The Forgotten Continent Expedition

dhackney

Expedition Leader
An unfortunate aspect of the situation we're currently in is that I can't yet publicly thank all the people who helped us during this process, including some people here at ExPo.

From the very first, terrifying hours until the final days before the Fuso hit the docks, a few Expo members played key roles in this adventure. Our unspoken, unspeakable (at this point) thanks go out to them. They know who they are and they will not be forgotten.

Another unfortunate aspect of this situation is that I needed to avoid ExPo for the last four months. We have a lot of friends here, especially after the Overland Expo. Every time someone would ask an innocent question, such as, "When will the Fuso be back?" or "Where is the Fuso?" we would be forced to not tell the entire truth. Our responses of "We're told it will be a couple more weeks," and "Still in South America," were technically accurate, but not the full truth. It was challenging to not be able to tell the entire truth and it was even more challenging to face those innocent questions from friends again and again. Rather than subject myself to it, I had to avoid ExPo for a while.

So, sorry for not being able to tell the whole story, then and now; and sorry for not being around much the last four months.

xpdishn

Adventurer
Amazing story. WOW. Sure glad everything, at least so far, has turned out OK. I'm assuming you're clear with our various police agencies?

Met you two at the Overland Expo and throughly enjoyed our dinner conversation. To be going through all this at that time - I'm speechless. Sure hope you can make it back for next years Expo.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Amazing story. WOW. Sure glad everything, at least so far, has turned out OK.

So far, so good. It is looking more and more like we disrupted somebody's contraband operation. As long as we keep waking up alive, all is well.

I'm assuming you're clear with our various police agencies?

We made contact with all relevant US and state agencies as soon as we got back into the states and there was still a possibility that the truck was going to get imported by the cartel that took it. We also contacted the US agencies again prior to the truck's arrival after we took it back from the cartel and were shipping it home.

We avoided the agencies in Colombia as we felt, and were told by various sources, that if we got them involved we'd never see the truck or its contents again.

Met you two at the Overland Expo and thoroughly enjoyed our dinner conversation. To be going through all this at that time - I'm speechless.

I'm not going to lie to you, it was extremely challenging to be at the Expo, presenting and interacting with friends new and old. We were still early enough into things that we were just past the stage of hiding out from our families for fear of endangering them. We were just becoming aware of the reality, now confirmed, that the people who took the truck were cocaine smugglers. We were still somewhat concerned about our safety and completely unable to communicate about what had happened to us and what was happening at the time.

It was pretty ironic to be standing there giving a presentation titled "43 Countries: Lessons Learned" and not be able to address the lessons we were going through that at the time. Very challenging times.

I've given keynote speeches all over the world while very sick, bleeding, under incredible stress and in the midst of family emergencies. Giving those Expo presentations in the midst of what we were living through ranks right up there.

Sure hope you can make it back for next years Expo.

If you pass that feeling on to the organizers, perhaps we may have the opportunity.

I don't know how many people would show up for a presentation titled "An Overlander's Guide to Stealing Your Truck Back from a Cocaine Cartel." What do you think? :)

xpdishn

Adventurer
So far, so good. It is looking more and more like we disrupted somebody's contraband operation. As long as we keep waking up alive, all is well.

We made contact with all relevant US and state agencies as soon as we got back into the states and there was still a possibility that the truck was going to get imported by the cartel that took it. We also contacted the US agencies again prior to the truck's arrival after we took it back from the cartel and were shipping it home.

We avoided the agencies in Colombia as we felt, and were told by various sources, that if we got them involved we'd never see the truck or its contents again.

I'm not going to lie to you, it was extremely challenging to be at the Expo, presenting and interacting with friends new and old. We were still early enough into things that we were just past the stage of hiding out from our families for fear of endangering them. We were just becoming aware of the reality, now confirmed, that the people who took the truck were cocaine smugglers. We were still somewhat concerned about our safety and completely unable to communicate about what had happened to us and what was happening at the time.

It was pretty ironic to be standing there giving a presentation titled "43 Countries: Lessons Learned" and not be able to address the lessons we were going through that at the time. Very challenging times.

I've given keynote speeches all over the world while very sick, bleeding, under incredible stress and in the midst of family emergencies. Giving those Expo presentations in the midst of what we were living through ranks right up there.

If you pass that feeling on to the organizers, perhaps we may have the opportunity.

I don't know how many people would show up for a presentation titled "An Overlander's Guide to Stealing Your Truck Back from a Cocaine Cartel." What do you think? :)

I am going to pass my thoughts to the organizers.

And I predict that if you two gave the above presentation, it would be standing room only.

Not to make light of your situation, but with your writing skills, a screenplay would be in order. But your story may be too unbelievable to sell.

BTW, what are your plans for your next expedition vehicle?

You two take care.

Gary

dhackney

Expedition Leader
I am going to pass my thoughts to the organizers.

And I predict that if you two gave the above presentation, it would be standing room only.

It is possible that by then we'd be able to tell more of the story. At this point, I can only share a few percent of what happened and what is currently happening.

Not to make light of your situation, but with your writing skills, a screenplay would be in order. But your story may be too unbelievable to sell.

I'm with you on this one. I think we'd get laughed out of Hollywood; they'd never believe it. Believe me, truth is stranger than fiction on this one.

But seriously, it's a hard road to sell your story. Our friend, Glen Heggstad, has put a tremendous amount of work and energy into getting his stories out there. And compared to his kidnapping in Colombia and subsequent escape, we got off very, very easy.

BTW, what are your plans for your next expedition vehicle?

Our alternatives as we see them are:
1. Sell the Fuso as-is.
2. Replace the rear frame section and the payload suspension system and sell the Fuso as-then.
3. Replace the rear frame section and the payload suspension system and keep the Fuso.
4. Avoid the whole thing for a while and do our traveling on the bike.

Because we've had significant changes in the three primary variables that enabled this window of opportunity to travel: health of parents, grandchildren (another on the way), and finances (worldwide financial collapse and theft of our truck), our near- to mid-term future travel will probably be limited to multiple weeks or a few months at a time.

Given those short time slots, for overseas work, the bike is much more practical than the truck.

We're a lot more interested in seeing more of the developing world than North America at this stage of our lives (still young and healthy enough to do it), so having the Fuso planted here in the U.S. is not so attractive. Storing it overseas for extended periods between travel can be challenging unless we establish residency somewhere.

On the upside, we completely emptied the truck and now it's plenty quick enough for U.S. interstates.

If we keep the Fuso in the U.S., I'll probably go get our disaster relief equipment from where we have it pre-staged and set the truck up for Hurricane relief work.

We'll have to see how things sort out.

Momrocks

Adventurer
If we keep the Fuso in the U.S., I'll probably go get our disaster relief equipment from where we have it pre-staged and set the truck up for Hurricane relief work.

Speaking as a resident of the Gulf Coast, I'd much rather encounter the Fuso as our travels intersect than the proposed mission of Hurricane relief rig.

Quite a story you have. Best of luck sorting everything out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles