F450 vs F550 for Poor Man's Earthroamer

brp

Observer
I bought a Sunrader and I have begun my project. I am detailing it at:

http://sunroamer4x4.blogspot.com/

I have the F450, the Sunrader, the MPT81's mounted on 1stAttack rims, the Bushwacker cutouts (not installed), the Dynatrac free spin kit, and the workspace.

I recently started tearing down the Sunrader so the build blog should start seeing a lot more activity.

Check it out and thanks.

nitro-gear

Supporting Sponsor - Differential & Axle Parts
F450 / f550 RV

Very Cool build! I've actually visualized this conversion whenever I see these toyota motorhomes!

Our F450 actually has the S110 rear which is a coniderable upgrade from the Dana 80, which is too small in my opinion for a camper type vehicle. Ours is running 2" lift height and Bushwackers to clear the 42" tires (11r22.5) on rickson wheels. We recently swapped to the 2005+ Coil spring F450/550 wide track frontend which gives a much wider track, tighter turning radius, better ride, and beefy 1550 ujoint, big ball joints, knuckles, etc. I'm planning to swap the wheels to some custom rickson 20" wheels to run the MPT81's. While the 11r22.5 ride nicely on the highway, it would be nice to air down some on the dirt roads.

Contact us for more info. This is a very worthwhile modification for your Overland Adventure vehicle. We also offer Lockers and limited Slip Differentials, Replacement parts, and much more.

1012708_567918679913560_1884465958_n.jpg

643976_570259123012849_1679388456_n.jpg

More info here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5564587&type=3

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ght=nitro+f450

Carlyle

Explorer
Don't forget Bushwacker "cutout" flares for the front. More tire, less lift. I believe the Turtle Expedition were the ones behind BW making them for the SD platform.

Jack

I contacted Bushwacker about flares for my truck and they told me no, and to "check their Facebook page".... I hope somebody else knows who to talk to there.

Carlyle

Explorer
Thanks!

Now I wonder how close a Ford flare will work on a Dodge? Without spending $300 to find out they don't.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Just realized you had a dodge. Not really sure, they don't have the 5500 listed or cutouts listed.

All that being said, I know there are work trucks and fleet truck 5500s with cut outs out there. I'd shoot them an email or call'm

Back on truck to the OPs build. Pretty cool setup!

Darwin

Explorer
Any update on this project? Have you driven the truck with the Conti's yet? and if so how does it ride? Excited to see how the camper turns out.

85Chevota

I checked out your blog recently and noticed you had the truck and camper ready.. did you ever have the chance to join the two together?

for this i personally would use a fun ton. f350 3500hd or dodges which is a 3500 also i believe

and i would go gas, sooo much cheaper in every aspect. every aspect.

look here, toyota used a half ton with an 8 inch axle.

just how much truck do u need?

the 450/550 is a commercial truck with commercial costs
price tires
price rear brakes., gears, suspension parts, whew.

ride quality is south of hay wagon.

another important consideration is frame rail width: toyota dimension to whatever, to get that camper to slide on.

ive done all those commercial trucks, as they are common in heavy civil const.
they are no fun,unless your a 18K service truck or such like. Are you going to gross 19-24K? or have all your weight over 6 feet from the ground, then if so, a 550 is your future, if not ,look elsewhere.

at work i would use any excuse to avoid driving them

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94