$40 BaoFeng UV-5R Dual-Band Handhelds

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
ive had mine going on four years now and they have served me well. i was thinking about getting a couple more. i also bought a couple of mobiles a 50w tyt 9800 quad band. its worked well. also got a 25w qyt 8900d it works good but is a pain to program. it software is ok to program from a pc but manual programming is what sucks.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Mine showed up the other day. I don't have a license yet, so I'm limited in my testing of it.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Some cool stuff to keep you busy

Mine showed up the other day. I don't have a license yet, so I'm limited in my testing of it.

This is a great opportunity to do some programming, if you haven't already started.
I like Chirp, as it will work across multiple radios.
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home
I also downloaded the Repeater Book app, for quick finds while out exploring.
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zbm2.repeaterbook&hl=en
i-Phone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/repeaterbook/id606820166?mt=8
So if you have a bit of time, this might be some fun to get you started, while waiting on the license to come in. :beer:

AdidasCJ

Observer
Add me to the list of Baofeng owners. Got 2 UV-5R for 16.99ea from Amazon. I am currently working on the study it takes to get my HAM license. Also looking at mounts for the Jeep.

Hnoroian

Observer
Add me to the list of Baofeng owners. Got 2 UV-5R for 16.99ea from Amazon. I am currently working on the study it takes to get my HAM license. Also looking at mounts for the Jeep.

I'd like to get two more for a total of 4, but can't find it. Do you have a link?

AdidasCJ

Observer
I'd like to get two more for a total of 4, but can't find it. Do you have a link?

It was a couple weeks ago, I use vipon.com Gave me a 50% off code to use on amazon. Keep a look out on vipon, they are always posting different codes for 50% off things. Hell I even used it to pick up a couple sleeping bags for 9.99ea.

Hnoroian

Observer
It was a couple weeks ago, I use vipon.com Gave me a 50% off code to use on amazon. Keep a look out on vipon, they are always posting different codes for 50% off things. Hell I even used it to pick up a couple sleeping bags for 9.99ea.

Right on, thanks neighbor

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Vipon.com has the UV-5r back on it. Black, red or camo. 17.49ea.

https://www.vipon.com/product/4206424?from=index_0

Don't know how well that link wants to work... but if not, goto www.vipon.com. search Baofeng. You do have to register with them to get the code.

In my experience with vipon codes and Amazon, is you can you the code once per amazon account.

So cool thanks for the link. You can get one of each color using the codes from each one. I got two on the way. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AdidasCJ

Observer
So cool thanks for the link. You can get one of each color using the codes from each one. I got two on the way. Thanks again.

The code should work for how ever many you put in your cart and is applied to the entire order of Baofengs.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
The code should work for how ever many you put in your cart and is applied to the entire order of Baofengs.

Damn lol. Too late. I really only wanted one more as a spare but now I have two spares lol.

Bah, I can't believe I just ordered 4 of those radios due to that coupon code. After swearing up and down I would never order a BaoFeng. Can't go wrong for $70

craig333

Expedition Leader
Owning an FT-60r I didn't see a need to get a baofeng. However seeing one for 35 bucks I decided why not (uv82hp). I was surprised at what appears to be a pretty well built radio. Easy to program with chirp. The manual was a complete surprise. Not just a translation from chinese, they must have hired a native english speaker. I can see these getting used illegally a lot. Paraphrasing but the manual says you can use it for frs, gmrs etc but don't, its not legal. Like that's going to stop many people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles