2007 Fleetwood Cobalt

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
In spring of this year we purchased a Fleetwood Cobalt. My wife and I spent last spring and summer tent camping with our new born. We do a lot of high elevation camping, so tent camping in all different types of weather let us to looking for a Jeep friendly trailer alternative. After months of research the Cobalt seemed to fit our budget and lifestyle. Pics to follow

xkid

Adventurer
Nice. Just picked up a 07 myself. Itching to get it out.Were those racks already on there?

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Nice. Just picked up a 07 myself. Itching to get it out.Were those racks already on there?

They were built and installed by the previous owner to haul a kayak. I would like to move the basket from the Cherokee to the trailer, but I either have to move bars on the trailer or build a third matching one for the shorter distance.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Nice looking trailer and already in use. Good work sir!

Bob

Thanks! I thought hard about buying a cheaper used pop up trailer and upgrading to my liking especially after reading so many great builds on here, but being able to spend more of my shop time on the Jeep has worked out well for now. Some larger tires may be in the future, but it performed better than expected stock. And more importantly, more time in the mountains and less time in the shop is a win for this time of year!

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Thanks! I have been following you build since you started it and is one of the reasons I went the pop up route. There are great tips as my trailer evolves over the next couple years.

That looks sweet> Tell me about the suspension and the tires did you have do much to make it offroad worthy? I am thinking of buying a tent trailer I want something light easy to tow as I have a 08 jeep 4dr rubicon. I am not sure which brands are better and more durable. So how did you pick the fleetwood. ? Ant suggestions on what brands/models to stay away from or to specifically look for?

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
That looks sweet> Tell me about the suspension and the tires did you have do much to make it offroad worthy? I am thinking of buying a tent trailer I want something light easy to tow as I have a 08 jeep 4dr rubicon. I am not sure which brands are better and more durable. So how did you pick the fleetwood. ? Ant suggestions on what brands/models to stay away from or to specifically look for?
Other than the rack, everything is bone stock. My initial criteria was as small a size as possible in length and weight. I also had an under 5k budget. For pop ups with an 8 ft bed I did not find many factory options with any ground clearance. Correct me if i am wrong, but i believe the cobalt is a foot narrower an a standard pop up (6ft) and has decent ground clearance (fleetwood advertised it as an "offroad model"), but the tires are still fairly small. Will it go anywhere my Cherokee will? No. But I had no issue on the terrain we encountered and was impressed with its capabilities. Once you step up from an 8 ft bed, not only does the size jump up, but the weight is quite a bit more, which was a big compromise for my needs, but there are a lot more options to choose from.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
I have not had the trailer long enough to know how durable it is. Reviews seem good, I did not see real negative comments in my research.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
This will indeed fit your needs. I'd give it two thumbs up.

Thanks for all your fleetwood posts. They have been great motivation the past fall and winter for my cobalt Searches. Expect to see more camping pictures from me this summer!

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Very very cool. We ended up with an Evolution E1 as I really wanted to bring a motorcycle. I absolutely love it and get darn good economy with a '12 JKUR, but it is a bit big and we don't use that many features it has (fridge barely ever, and inside stove only once). The really nice features for us (14 month old now) have been the sink for cleaning dishes, the shower for me after a day's trail riding, and mostly the BBQ outside. Once I heal up from back surgery, it will be getting many more miles.

But congrats on yours, I'd like to see what you will do with it, and of course more pics. Out of curiosity, what does it weigh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94