F450 vs F550 for Poor Man's Earthroamer

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
Having just gone round and round with insurance companies for our new camper, you need to take the insurance issues and registrations issues seriously if you are contemplating a medium-duty truck. From what I read while researching our issue (something else entirely) in some cases you either can't get it registered as an RV conversion or pleasure vehicle or can only do so with specific restrictions. Doing a build, you have the additional problem of maybe having it be a commercial vehicle initially and then hassling to get it converted to pleasure or RV registration.

Insurance companies don't like to do stuff "differently" ... in our case we wanted to take title in the names of our two revocable trusts. Could only find one insurance company who would do it that way, and the rate was a lot higher than everyone else. Finally we gave up and just titled it jointly in our individual names.

brp

Observer
Haven, do you have special info regarding GVW? It seems like, especially with a 4x4, they would assume that it is not only driven on flat surfaces? They don't list on on road gvw and a cross country gvw. I have seen that done with military trailers.

I probably am not the first to say this, but I am hopeful I can keep my gvw in check. Thanks

Carlyle

Explorer
i would be looking at the Dodge's too. Standard with engine brake and Aisin transmission in a chassis cab.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
wth?

One of these dinky little things:
http://www.easyexport.us/lt/vehicle...90-toyota-sunrader-non-repairable-va-danville

Any F350 chassis cab drw can do that. I wouldn't even insure the camper at all. It's a cheap POS anyways! Just insure the truck, the camper is simply cargo. Check 1st to see what insurance is like for a 350 drw flatbed is like.

A used F350 drw with a used 11' slide-in camper would be similar. (Don't forget the Airlift air bags) F350 drw's have 5000+ pound payload capacity.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Haven, do you have special info regarding GVW? It seems like, especially with a 4x4, they would assume that it is not only driven on flat surfaces? They don't list on on road gvw and a cross country gvw. I have seen that done with military trailers.

I probably am not the first to say this, but I am hopeful I can keep my gvw in check. Thanks

Being a driver in the military, on all our equipment, if not specified otherwise, the weight rating is for off-road. For example, a 2 1/2 ton truck (the ol' Deuce and a half being one, along with the modern M-1078) is actually rated for 5 tons on hardball pavement. Due to this, I've always planned on cutting my Jeep's mfr. recommended cargo weight limits in half for off road use. Not a hard number like you were hoping, but maybe it could help with personal decision-making.

brp

Observer
photo.jpgPulled the trigger!!! 2002, F450, 7.3, 4x4, 140" wheelbase, 45,000 miles. Now that I have it, please don't tell me if there was something better to do. I bought it and that is that. Now the fun can begin!

Thanks for everybody's help.....so far. I am sure there will be lots of questions along the way.

The truck has 4.30 gears, or something close to that, with a posi. After my first extended highway drive I know that I need some higher gearing. Time will tell if I get that from the taller tires. The noise/rpm of the engine seems to really exaggerate around 65mph, which is about where I will want to cruise.

I am thinking I will start from the ground up, especially as I don't have the camper shell yet.

Wheels/tires and suspension if needed.

I am looking at Rickson wheels with 39" or 42" MPT 81's. Any suggestions would be well received though. It seems like there must be a way to make some factory rims work as super singles?

I am also wondering about suspension with larger tires and the unit bearing in the front axle, I keep hearing they are a weak link when running over sized tires.

3 point pivot flatbed?

Again, kind of open-ended. Throw some gas on the flames! Thanks

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Nope. That's a darn good start. Pics, darnit!
-
If I remember right 2200 RPM was the sweet spot with our F450's. So yeah, she should be screamin a little at 65mph. Who needs a flatbed? Is it possible to strengthen the Toyota Sunrider things frame and then just bolt it straight to the frame?

brp

Observer
I just added a picture, I hope you can see it. That is a great question, it would be nice to ditch all the weight, that flatbed is BEEFY. I am not sure yet if I will need to raise the Sunrader up off the flatbed so that the cabover clears the cab.

If I did that it would create a nice storage area under the floor of the Sunrader, and require some type of flatbed.

If I can clear the cabover with the Sunrader I will try to strengthen the Sunrader's floor and sell the flatbed, put the money towards the project and lose a lot of weight.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
You got so many options with that size truck. I've even seen people pull those HI-LO popup trailers off thier frames and slap them up on a flatbed truck. I doubt weight is really going to be a huge concern with that big of a truck.

brp

Observer
Now that I am family man I want to go with something really comfortable, that is why I like the Sunrader. I have an ATC pop-up right now, gaining space and having the ability to be in the camper while in motion will be big pluses. If there was not a kid to think about a pop-up type arrangement would be great, lower COG, better MPG.

I am planning on making a pass through where the rear window is. It won't be really easy to get through, but will allow people to talk, pass food, whatever, while in motion. Someone could also conceivably sleep on the bench seat in the truck (with a seat belt digging in their back).

Huffy

Observer
BRP, I've been on the Poor Mans Earthroamer quest for some time evaluating everything from cold molding to aluminum exoskeletons with Nida Core. Even considered the real deal since the depreciation on a used ER should not be too bad. Then I stumbled onto your post and the Sunraider solution. After a week of thought it appears to be the ultimate low cost compromise and something I can pull the trigger on now -vs- waiting a few more years till retirement.

brp

Observer
Huffy, that is awesome. I feel like I am doing my part, giving back! At some point you can't look around on the internet anymore, you just gotta go.

I splurged on my truck, probably spent too much but it was what I wanted and local, but I really think you could do what I am doing and come out with something very nice for around $30k, maybe even less if you were more patient than me and can wait for deals. My goal is to be ready for a trip to Death Valley next Spring, gives me a year. I know I won't be the first or last with an optimistic time frame, but if I nice Sunrader becomes available locally, I could see this all happening fairly quickly.

Now just don't hog the perfect Sunrader from me.

Once I really get underway I will start a build thread. I made some calls to mini storage /warehouse type place to see about renting a workspace.

For now I am going to get the decals off, maybe order some sound-proofing for the cab and give it a nice bath.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
A 7.3 with 45k miles is ALMOST unbelievable! Great find. What RPM are you turning at 65? If you gear it taller it might struggle a bit on hills. Banks makes a great power upgrade that is conservative and works. My close friend has had a 6.9 and two 7.3's and put the appropriate Banks kit on every one and never had a problem.

Huffy

Observer
BRP, Have you found reliable weight estimates for the Sunrader, Mirage or other fiberglass campers? Any guesses? There are several Toyota based, including Sunraders here around Jupiter, FL. Some that look like runners in which case the chassis + a stake bed may make a good first project for my son. 2 birds, one stone. I'll buy as soon as a decent shell or runner turns up. Already have the 2002 7.3 F250. Are you within travel distance to S.FL? Will keep you posted on what turns up if you are interested. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior