The 2006 KTM 640 Adventure Build

Clutch

<---Pass
MuddyMudskipper said:
Probably to drive us nuts. The street stuff is a WHOLE different story. If I had my druthers I'd own sooooo many vehicles.

My list is loooong....come on Lottery!....many jobs at hand, many right tools for the jobs...;)

I don't know how many KTM owners are on here, but, I get posters from them showing me all of their bikes and specs. I put it up on a wall and circle the ones I want....maybe Santa, will drop a couple off next year.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Kinda pissed right now. I was working on Part II and decided to take a small detour and look at steering dampers. Windows shut down because it couldn't load a picture on the Scott's site.:eek:

Tomorrow's another day.:(

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Very nice bike Richard!

I am curious to see what it looks like with the cases attached...

Looking forward to part 2!

:rockon:

Clutch

<---Pass
MuddyMudskipper said:
Kinda pissed right now. I was working on Part II and decided to take a small detour and look at steering dampers. Windows shut down because it couldn't load a picture on the Scott's site.:eek:

Tomorrow's another day.:(

I run a Scotts, had it for 5 years, I swap it from bike to bike. High and low speed dampening, plus you can adjust the sweep. What part of the steering arc where you need the most or littlest dampening.

You may want to check RTT, they are incorporated into the top triple clamp, then has a remote lever to adjust the dampening, great set up, the only thing, since it is bike specific, you can't swap it bike to bike. (easily)

clamp1.jpg

Last edited:

flux

Observer
Yeah, the engine won't vibrate apart, but I have had my bash plate about vibrate itself off...luckily we caught it in time...was hanging on by one bolt!!! My advice is to carry some loctite in your kit.

I have a Scotts damper and love it. I know it has saved my @$$ more than once.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Scott's Steering Damper

Yeah the Scott's parts seem to be the damper of choice for all of my MX buddies. The one thing that I really don't like is going through soft sand when I'm riding. I do believe in the "lean back and pin it" philosophy of riding in sand but it just feels so wobbly and funky. Anyways from what I've been told is that the steering damper will not only make overall riding a little less work, it will make the bike a whole lot less work in tha sand.

I have had friends offer to let me ride their bikes to see the difference but I really don't like to ride other people's stuff.

Clutch

<---Pass
It does help quite a bit in sand...rocks especially. But, proper suspension setup is the starting point, then ad a stabilizer to enhance it even further.

Sand is best to be "surfed".

I forget the stabilizer is even there...only when I pull it off, I notice the difference.

GPR's are nice too.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Kermit said:
It does help quite a bit in sand...rocks especially. But, proper suspension setup is the starting point, then ad a stabilizer to enhance it even further.

Sand is best to be "surfed".

I forget the stabilizer is even there...only when I pull it off, I notice the difference.

GPR's are nice too.

That's what I hear.

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Part II

Part II: Cheap and Easy

Like the title says, this is where I’m going to cover the basic cheap and easy modifications I have made to the 640 thusfar.

Footpegs

8.jpg

I took the rubber foot pads off of the footpegs so I can get a better grip with my boots. My guess is that they are there for comfort and vibration but I would hate to have them on there in any kind of rain, mud, or snow.

9.jpg

The pads were held on by a 10mm self locking nut.

Headlight Protection

The next modification I did was but the Touratech headlight protector. It’s a complete kit that doesn’t require any drilling and only hand tools. I had looked at other alternatives from Cycleventure or the clear rubber light protector that you stick on. I didn't choose these since once water and mud got behind them they couldn't be easily cleaned (especially on the go).

7.jpg

IMO they look kind of silly like Elvis glasses but for $49 it has to be cheaper than replacing the DE headlight assembly on the 640.

Touratech Headlight Protector Part Number: 040-0382

Handlebars and Grips

Next up were the handlebars. The 640 came with the Magura X-Line bars from the factory which were kind of low for my taste. Rather than add bar risers I went with the slightly taller Renthal Fatbar. I also swapped the factory grips for a pair of Renthal Full-Waffle Single Compound soft grips.

30.jpg

KTM Part Number: U6951.392
Renthal Part Number: 608-01OR
Grips: GO92

Throttle Side Mirror Relocate

The Right mirror on many of the KTM bikes are installed onto the handlebar via an integrated mount on the brake fluid reservoir.

4060497-M.jpg

This does save bar space but it can be a problem in the event you crash. I have heard stories of the mount breaking so bad it cracks the reservoir causing fluid to leak rendering the brakes inoperable. Not fun if you’re in the middle of nowhere.

Rather than wait for this to happen I decided to relocate the mirror using the mount for a Duke II. About $8 for the mount and way cheaper than replacing a busted reservoir.

32.jpg

I wanted to clean the look of the reservoir up so I cut the OE mounting hole off with a cut off wheel, smoothed the cut with a file and some sand paper, and painted it.

31.jpg

Duke II Mirror Mount Part Number: 580.12.040.050

Here's the whole set-up with the bars, grips and mirror relocate.

33.jpg

Joe Hauler

Not a bike mod, not a truck mod.

Joe Hauler Review

DSCN3767-1.jpg

That's all for the cheap and easy stuff. I'll keep Part II updated as more cheap and easy modifications materialize.

Last edited:

flux

Observer
The thing with sand riding is that you simply can't go slow. Forget first gear even exists. Forget your front brake exists while you're at it. If you can keep it in 2nd and even 3rd gear you'll be going quick enough to stay on top of the sand...lower speeds you'll just sink, front tire first, and down you go. Like Kermit said, you have to 'surf' it. That is a good description. Hold the bars firm yet loose if that makes sense, lean back, and control steering with your knees and hips. At least, that's my method and I'm sticking to it. I only ride sand like twice a year when we head to Ocala but I love it every time.

As for dampers...have you guys seen a few new bikes are starting to come with them stock. One of the new Honda dirtbikes (a CRF I think) and even the new Suzuki B King come with them...funky looking dampers, too.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
flux said:
Those orange bars really pop!

Funny you should mention that. I was actually wanting the black bars which you can get if you use the Renthal part number. The dealer only had the KTM part number which happen to only come in orange. Not my first choice but whatever, they're more comfy than the Magura bars.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
flux said:
I only ride sand like twice a year when we head to Ocala but I love it every time.

I wish that was the case, every trail in AZ has a "bit" of sand in it...I get lotsa practice. While you don't have to WOT, it sure does help.

A "little" sand...:D http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3091689380093498191

Muddy, these help with vibration too. They're a little too fat for my taste. I like half waffles...hey everyone is different.

I am sure you have paid a visit or two to KTMTalk...loads of info on there.

5-13-03a%20012.jpg

My mirrors...sure, they are "legal"...I am a less is more kinda guy...they work sorta.

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Kermit said:
I wish that was the case, every trail in AZ has a "bit" of sand in it...I get lotsa practice. While you don't have to WOT, it sure does help.

A "little" sand...:D http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3091689380093498191

Where I live every trail has a little sand in it too so I can practice whenever I want.

Kermit said:
Muddy, these help with vibration too. They're a little too fat for my taste. I like half waffles...hey everyone is different.

Sweet. I have big hands so I when the Renthals I have go away I'll give them a try.

Kermit said:
I am sure you have paid a visit or two to KTMTalk...loads of info on there.

I have been there but I don't go visit there as often as I visit ExPo, LRRForums, VWVortex, D-Web, or ADVRider. I tried registering once but you can't with a free email address so I never bothered again.

Kermit said:
My mirrors...sure, they are "legal"...I am a less is more kinda guy...they work sorta.

Nice. I would like to use smaller mirrors for mine but until I find something I really like I'll keep the Mickey Mouse ears. Duke mirrors perhaps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz