Expedition Rigs Encountered

dhackney

Expedition Leader

French couple.

These units are being imported by a guy in CO. Address/contact info is in the last shot.

2008-02-15-SD870%20IS-IMG_2193-crop.jpg

2008-02-15-SD870%20IS-IMG_2194-crop.jpg

2008-02-15-SD870%20IS-IMG_2195.jpg

2008-02-15-SD870%20IS-IMG_2196-crop.jpg

2008-02-15-SD870%20IS-IMG_2196-crop2.jpg

sorry for the quality of this one, it's a tiny crop

2008-02-15-SD870%20IS-IMG_2197-crop.jpg

2008-02-15-SD870%20IS-IMG_2198-crop.jpg

RHINO

Expedition Leader
so i'm curious about something not talked about much,,,, as an american, and a white guy how safe do you feel on average? i imagine it might be different in cities VS the countryside, care to comment?

FusoFG

Adventurer
Doug,

These are all the same kind of people and same variety of rigs you would have met had you traveled by sailboat around the world instead of by expedition camper.

A certain kind of person likes the nomadic lifestyle and they will do it in any kind of boat, camper, whatever that they can buy, rent, build, etc.

Hope you're not disappointed the sailboat thing didn't work out.

Tom

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Those guys in the tractor are nutz, but just the ones you hope will happen by if you get stuck!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Doug,

I love this thread.

:clapsmile

It really helps putting things in perspective and showing that if you really want to go travel, you can use pretty much anything.

We like to think that we need a Unimog U500 to drive around the world.

But the reality is that you can buy a Ford pickup truck and a truck camper off Craigslist and be on your way you tomorrow morning instead of spending the next 10 years trying to make enough money to buy the Unimog...

:)

Please keep the pictures coming!

egn

Adventurer
dhackney said:
Chassis: Mercedes Benz
Info: German couple on world trip, didn't get to speak to them directly.
History: Chassis may be a former fire vehicle. My wife speaks German and says the shield emblem refers to the fire department.

2008-02-01-SD870%20IS-IMG_1490.jpg

Here are another two images of this rig from last year in june at a world travelers meeting here in Germany. And yes, this was a fire brigade truck. They are really nice people.

Heidenheim_2007_05.JPG

Heidenheim_2007_06.JPG

Last edited:

egn

Adventurer
Some more images from the small Heidenheim World Traveler Meeting 2007:
Heidenheim_2007_01.JPG

Heidenheim_2007_02.JPG

Heidenheim_2007_03.JPG

Heidenheim_2007_04.JPG

Heidenheim_2007_07.JPG

Heidenheim_2007_08.JPG

Heidenheim_2007_09.JPG

Heidenheim_2007_10.JPG

Heidenheim_2007_11.JPG

Heidenheim_2007_12.JPG

Last edited:

egn

Adventurer
Heidenheim, Germany 2005:
This is a very special camper. They came at night and the lights just looked like a UFO is landing. :sombrero:

Heidenheim_2005_01.JPG

Heidenheim_2005_03.JPG

Heidenheim_2005_04.JPG

Heidenheim_2005_05.JPG

Last edited:

egn

Adventurer
Heidenheim, Germany 2005 and the last one is from the largest Offroad-Show in Europe "Abenteuer Allrad, Bad Kissingen":
Heidenheim_2004_10.JPG

Heidenheim_2007_11.JPG

Heidenheim_2007_12.JPG

Bad_Kissingen_2007.JPG

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
2aroundtheworld said:
Doug,

I love this thread.

:clapsmile

It really helps putting things in perspective and showing that if you really want to go travel, you can use pretty much anything.

Please keep the pictures coming!

:iagree: Well said.

This is my new favorite thread. So much eye candy and inspiration....

dhackney

Expedition Leader
RHINO said:
so i'm curious about something not talked about much,,,, as an american, and a white guy how safe do you feel on average? i imagine it might be different in cities VS the countryside, care to comment?

We've been all over the world on and in vehicles and boats with U.S. plates and flying the U.S. flag. We've been in the Middle East, along the Iraqi border while the war raged.

We've been in places where just about everyone in America, especially the media, would tell you to never go, and if you did, you'd never come out alive.

We've been treated with the utmost courtesy, hospitality and welcome everywhere.

Outside of Western Europe, where they use it as a tactic to unify the historically animostity riven tribes, the people of the world do not hate America or Americans. That is the biggest lie perpetrated on the American public in the history of the country.

The world and its people are almost exactly 180 degrees opposite of how U.S. and European media portray them.

For more on the topic of fear and danger, click here: http://www.hackneys.com/travel/index-danger.htm

dhackney

Expedition Leader
FusoFG said:
Doug,

These are all the same kind of people and same variety of rigs you would have met had you traveled by sailboat around the world instead of by expedition camper.

A certain kind of person likes the nomadic lifestyle and they will do it in any kind of boat, camper, whatever that they can buy, rent, build, etc.

Hope you're not disappointed the sailboat thing didn't work out.

Tom

Tom,

Agreed on the type of people and the variety of platforms.

RE: disappointment

We rode down to the Ushuaia Yacht Club this morning.

We parked to take some shots across the harbor of the city with the snow peaked mountains beyond.

I walked down the dock to the transient berths, where the sailboats were lined up double lashed, and stopped to take a shot of a French boat, typically unpainted aluminum. Rear cockpit sloop, double head sail, great cockpit protection, fully rigged for a circumnavigation.

I looked at it a long time, than scanned the other boats.

I was halfway down the dock. What lie before me was a feast of blue water sailing, fully proven, fully tested, boats and crews. All had reached a highly respected goal, and many were fresh from or headed for the roughest water and toughest sailing in the world, Cape Horn.

I turned and walked away and left the boats behind me. They were that dream, the sailing dream, and that is not what this chapter turned out to be for me.

Maybe next time.

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online