The 2006 KTM 640 Adventure Build

Clutch

<---Pass
I had the same problem with KTMTalk, with the free e-mail thing. I e-mailed them personally, and they let me in. If you still have problems, let me know. I can talk to one of the Admins....it really is a wealth of information.

I am on ADV Rider too, I just don't post very much...almost too many people on there. I just read the ride reports and day dream.

Yeah, those mirrors are just enough to keep my 300 street legal. I like keeping that bike lean. They don't really work, just enough not to get a ticket.

Even with big mirrors they vibrate so much offroad, they are worthless.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Kermit said:
I had the same problem with KTMTalk, with the free e-mail thing. I e-mailed them personally, and they let me in. If you still have problems, let me know. I can talk to one of the Admins....it really is a wealth of information.

I just sent an email off to Admin to plead my case. I'll keep you posted.

Kermit said:
I am on ADV Rider too, I just don't post very much...almost too many people on there. I just read the ride reports and day dream.

That's pretty much what I do. That board is so MASSIVE it is easy to get lost in just one thread.
I thought I recognized your name.

Kermit said:
Yeah, those mirrors are just enough to keep my 300 street legal. I like keeping that bike lean. They don't really work, just enough not to get a ticket.

Even with big mirrors they vibrate so much offroad, they are worthless.

My big mirrors suck. I get a great view of each of my shoulders. I'm not sure you'd get away with those out here.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
MuddyMudskipper said:
That's pretty much what I do. That board is so MASSIVE it is easy to get lost in just one thread.
I though I recognized your name.

I am "Kermit13" on ADV Rider, "Kermit" on KTM Talk.

flux

Observer
I post on ADV...mostly in the "East" forum under DOG- Dualsporters Of Georgia. We have a good gang there. I had to leave ADV once just b/c I couldn't be around all the negativity that hangs around in there. I am really just a sensitive artist! :sombrero:

We did a nice loop locally yesterday...one thing I need to add to my bike are some risers. I also got to ride a Husky TE610...sure would be nice to have that 6th gear!

Have you guys ever tried the dual-star mirrors that mount directly on the handlebar? They don't have a stalk...I used them on my 525 EXC and liked them...took awhile to get used to looking under your arm but they actually work pretty good (all I use mirrors for is looking for my riding buddies' lights to make sure they are still there, and for watching for cops!) so vibrations aren't that big a deal to me.

As for grips... I would like to try out these new Pro Taper pillowtop grips...they look great.

flux

Observer
Here's a pic I took yesterday of what we affectionately call the "First Section." It is 5 minutes from my house. When it rains, this place becomes and ultra slick mud hole filled to the brim with red GA clay. This hill in the background was fun to come down...can you say 'fishtail?' ;) Last time we were here, there were some truck guys trying their damndest to get up it...it was prett amazing actually.

Sorry if this is too big, I do not know how to shrink the sizes.
Troy001.jpg

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Kermit said:
This will help fuel slosh in that big 7 gallon tank.

Hmmmm....that's similar to what road and drag racers use in their fuel cells to reduce weight transfer. I wonder if it breaks down or how it affects the fuel guage?

Kermit said:
Flux...I have never run those type of mirrors, will have to check them out.

Depending on which Dual-Stars you use I've heard they tend to fall apart on a "buzzy" bike.

I might try these mirrors.

They have some good ideas for mirrors over here.

Kermit said:
The ProTaper pillow grips look cool too.
pro_pillow.jpg

Those look comfy.

Clutch

<---Pass
MuddyMudskipper said:
I wonder if it breaks down or how it affects the fuel guage?

I don't know, it has been getting great reviews in the moto magazines.

I am putting on a 5.8 gallon tank on my 300, for Baja in March, I may try that foam...it's only $50.

flux

Observer
Muddy, my bud has those folding KTM mirrors on his Super Enduro...they are very nice but I think one crash will destroy them...just my opinion. Really when you get down to it, you have to look at mirrors as expendable.

TxRider

Observer
If your looking at at a 640 for just poking around that huge 7 gallon tank is a bit big.

You might want to look around for a 625SXC. I love mine for a lightweight DS machine.

You can drop a factory 5 gallon tank on it for about a 200 mile range. Lighter and easier to deal with, but the U.S. models aren't street legal so you have to add lights, fortunately the euro version is street legal so the factory parts to do it are easy to order and plug in.

Or maybe even a 625 SMC.

If I was just hauling one around on my truck for a little exploring from camp though I'd probably just stick with a little 250cc dual sport. To me a 600 class or bigger means the bike is big enough to go without the truck. :)

TxRider

Observer
If your looking at at a 640 for just poking around that huge 7 gallon tank is a bit big.

You might want to look around for a 625SXC. I love mine for a lightweight DS machine.

You can drop a factory 5 gallon tank on it for about a 200 mile range. Lighter and easier to deal with, but the U.S. models aren't street legal so you have to add lights, fortunately the euro version is street legal so the factory parts to do it are easy to order and plug in.

Or maybe even a 625 SMC.

Then again, now that KTM has ended the LC4 engine line and is coming out with a whole new 600 class bike redesigned from the ground up maybe waiting a year or two might be best.

If I was just hauling one around on my truck for a little exploring from camp though I'd probably just stick with a little 250cc dual sport. To me a 600 class or bigger means the bike is big enough to go without the truck. :)

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
TxRider said:

Or maybe even a 625 SMC.

Then again, now that KTM has ended the LC4 engine line and is coming out with a whole new 600 class bike redesigned from the ground up maybe waiting a year or two might be best.

The bike and its big tank have served me very well. Especially in places where fuel is a bit sparse. I took it to DV last year and where the DRZ400 was running dry I kept going.

You are right in that the bike is big enough to go without the truck but it is small enough to go with the truck as well. Having a bike like this gives me options for the short, medium, and long hauls. For the trips I do bring the bike with me it isn't merely used for poking around the campsite. Heck I could use a TW200 for that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94