Best tablets for navigation?

Cole

Expedition Leader
I need a good app to test this with. As I mentioned before I have both 2 iPads I carry with me everywhere, both cellular but only one with a data plan.

JimBiram

Adventurer
iPads don't need a data plan to use the GPS...but the IPad must be 4g capable, as the wifi only iPads do not have a GPS inside and can only work with a separate GPS like a Dual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

logoris

Go with an android like the nexus 7 you can get on card maps no data needed just uses gps coords to position you. You can also get an external gps device and conect with blue tooth if you need better coverage. I believe if its rooted you can plug in a usb gps device.

Currently i use my phone galaxy note 1 with the navigation free app. It has all on board maps. Its accurate to about 50m just with the internal gps

Sent from my SGH-I717M using Tapatalk 2

Cole

Expedition Leader
iPads don't need a data plan to use the GPS...but the IPad must be 4g capable, as the wifi only iPads do not have a GPS inside and can only work with a separate GPS like a Dual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do any of you read before just jumping to a post?

Seriously? Yet another fail of a post.

RobRed

Explorer
Originally Posted by JimBiram

Do any of you read before just jumping to a post?

Seriously? Yet another fail of a post.

Though not the clearest explanation above - it's essentially correct. What's your issue?

Cole

Expedition Leader
Originally Posted by JimBiram

Though not the clearest explanation above - it's essentially correct. What's your issue?

Because it's not the answer to the question that was presented.

Several people have jumped in now to spout out that cellular iPads have GPS, wifi ones don't, and you don't need a data plan to use GPS. I even put that information in the thread at the very beginning of the thread.

So, if anyone that has quoted me had read the thread. First they would find that they are presenting information that I have presented myself. Second, they would see that by reading the posts they are taking the quotes from they would see that they are not even on topic with their answers.

The question was "does the data assisted part of the aGPS still assist in finding location even without a data plan?" . And....From the testing I've done so far with two cellular iPads, one with a data plan and one without a data plan they seem to acquire a location lock at about the same speed. Because........both iPads find and lock onto the cell towers even though one doesn't have a paid data plan!!

Last edited:

RobRed

Explorer
Cole,

These threads evolve and folks add to them at various points, sometimes with redundant information. You know this. Heck if we really want to pick on it the OP asked "I'm trying to find the best tablet... stand alone GPS navigation, photo review and basic editing, light internet surfing, etc... I've got a budget of $500 or less with accessories."

Your test is valid BTW. However your circumstance may not have needed the aGPS.

aGPS devices use available location references from WiFi and/or cellular networks to assist the GPS chipset in it's location duties (triangulation, almanac etc). This is particularly helpful in areas that have a heavy canopy like city centers. This capability can speed up initial position lock but that's not given in all cases. This functionality does not require subscriber information (ie Data Plan) to function, only that the cellular or Wifi radio's be active.

Last edited:

Cole

Expedition Leader
Cole,

These threads evolve and folks add to them at various points, sometimes with redundant information.

Redundant info I understand. Especially in long threads where people might have missed/skipped it.

But to directly quote someone and throw out a canned answer that isn't an answer to the question just shows that you were so caught up in posting that you didn't take the time to actually read the post.

These are the same people that cut you off when you are talking because they think they have an answer even though they haven't heard your question yet. Its lazy, rude, self centered.

Your test is valid BTW. However your circumstance may not have needed the aGPS.

aGPS devices use available location references from WiFi and/or cellular networks to assist the GPS chipset in it's location duties (triangulation, almanac etc). This is particularly helpful in areas that have a heavy canopy like city centers. This capability can speed up initial position lock but that's not given in all cases. This functionality does not require subscriber information (ie Data Plan) to function, only that the cellular or Wifi radio's be active.

The limited tested I did I shut off the wifi fwiw.

The while point of this was to the OPs idea (and several others) that he would use a device without a dedicated GPS and use an external one. Where if you are getting a benefit from the built in aGPS it would be better to have a device with built in GPS vs an external one.

Nitinat

Adventurer
I have had Nexus 7 now for over a month and have been very satisfied. Looks like a great product for navigation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier