First ever bike, very overwhelmed, leaning towards KLR650 or GS ???

So I'm tired of wanting a motorcycle and the wife tells me I need to find something for me to help with my stress. I have many hobbies, none of which seem to be helping. I've got a few hundred miles under my belt, so not many. I'll also be selling off the majority of my hobbies to fund this(and the wife's car will be paid off in January). I also really want a Harley but don't think that is going to be the best option for mild off road/trail/gravel/dirt/going to the lake for fishing(want something I can navigate around the lake,mostly dirt or clay) bike. So I figure the adventure bike route is the way to go, not to mention a lot closer to my budget. I'm not set on brand over the other. I'm also going to look for used, unless something really really good just falls in my lap but not counting on this. Below is a list of the bikes I'm considering. Any input you might have for a new/beginner rider would be appreciated. Or if you know of some good places to purchase gear for the bike like panniers, rack, etc. Thank you in advance for your input.

Kawasaki KLR 650
BMW GS 650
Honda XR 650L

Edit: I forgot to add that most will be on road riding. Also a of the guys I work with ride Harley's and Harley type road bikes, so being able to keep up with them on the weekend would be a plus. And one of the guys says he rides about 200 ish miles every weekend, so like a lot of riding could be in my future.

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
its a very difficult derision to make. a KLR is such a hard bike to beat for a jack of all trades. sounds like you be primarily on road with just some occasional pretty light off road?

KLR and GS are better options than XR and the unmentioned DR, also look into something like a DL650.

its a very difficult derision to make. a KLR is such a hard bike to beat for a jack of all trades. sounds like you be primarily on road with just some occasional pretty light off road?

KLR and GS are better options than XR and the unmentioned DR, also look into something like a DL650.

You are correct the majority will be on road, but I still want the ability to go off road if the situation presents itself.

I really like the GS series but I think the KLR is more my price range. But I don't plan on running out next week and getting something, got to sell some things off first.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
if nothing else, a KLR is a great entry into riding, you will eventually be looking for another bike as you feel out what it is you want over the course of riding. it might be a current generation KLR or it might something else entirely.

you will get as many opinions about it as there are choices, but you really cant go wrong with a KLR as a first bike.

Rhino, just looked up the DL650 you mentioned, I actually sat on one today at the Harley(they sell Suzuki) shop. It was very nice, it was black with black pannier boxes, but it was $10,000, obvisouly I'm looking for used so it won't be that much, but the Kawasaki dealer had a brand new 2012 KLR 650 in red for $6200 + TTL, for for that price I"m almost considering new just to get the factory warranty, and the piece of mind I will know how the bike has been treated.

depends on how you like to ride.

GS is like a cadillac escalade
XR is like a trophy truck
KLR is the poor man go anywhere land rover, that is my 2c

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
You are saying 200mile days? Often? Here is what I did:
I started out with a Yamaha XT600, put 25.000miles on it a year... first overhaul was due soon after $$$$$ Was cheaper to buy another new one, some thing put way too many miles on it!
Solution: Bought a two cylinder Yamaha xtz750 Super Tenere. Again, over 30.000 miles a year! But that engine lasted over 90.000 miles without overhaul. Yes, it's a heavy bike, but even with a passenger / luggage it had enough HP to get it going. Even did several long trips to Africa with it.
In other words: Anything one cylinder is great to start out but depending on your riding can cost you more in the long run. Also check out the running cost: Servicing rates at dealership, accessories after market parts....
Good luck!

No sorry for the confusion, they like to get 200 miles in a weekend.

I'll defiantly look into the service hour rates. I'd also like to look for some service manuals to learn done of the basics myself, maybe even take a local motorcycle mechanics class. It'd probably be worth the time and money in the long run.

As far as accessories go, I've seen a few websites from a google search, but are anyone have input on which ones might be better than the others, or which ones to just stay away from. Done input in this area would be greatly appreciated.

summerprophet

Adventurer
As you said most of the riding will actually be on road, the Kawasaki Versys might be an option.

More refined than the KLR, yet still retaining the geometry of a off road machine.

People either generally love it or hate it.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The challenge with that first bike is getting the bike that matches the riding you think you might enjoy. You may get a dual sport bike and find you dislike the dirt. Hard to say until you get some miles under your wheels. One thing I will say, if a bike doesn't really speak to you, don't buy it. Over the years I've owned many bikes. I bought a KLR years ago because it was "the practical choice." I seldom rode it. It was the perfect bike for my needs at the time, but ever time I threw my leg over it, I was wholly underwhelmed. I replaced it with another Ducati and was happy as a clam until.....my desires to get back on the dirt rolled around again. Don't let practicality steer you away from a bike that looks more fun to ride.

To that point, if all of your friends are HD riders, my guess is, about halfway through the summer, you'll long for an HD yourself.

Last edited:
summerprophet- just looked at the versys, that thing is nice and the price range is in my ballpark, the high side but still in ballpark, alot like the honda nc700x and the cb500x, both of which i really like. I had originally looked at but wasn't to sure how well the would do off road, not that I will be off road that often but I would like to have the option.

So with that said, would something in this style work ok for mild off road trips a year, stuff like maybe big bend park(only few hours from me), fire trail roads, going fishing at the lake(car sits way to low to take it)

flounder- I see what your saying, and don't get me wrong my any means, but a Harley would be my absolute first choice. But I know that the Harley will also limit myself to the riding I want(or think I want to do). I learned on a yamaha v star so I really like that style and feel, but I don't like the limitations. I really want to get out there and explore.

My thought is that I'll get something like the KLR to start, I've seen several used ones for $4k or less for 09+ models. I also figure if I really enjoy the off pavement stuff then I'll build it up to suit my needs. After that point I'll start saving for my Harley, then I'll be able to fill both needs, LOL.

I know one thing is for sure, I really miss riding, while I've not done a ton of riding, I've done enough to know I really enjoy it. And the fact that most of the guys I work with ride to work everyday isn't helping my case any that's for sure.

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The KLR is a great platform, no doubt. Same for the XR650L. One of my close friends just rode from Jackson Hole to Ushuaia on an XR650L he bought at a pawn shop. :) I had an XR650L about twelve years ago, and that might have been one of the more enjoyable bikes I've ever owned. Very capable off road. Plenty buzzy on the highway, though.

from my experience with the gs, is a excelente bike, but for my cost it was too high in the parts, some of my friends have xr 650 l and have ride the xr and is a real good bike on off road and not too hard to work on it, I own a klr for the past 7 year have done some hard rides on the klr 5 days in the sierra of chihuahua with no problems ( well one flat tire ) for me is a real easy bike to work on it, for parts, is eagle mike from utha http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/parts_frames.html

and is happy-trail http://www.happy-trail.com/

i like this forum from klr world a lot of information on the klr on how to farkle your bike

http://klrworld.com/forums/

you can chack ADV rider to is a lot of information
on GS
http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76

on thumpers klr and xrhttp://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

hope that whatever you get is the right decision on how would fit your needs.:sombrero:

jkam

nomadic man
Look at the less expensive versions of the DL650, they cost much less than the loaded version you sat on.
You sounded like you liked the feel of it, if so, they are great bikes and pretty cheap to keep.
Used ones can be had very reasonably and it is able to blow your Harley riding buddy's away on a twisty road.
It isn't as dirt worthy as the others but if you want to explore, the Wee Strom is a great way to do it.

codename607

Adventurer
I'm kinda in your same boat right now. For the past few weeks I've been looking at different types of bikes and so far the F800GS is at the top of my list. Although its a lot of money on my end I think it would be easy to sale if it came down to it. So that's a good thing for me if I get it and decide that its not for me.

On another note, you might want to check out insurance prices. At first I was looking at the NC700 but then it was out of my price range when I added everything up. The insurance would have kicked my but.

Also think about gas prices. Even though it's a bike some of them require unleaded, like the G650GS while others like the F800GS require super.

Good luck on your decision. And please keep us posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz