Finally decided on my first moto

damundsen87

Finally picked my first bike. Its a 1988 Honda NX650 with 8500 miles. I need to iron out some little quirks but its in nice shape and runs really well..jpg

mr_ed

Toolbag
Nice find man! Those old thumpers are cool. Not sure if you can find racks for a NX...doesn't mean they don't, I've just never looked. If you weld it isn't hard to whip up some homebuilt racks out of tube or angle. My old roommate built some sweet ones for his KLR, and I've built ones for my V-strom and my Ulysses.

Cody1771

Explorer
I was actually thinking about doing just that and using some old GI ammo cans as poormans panniers

lots of guys do this and regret it quite quickly, ammo cans are VERY heavy. google seahorse cases, they are like pelicans but at a fraction of the price, and still are high quality and MADE IN USA with a lifetime warrenty. i think you can get 3 cases for like $150 shipped.

finding racks might be difficult, maybe twisted throttle has something? or happy-trails? you will have to do some googling. nice bike!!

transalper

Explorer
Does anyone know of a good way to mount hard bags to these bikes?

Hepco and Becker make racks for that vintage of NX.

I miss my NX as well . . . . .

amuvegat.jpg

Sent from mobile device. Pardon the brevity.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, that's a great bike!
The plastics look like they are in perfect shape too.

I have an '88 that i bought in 2009. They are really great bikes and will last a long time.
They are very forgiving and with the right set of tires they'r like your own little tractor.
I'm on my second set of D606 tires and they fit the bike really well all around.

As for racks, I use a set of Hepco Becker. The outfit I bought mine from is no longer around but you can find them new.
Once you have the rack, any soft or hard cases will work.

You're going to have a lot of fun!

damundsen87

Yeah I am not gonna lie the fact that it was used in the camel trophy was the final push that talked me out of the KLR650. Plus up here in northern Utah there are tons of KLr's but I haven't seen another NX. I put the stock fender back on it and cleaned it up a bit and its looking even better now. I need to do a little bit of carb work on it cause it came from Colorado and a lot lower elevation so it seems like the carb is giving way too much gas. Other than that I am loving it and loving the gas mileage. I appreciate all the friendly advice and help from everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles