Thread: Expedition Sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbike28 View Post
    He has shown several pictures of the truck set up as camp... but I disagree, he is using the truck to get to the riding spots, living out of the truck and taking full advantage of both vehicles. No different to me than driving to hiking or mtn biking trails or water to paddle... I wish I could live on the road for as long as he has!
    Hmm, well that's what hapeens when you start following a journey in the middle. Just went and viewed his site and sure enough, there is a truck w/camper and trailer. And to clarify, I didn't mean disappointing as a negative, I was just under the impression he was 3 wheelin it..it is still a very cool journey and neat to read about.
    "Credo Quia Absurdum"

'97 Dodge Ram 1500 4x (Daily Driver)
    '93 XJ Sport (Adventure Vehicle)

Default opps sorry

I thought you meant it as a negative, my bad ; )

I do love his trip!
    Jay

www.jaycapers.com
    02 DC Tacoma with a Flippac and other stuff
    93 FZJ80 - stock but dual lockers and less than 200k miles

74 FJ40, 91 Hilux, 98 4Runner, 98 Rav4, 02 Conqueror Compact Trailer - All Sold

Let's not forget what still rates as one of the ultimate motorbike/sidecar journeys of all time: Theresa Wallach and Florence Blenkiron, from London to Cape Town. In 1935. On a single-cylinder Panther motorcycle, with a sidecar and a trailer.

A motorcycle with sidecar is a natural combination for overlanding. I'd love to try one of the two-wheel-drive Ural combinations.
    1973 FJ40, 1985 Defender 110, 1982 911SC, 1970 Triumph Trophy, 2012 Tacoma (JATAC), 2004 F350, 1993 FZJ75 Troopy, Thorn Nomad.

Overland Expo

ConserVentures

Default Dauntless

Dauntless does dual sport sidecars and I've seen a Hannigan or two on a BMW GS.

But a Ural, particularly a later model one should be up to the task and they're so basic that it would be easy to fix on the road.
    Crisco: F650 Dakar, Fat in the can
    Trixie: Norton 850 Commando

I got these lines in my face trying to straighten out the wrinkles in my life
    Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs just need to get used to it
    There is always a moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in
    At its core, adventure is the willingness to commit to an uncertain outcome with and open heart and mind

Default Dauntless

I have been drooling over his enduro sidecars. Do you think something like a Vstrom or KLR would be better than a ural offroad and on?
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

1986 Toyota Landcruiser "The Colonel"
    Lots of stuff
    Build Thread on Mud http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...ry-2009-a.html

2002 Toyota Tacoma DC limited TRD Crew "Hi Ho"
    Bilsteins, Terra Graplers, factory e locker

Offroad... well IMHO, not really. If you buy a Patrol or Gear-Up, you get 2wd and reverse, which puts you way ahead of a Vstrom or KLR in an offroad or even expedition style trip with lots off offroad sections. That being said, a KLR is one of the best 1 bike combos on the market. Huge following, easy parts availability,etc and much more forgiving onroad which sounds funny to say.

I've always looked at it like this, if I was doing a trip across Eastern Europe through Russian and Mongolia, the Ural would be top choice. Also a great choice stateside anymore. They are very easy bikes to work on and the 07/08 bikes especially are really good bikes for what they are. If I was doing a trip to Central or South America or down through Africa, KLR all the way.

Default BeemrChef

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Ram View Post
    I haven't seen mentioned anything of trailering the rig in any of what I have read. Or seen any pics of the beemer being trailered. If true, it's kinda of disappointing.
    Just to ad my 2cents...Yes, Ara has an RV with a trailer. It is a C class Ford Econoline. But that is actually his home, he doesn't have neither house nor an apartment. When he set out on his journey, he got rid of everything, what would keep him in one place. So where the rest of you riders go back to your homes after riding for a day, a week, or a month, he goes back to his RV. Ara usually parks his RV in a one place and than discovers the area, if it is a National Park or the entire state, on his BMW, usually traveling for several days, camping in his tent, just like any one else. You can go to http://theoasisofmysoul.com/ and if you follow up the blog for over the last 2 and 1/2 years, you will find out more about his journey.

Tomas
    KTM 640 Adventure

We did Seattle to the North slope of Alaska and back ( 6,000 miles ) in July on 2 solo's,I'm planning the same trip on my ADV hack sometime in the next several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

Reviving a OLD thread !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

Yes! Thanks. I ould LOVE a side car... just cant justify the $$cost for what I want... someday, maybe...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast