get a big bike, you will learn to ride defensively, meaning you will ride scared and be learning all sorts of bad habits. Some of these habits cannot be unlearned, they are survival habits.

If you get a little bike, you will start learning how to ride aggressively, this has nothing to do with you, its just the nature of the game.

Every formula one driver learned how to milk every ounce of performance from a go-cart before getting into the next biggest machine.

Get a used 250, ride it for a while, and then move up. There is no shame in riding slow on a little bike, but watching a beginner not utilizing a big bike looks ridiculous.

Agree on that. The first bike I really had out on the road after getting my license was a Triumph Trophy 1200. Not the best starter bike to say the least. I rode a 250 during my licensing course and it was a blast.

CavTrooper

Observer
BMW's may be yuppie bikes and I don't contest that, but BMW motorcycles have been in existence since 1916 which equates to many years of research and design to create and well balanced motorcycle. Unfortunately, they know that and charge you accordingly!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier