mitsu fuso fg with a fwc?

haven

Expedition Leader
vertical clearance

I think you'll have a clearance issue between the top of the truck cab and the camper cab-over.

The Four Wheel Camper is designed to fit in the bed of a pickup. The Fuso FG's cab is taller than a typical pickup's cab. So you'll need to do some careful measuring to see if the camper's cab-over section will extend far enough above the truck cab. Here are a few notes that may help.

The Mitsubishi Fuso USA web site has a pair of PDFs that provide information for aftermarket upfitters of the FG. You can find the files here
http://www.mitfuso.com/mitsubishi-fuso/pages/bodybuild.html

Drawings showing body dimensions of the FG cab/chassis are found on pages 25 and 26 of the file called "FE-FG Part 2." Page 25 is for the short wheelbase model, and page 26 is the long wheelbase FG.

The drawings show that the distance from the frame rail behind the cab to the top of the cab is 59.6 inches (61.5 inches to the top of the marker light on the roof of the cab.) So let's say it's 62 inches from the frame to the top of the cab.

You'll need to mount a flatbed or some sort of sub-frame on top of the truck frame to give the camper a place to sit. Let's assume the flatbed is 8 inches thick. That makes the distance from the top of the flatbed to the cab roof (62 - 8 ) = 54 inches.

the Four Wheel Campers web site says the height of their camper with the top down is 58 inches. This is to the top of the camper. The bottom of the cab-over section is lower. I'm taking a guess that it's about 48 inches above the bottom of the camper.

So my flying guesstimate is that the camper would have to be raised at least six inches to make the cab-over fit above the roof of the cab.

This is not all bad -- you could make a big storage compartment for the camper to sit on. Or you could raise the flatbed so the storage drawers fit underneath. That way the storage would stay with the truck even when the camper is removed.

One additional consideration: The Fuso is a medium duty truck with an 8000 lb cargo capacity. The Four Wheel Campers models are particularly light, barely 1200 lbs. The result will be a very uncomfortable, stiff-legged ride. If you do go this route, I'd recommend putting softer springs on the truck, or always carrying an extra 200 gallons (1600 lbs) of drinking water!

The Alaskan Camper is another alternative. It's a hardwall popup, and its construction makes it considerably heavier than the Four Wheel Camper. It might be a better match to the Fuso.

Chip Haven

Gold Boy

Adventurer
Chip, thanks for your very informative replie. :iagree:

I think you'll have a clearance issue between the top of the truck cab and the camper cab-over.

The Four Wheel Camper is designed to fit in the bed of a pickup. The Fuso FG's cab is taller than a typical pickup's cab. So you'll need to do some careful measuring to see if the camper's cab-over section will extend far enough above the truck cab. Here are a few notes that may help.

the cab-over part would be set back a little from the cab.

The Mitsubishi Fuso USA web site has a pair of PDFs that provide information for aftermarket upfitters of the FG. You can find the files here
http://www.mitfuso.com/mitsubishi-fuso/pages/bodybuild.html

thanks

Drawings showing body dimensions of the FG cab/chassis are found on pages 25 and 26 of the file called "FE-FG Part 2." Page 25 is for the short wheelbase model, and page 26 is the long wheelbase FG.

The drawings show that the distance from the frame rail behind the cab to the top of the cab is 59.6 inches (61.5 inches to the top of the marker light on the roof of the cab.) So let's say it's 62 inches from the frame to the top of the cab.

You'll need to mount a flatbed or some sort of sub-frame on top of the truck frame to give the camper a place to sit. Let's assume the flatbed is 8 inches thick. That makes the distance from the top of the flatbed to the cab roof (62 - 8 ) = 54 inches.

yes, with 3 point linkage.

the Four Wheel Campers web site says the height of their camper with the top down is 58 inches. This is to the top of the camper. The bottom of the cab-over section is lower. I'm taking a guess that it's about 48 inches above the bottom of the camper.

So my flying guesstimate is that the camper would have to be raised at least six inches to make the cab-over fit above the roof of the cab.

the camper will be set back as in the dhackney's big foot.

This is not all bad -- you could make a big storage compartment for the camper to sit on. Or you could raise the flatbed so the storage drawers fit underneath. That way the storage would stay with the truck even when the camper is removed.

exactly.

One additional consideration: The Fuso is a medium duty truck with an 8000 lb cargo capacity. The Four Wheel Campers models are particularly light, barely 1200 lbs. The result will be a very uncomfortable, stiff-legged ride. If you do go this route, I'd recommend putting softer springs on the truck, or always carrying an extra 200 gallons (1600 lbs) of drinking water!

or fuel.

The Alaskan Camper is another alternative. It's a hardwall popup, and its construction makes it considerably heavier than the Four Wheel Camper. It might be a better match to the Fuso.

true.

Chip Haven

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Something like this, but with storage space where the back half of the crew cab is located (Hackney style)???
Canter.jpg

I think that you would be better off with a slightly larger and better equiped camper on a Fuso/canter chassis. The one in the pic is from Northstar. Also I would think long and hard before buying a soft side pop-up camper unless all you camping will be in warm & fairly dry weather.

Cheers
Mark

Gold Boy

Adventurer
OutbacKamper said:
Something like this, but with storage space where the back half of the crew cab is located (Hackney style)???
Canter.jpg

I think that you would be better off with a slightly larger and better equiped camper on a Fuso/canter chassis. The one in the pic is from Northstar. Also I would think long and hard before buying a soft side pop-up camper unless all you camping will be in warm & fairly dry weather.

Cheers
Mark

thanks Mark

:drool: over that crew cab.......

Northstar, ummm certainly a consideration.... :beer:

mild climate temperature, i hope.

:26_7_2:

Gold Boy

Adventurer
kerry said:
I found this one for sale a few days ago but it was already sold by the time I contacted the owner. I think the ad was quite old. I only talked to the guy's wife but I was curious as to whether the sleeper behind the cab was capable of providing seating capacity for additional passengers.

http://www.arizonaworktruck.com/4x4 Fuso Diesel Flat Bed with a Camper 07-13-06 inf.htm

thanks Kerry

was just thinking about the behind the cab sleeper idea ..... could be used for extra storage, or for a friend to sleep in.

i would imagine there could be a lot illegality's for seating use..... ummm

awesome!

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks kerry, that is a good example of how an additional storage (or passenger?) space could be added to a stock Fuso and leave space for a stock camper (although I think this one is a custom job).

From the pictures it sure looks like the box behind the Fuso cab was designed for additional passengers.

UMH_ID_8540_2_Image_number_150982098.jpg

Cheers
Mark

kerry

Expedition Leader
I found it on an ad for sale in N. California by a guy named Ron Miller. Phone number had been disconnected but I was able to track down another number in Mexico. I only talked to his wife but I may call back and try to talk to him about who built it. I guessed from the wording of the ad, that he was not the original owner, but I could be wrong.
It seems like a possible solution to the lack of a crewcab 4x4 Fuso in the US.

Here's the ad:

http://www.wheelbynet.com/docs/auto/view_ad2.php3?ad_ref=autoT3D1HUS3I7J0&state=CA

dhackney

Expedition Leader
haven said:

I recommend custom springs to match your weight regardless of what you build. The stock spring packs & overloads are one-size-fits all. Aftermarket shocks also make a huge difference in compliance and handling.

As usual, Chip provides a very important insight about the FG: 8k capacity.

Add lightness. It's a great chassis, but if you pork it up as much as we did I think you compromise a lot of its best qualities.

A basement storage compartment is very, very handy. Makes a great wine cellar.

Big fuel range is very handy. Lots of water is very handy. But remember, add lightness. Do as I say, not as I did. :)

I also agree with the comment regarding soft side pop ups. If you will always be in the desert, probably not an issue. Anywhere with rainfall, etc., probably an issue. In our proof of concept test we watched a couple with young kids struggle to set up a soft side camper in the rain. Everything in the interior got soaked. Not happy campers. That ended any thoughts on our part of a soft side popup solution.

boblynch

Adventurer
Mark's correct - Northstar will build any of their popup or hardsided TCs as a flatbed model (see Laredo model on a Ford). I've also included a few photos of a Fuso FE 2WD model with TC. This guy enclosed the area below the TC himself to create a clean looking rig with lots of storage.

If the TC extends over the cabover I'd be concerned about frame flex and clearance (see Doug's test photo). If you went with the FWC TC I'd consider a short wheelbase Fuso for maximum mobility.

A series of roll out drawers could also be used to increase storage and/or raise the height of the TC (http://www.tuffyproducts.com/truckbox/115.html).

Good luck,
Bob

P4080003.jpg P7040009.jpg WEBLAREDO_F250_TTOP_1.jpg IMG_5922.jpg

Bajaroad

Adventurer
PoP-Ups

Doug - the deserts may be no place for pop-ups either. We camp in California's Mojave desert 3-4 times per year (dirtbike riding), and it can be one of the most windy places around. I can handle cold and the worry of leaks, but the noise of a flapping tent wall all night can drive one crazy. Even our 25klb Bluebird sways.
When it's not windy it's one of the best places to camp and find some elbow room.

-Brent

Gold Boy

Adventurer
Bajaroad said:
Doug - the deserts may be no place for pop-ups either. We camp in California's Mojave desert 3-4 times per year (dirtbike riding), and it can be one of the most windy places around. I can handle cold and the worry of leaks, but the noise of a flapping tent wall all night can drive one crazy. Even our 25klb Bluebird sways.
When it's not windy it's one of the best places to camp and find some elbow room.

-Brent

Brent, i would imagine the Alaskan camper would be ok, in the situations you have mentioned?

jhrodd

Adventurer
http://www.s-scamper.com/ponderosa.php

Here's a shot of my camper taken last week in S.California. It still fits in a normal parking space with the scooter on the back. S & S finally updated their website to show this model : www.s-scamper.com/ponderosa.php

Jeffrey

Attachments

• IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:

Gold Boy

Adventurer
jhrodd said:
Here's a shot of my camper taken last week in S.California. It still fits in a normal parking space with the scooter on the back. S & S finally updated their website to show this model : www.s-scamper.com/ponderosa.php

Jeffrey

that is very cool setup!

however... for my off road requirements a lower profile would be much more advantageous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12