$40 BaoFeng UV-5R Dual-Band Handhelds

Frank

Explorer
I know the feeling. Mine is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday, shipping from Arizona. There are about 5 guys at work who have these (who conned me into getting one) and tell me they have a data cable floating around for doing the software loading. All of them praised the radio.

Im really looking forward to this radio. Its my first civilian HAM radio.

Javelinadave

Adventurer
Same here. This just might be the little radio that motivates me to finally get my ticket.

Buy Gordon West's book Amazon Link or buy one of the many apps for your IPad, Android Tablet, etc. It's pretty easy stuff to learn/memorize. You need to answer 26 out of 35 correctly and boom, you are on the air. There are enough guys here that can answer any questions you have or help you along with equipment purchases, setup or problems you might run into.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
I've been reading and it seems there's a right and a wrong programming cable to get for these. I should buy one with the TDFI chipset in it, correct? One of the programming cables make for Kenwood or Yaesu, one of the better radios?

I'm running Windows Vista on the home computer, (where I'll be programming it). Can you guys drop me a link or two for the correct cable I need, please? All I can find are the cheap ones on Amazon.

Thanks.

The correct programming cable cost more than half the radio. I got mine off Amazon for about 26$ if I can find it again I'll post it up here.

brushogger

Explorer
I bought mine as part of the package. The radio cable and extra battery for $59.95

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
I've been reading and it seems there's a right and a wrong programming cable to get for these. I should buy one with the TDFI chipset in it, correct? One of the programming cables make for Kenwood or Yaesu, one of the better radios?

I'm running Windows Vista on the home computer, (where I'll be programming it). Can you guys drop me a link or two for the correct cable I need, please? All I can find are the cheap ones on Amazon.

Thanks.

I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R21P7Q/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_2

It is simply a USB to RS-232 convertor. The only chipset issue is whether your PC/Mac OS has a driver to support the chipset (mine installed it automatically - didn't have to search for a driver) - the chipset is not radio-dependent (or vice-versa), it is PC OS dependent. As far as compatibility with the radio, the only issue there would be wiring, and these radio seem to have a standardized (or somewhat) wiring method for the serial interface (using the audio connectors).

I used the CHIRP software (free download) and the only issues I had were 1) make sure the plug on the radio is pushed all the way in and 2) sometimes I had to restart the software in order to make sure the radio would sync up and transfer the data. The CHIRP software just opens a serial (RS-232) port and downloads the data using that port.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Oh, ok, so it's like plugging in any other peripheral to your pc, you just let it search the web for the needed drivers. If it doesn't find 'em, then you have to worry about downloading them somewhere, like the site posted above.

After reading a lot of the reviews on Amazon for these cables posted here, I'm a little leary. Overheating at the USB end. Trimming needed at the radio end.

*Edit*

It seems the problem is the Prolific chip. Knock-off cables have a copy of an old chip, and Prolific continually updates it's drivers, so if your computer automatically updates, it can render your knock-off cable useless.

Where can I buy a cable with a real Prolific chip in it, to avoid this?

Last edited:

fratermus

FT boondocker
It is simply a USB to RS-232 convertor. The only chipset issue is whether your PC/Mac OS has a driver to support the chipset (mine installed it automatically - didn't have to search for a driver) - the chipset is not radio-dependent (or vice-versa), it is PC OS dependent.

potentential issue: the cable that ships with the radio has/ had a knockoff (Prolific? ) chip in it. This can cause problems for windoze folk as the OS uses a driver that checks for fakes. The solution is to provide a driver manually. Details in the chirp faq.

from tapatalk (Galaxy Note 2)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles