$40 BaoFeng UV-5R Dual-Band Handhelds

sxharr05

Adventurer
Just placed my order. Looking forward to getting back on the air, and this looks to be a cost-effective way to do it. Plus, it'll come in handy on the hikes with the kids.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I am new to HAM. Did pass two tests one day in March. KK4PVJ. Bought the UV-5RA as a low cost way into the hobby. Still learning. In my area, there is one regular use repeater 146.970, little to no 440 talk. I'm told my transmissions are clear. The antenna is about 4- 5 miles from my house, flat topography. I talk from inside my house using the additional "$4" antenna.
I'm still working on programming using CHIRP. I do listen (but NOT talk) on Marine 16, and monitor NOAA which are programmed in.

I've got a friend that bought two before I met him, and a co-worker that bought 1 after I told him about it. Just went to an ARC meeting. Many have Wouxan and Baofeng. Many have some higher dollar stuff too.

In summary, if I had it to do over, I would buy the Baofeng again. Yes, I do have more $$ in accessories than the radio coast. Isn't that like a lot of hobbies?I will buy a more expensive radio in the future, probably a mobile dual band.

HTH

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Plus, it'll come in handy on the hikes with the kids.

Why not use FRS/GMRS for uses like that, so they can transmit too?

I like the usefulness of HAM in certain situations, but it's kind of a concern of mine that EVERYONE is using it for the most commonplace things...HAM seems overkill for a hike with the kiddos. Like building a $50k expo rig to drive a fire road, or driving a Veyron only on city streets with a speed limit of 30. ;)

madmax718

Explorer
cant beat the price performance ratio. I bought it to get into ham. Otherwise.. I don't think I would have. Got the AAA pack instead of the AA for the form factor. Cheaper pack as well. (8 bucks?) then got the 12V adapter for the charging base. Now I can charge in the field.

jcdespaux

Jcdespaux
Whats the range for something like this? looking for comm to my brothers house without phone or cell use, hes about 8 to 10 miles away

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Whats the range for something like this? looking for comm to my brothers house without phone or cell use, hes about 8 to 10 miles away

I'm sure the experts can give you more info, but radio waves travel 'line of sight' (with some propagation), so if there is a hill/mountain, forests, etc between you and your brother, not much luck. Of course repeater(s) can solve that problem.
Remember these require an FCC Ham license to transmit on, and they are un-secure (anyone can listen to your conversation).

4x4junkie

Explorer
8-10 miles should be possible line of sight if you both are standing outside, but from inside a house or within building I wouldn't count on it being reliable unless you were to mount an external base antenna on the roof, then it should be no problem.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
I got my 'baby radio' yesterday and programmed it tonight using CHIRP. Pretty easy to program, cool (and gimmicky) features like LED flashlight and FM radio. Pretty easy to use and I can hit 2M and 440 repeaters about 8 miles away from indoors. Not a bad radio for $40, though I'm not sure I'd trust my life to it (I.e. carry the Yaesu and put the 'baby' in the backpack/survival kit).

Thanks for the heads up on the deal.

jcdespaux

Jcdespaux
Thanks for the info, i may jus go ahead with the yaesu for the tundra, got my lift coming in soon anyway, good excuse to get some electronics also

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Line of sight for VHF (called mutual co-horizon) is roughly 7 miles if both are at ground level on flat terrain. Height over the deck significantly impact range. Walking up a 100 foot hill doubles your range and heading up a skyscraper or climbing a mountain can get you 100 miles or more.

brushogger

Explorer
Just received mine a couple of days ago. Easy to program with Chirp. I'm ordering a higher gain antenna today. I think that will be a huge improvement. The battery life is exceptional.

sxharr05

Adventurer
More for listening/scanning and whatnot. At their ages they aren't going off on their own. My son enjoys listening to it and the cb, see where the "other end is coming from". At some point soon I'll see if he wants to try the test, get his own rig. Maybe I could use FRS/GMRS radios for the hikes/trips. But, I ain't got none. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles