1985 Mercedes SWB 300GD for sale

Matthew.Horvat

http://flic.kr/ps/2dQthr

Call 503 three three three nineteen sixty six for more information. Sale price: $23,500.

City-tough gwagen for sale. This G was "found" a couple of years ago here in Portland and has since had a lot of work done with the running gear. Since 2010 when I purchased it I've done interior/exterior body work with a new paint job and some accessories. Below is a detailed list of recent upgrades:

1. 617A diesel engine from a 1985 300SD California Edition. The car was broadsided and had ~125,000 miles on it. The intent was to keep as much of the SD's engine supporting pieces in tact (radiator, etc). At the time of the swap out there was a recent adjustment of the valves done on this motor. I have put about 5,000 miles on it since the new motor.
2. Tires -- 2005
3. Exhaust system replacement -- 2008
4. Driveline straighten and balance -- 2008
5. Transmission rebuild -- 2008
6. Wheel bearing kit front -- 2009
7. Flush and patch fuel tank -- 2012
8. Paint job (MB Onyx Gray color 721) including replacing passenger and driver foot floor boards, rhino liner interior base -- 2012. There is now zero rust on this vehicle. $10.7k
9. Front brake caliper rebuild -- 2012
10. Dual RedTop battery installation with wench -- 2012. $3k
11. Trailer lights setup (us version)

Included are the wench, the original vinyl carpets (now replaced with Rhino Liner), a stainless steel brush guard (painted black) and a pair of Recaro seats with all needed hardware for installation.

VIN: 46023217034227
100_4268.JPG100_4255.JPG100_4249.JPG

Last edited:

R-Overland

Adventurer
Is that the kind of car I can expect for 15grand, I thought it looks kinda rough , no offense.

Dual RedTop battery installation with wench -- 2012. $3k
you paid 3k to have a battery installed? I must have gotten this wrong.

Last edited:

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I like that it is a "wench". So the g/f comes with the Jeep? For that kinda money, she better be Italian and not German. :sombrero:

Just kidding, but seriously the price is a bit high for the machine even though I'd love to have it.

Matthew.Horvat

Winch cost breakdown

Is that the kind of car I can expect for 15grand, I thought it looks kinda rough , no offense.

None taken. I'll find the right price eventually. Just about to retitle it appropriately and lower by $1,000.

Dual RedTop battery installation with wench -- 2012. $3k
you paid 3k to have a battery installed? I must have gotten this wrong.

Here's how the costs breakdown:

Winch: $1,000
Mount plate: $500
Batteries: $300
Cables, terminations, switching, relay + installation: $400
Fabrication of new battery box plate to house additional battery: $200

The rest to get to $3k was, as I feel about it, my time. As you can see this is all a sunk cost so it's pointless commentary, but that is how it was. You were not mistaken.

artiei

Observer
Nope - it is a scam. The car is not for sale. I'm almost done getting it where I want it to be, so you would need to pry it from my cold, dead hands!

Last edited:

otiswesty

Regular guy
Wow, awesome job on that former 280GE.
I remember seeing it a couple of owners ago when it was first getting fixed up and converted to diesel.

Terrawagen

That was my first G! I rescued it from behind a detail shop here in Portland. It was covered by blackberry vines and very neglected. The original owner had purchased it off of eBay and had it shipped to Portland from Alabama. There was a problem getting the title from the eBay seller, so it sat for a long time. When I first saw the G I told myself, that it had to at least start for me to make an offer on it. Well, it did start. I still wasn't 100% sure, so I said if it drives and stops I'll buy it. Sure enough it drove very well, and soon I was on my way home with it. I managed to get a title for it, cleaned it up and drove it with the gas engine for about a year. I did the OM617 turbo swap and had the transmission rebuilt by the guys in Burbank ( Sunvalley ). I painted it in military colors and drove it for another couple of years before I got the Unimog bug. I sold it to Matt and he finished it off as you see it today.
This is it with the gas motor:

This is after the diesel swap and the camo paint at NorthWest Mogfest 2010

Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94