Expedition Sidecar

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
That 1st BMW with a single side swing arm on the leading link front end is something special. I wonder if the sidecar runs the same wheel.

The amount of rake on the blue BMW is interesting too. I bet it is stable on the straights and a pig in the corners.

But these are some great examples. I think my “expedition” traveling by motorcycle is over. I too many injuries make it uncomfortable and dangerous. But my wife and I have been discussing making another sidecar outfit to use internationally. The ability to ship it airfreight in 2 boxes as well as the higher level of interaction with the locals compared to 4 wheel travel is enticing. This would be for shorter trips rather than living in the truck for extended periods.

lonestrom

Adventurer
Yes! Thanks. I ould LOVE a side car... just cant justify the $$cost for what I want... someday, maybe...

Build your own !!
I have built 2 and both cost me well under $1,000 ( not including the Bike ) !!.
9b42167732097c341cfbeabc0f2b95df.jpg

0d162cec9e8296615c4ae412b815e364.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

metalcarver

A year ago I took delivery of my 2017 Honda Africa Twin with DMC enduro sidecar installed. Previously I had a Ural gearup and though I had a lot of fun and a lot of back country trips I simply had my fill of rowing up hills with the gearshift like a 66 VW beetle. The Honda has 94 hp and the Ural 41hp. Plus the Honda is 200 pounds lighter. Personally, I believe 1 wheel drive and 94 horsepower can go more places than 2wd and 41 horsepower. IMHO

Anyway, pics of the build:

DSC_0001-XL.jpg

DSC_0041-XL.jpg

DSC_0136-L.jpg

IMG_20190920_172205024%20%281%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0415-XL.jpg

DSC_0517-XL.jpg

DSC_0801-XL.jpg

DSC_0635-XL.jpg

DSC_0891-XL.jpg

Malamute

Observer
Im doing a slow motion project with an 84 H-D Low Rider and DMC M72 sidecar. I dont know the sub-model, I got it used. Ive had to search around and fabricate some mounts, got some from DMC, some of which i ended up modifying, and some from Freedom Sidecars. Nobody was certain what this vintage of H-D would entail to mount my car, so I studied and figured it out as best I could.

Im not expecting to do any serious rocky country or roads, but the places I used to ride my 47 H-D in the past shouldnt be a problem. Dry Creek Road and Schnebly Hill Road near Sedona being a couple, as well as many many miles of Forest Service roads all around Flag and N Az.

Basic bike, the Low Rider, or variant of the FX type, the stripped down version of the Beluga Class Land Yacht FLH Full Dressers. remove 150-200 lbs of extra stuff, add 2-4 inches of fork length, the bike handles much lighter and faster, more lean angle, better ground clearance, riding over normal city curbs and parking blocks is not a problem, nor many rocky roads if you pick a good line. It also looks vastly better than the leviathan full dressers to my eye. Its had some motor work done, its a bit friskier than stock. It seems plenty for sidecar use. Its going to get FL shift and brake controls, old style halfmoon footboards, FXWG front end, intending to add sidecar trees when I turn some up. Those trees also have steering dampers that were available.

IMG_0044 - Copy.JPG

and with sidecar,

IMG_0269 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

billiebob

A year ago I took delivery of my 2017 Honda Africa Twin with DMC enduro sidecar installed. Previously I had a Ural gearup and though I had a lot of fun and a lot of back country trips I simply had my fill of rowing up hills with the gearshift like a 66 VW beetle. The Honda has 94 hp and the Ural 41hp. Plus the Honda is 200 pounds lighter. Personally, I believe 1 wheel drive and 94 horsepower can go more places than 2wd and 41 horsepower. IMHO

Anyway, pics of the build:

DSC_0001-XL.jpg

DSC_0041-XL.jpg

DSC_0136-L.jpg

IMG_20190920_172205024%20%281%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0415-XL.jpg

DSC_0517-XL.jpg

DSC_0801-XL.jpg

DSC_0635-XL.jpg

DSC_0891-XL.jpg
That looks like an incredibly comfortable ride.
Beautiful !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste